What's new

Intel Macs - ticking time bomb?

- AFAIK, DP on Windows is horrible mess, do not recommend going that way,
One might ask, How far is "As Far..." from your perspective?

I use DP on a Mac (where it works very nicely), so my AFAIK is extremely limited vis a vis PCs, but I do know others who seem to do ok on a DP PC.

A hackintosh is as much of a time bomb as an Intel Mac. As soon as Apple withdraw support for Intel Macs and build software for only Apple Silicon they will be frozen in time. It’s a platform with no future.
Yep, I've been running Hacks for the last 12-15 years with no troubles at all - but I just retired my last build from 2016 and recently moved to an M2 Ultra because of the "writing on the wall"

.... aaaand nothing of value was lost. :rofl:

I never understand the attraction of Chrome. There are much better browsers built on the Chromium engine: most of them aren't as appalling inefficient; and some of them actually care about your security/privacy.
I keep trying to change to a different browser and keep not getting it done. Chrome isn’t even my default browser on my new machine and I still end up using it for various reasons, none of them especially good or convincing.

But the point was more that it’s not just Apple that’s stopped support for old systems. Over time you lose support for many programs, and browsers as a class are such that some websites won’t work with older browsers.

A hackintosh is as much of a time bomb as an Intel Mac. As soon as Apple withdraw support for Intel Macs and build software for only Apple Silicon they will be frozen in time. It’s a platform with no future.
At least not the hardware... you can still use windows.

When you tire of that old version of Microsoft office...

No reason to change at this point except that Word 2008 crashes any time the program exceeded 4GB of memory and it has a bad memory leak with track changes…

Wow, a 4GB Word document!
Does that contain your list of sample libraries? :)
A lot of graphics I suppose?
No, not the document, the memory claimed by word in the activity monitor. As soon as it hits 4GB, the program crashes. The problem has a bad memory leak in track changes. So once I start using that, I always know the program will be crashing, it's just a question of how much time I have. (Usually under an hour, but it depends greatly on how much is already in track changes, as well as if there are any graphics in track changes, which speeds up the crash.)

I moved to Libre Office when I moved to Apple Silicon. Both the word processor and spreadsheet work really well for me, have been able to read every format of document I've run into, and are generally very close in approach to the Microsoft stuff, much more so than Apple's versions.

I moved to Libre Office when I moved to Apple Silicon. Both the word processor and spreadsheet work really well for me, have been able to read every format of document I've run into, and are generally very close in approach to the Microsoft stuff, much more so than Apple's versions.
Yes, Apple’s Pages works fine too—so far it reads and writes docx files without issue—which is what I’m using on my new machine along with Scrivener. I’ll check out Libre Office as well if I run into problems.

Used Intel Mac prices seem tempting, but within a year or two, most of them will not be able to upgrade to the latest OS without a patcher. They are also locked into Windows 10 unless you follow specific installation instructions pieced together by other people to use Windows 11. It's one thing to keep a current machine running. But, buying a used Intel Mac includes the cost of piecing together ways to keep it running in the very near future.

Yes, Apple’s Pages works fine too—so far it reads and writes docx files without issue—which is what I’m using on my new machine along with Scrivener. I’ll check out Libre Office as well if I run into problems.
I tried Pages, but it was so different from Word that I was unable to use nearly as effectively. Libre was pretty much a snap to get working well for me.

Let me add: if you want all your .doc, .docx files to open in Libre (or another program that reads these formats), select a file in Finder, Get Info, use the Open With field to select your desired program, and Change All. You have to do this once for each file type.

Last edited:
Top Bottom