What's new

I9-12900k build advice

So you do not need the CPU front fan.
If it were not nice and quiet, I would add a 120m CPU front fan.
Amazon product ASIN B08Y8MVJGS

Make sure to update the BIOS and install the chipset driver.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have some Noctura 120mm fans lying around. I could certainly add that. My 10700k has same issue because I bought ram with LEDs. I like my machines to run cool but not loud. Those fans are really quiet.

Yup, the issue with NVME did go away after I installed all the MB drivers last night. So, your suggestion was spot on. I also flashed the BIOS to the latest version.

I decided to build with Win11 OS. I wasnt going to, because I was less than impressed the first few times I tried to run it in my studio. Some of my VSTs still are not Win11 ready (PositiveGrid Bias), but I think by now they should be. So I will just not run them until they are. I still dont care for the TPM feature, but I will assimilate.

I must say, I am loving this rig already. Everything just works. Maybe it's because I actually went and looked at the MB supported memory options before buying the ram?

CPU clocked at 4900 on first boot using Auto. I did nothing to the BIOS and it is silky smooth. I am excited to see how it will perform once I get my 3+ TB of VSTs reloaded and fire up a project.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have some Noctura 120mm fans lying around. I could certainly add that. My 10700k has same issue because I bought ram with LEDs. I like my machines to run cool but not loud. Those fans are really quiet.
you are welcome.

Yup, the issue with NVME did go away after I installed all the MB drivers last night. So, your suggestion was spot on. I also flashed the BIOS to the latest version.

I decided to build with Win11 OS. I wasnt going to, because I was less than impressed the first few times I tried to run it in my studio. Some of my VSTs still are not Win11 ready (PositiveGrid Bias), but I think by now they should be. So I will just not run them until they are. I still dont care for the TPM feature, but I will assimilate.

I must say, I am loving this rig already. Everything just works. Maybe it's because I actually went and looked at the MB supported memory options before buying the ram?
For Windows 11 I recommend to:

Disable VBS

Disable Hibernate

Disable Widgets

Some stuff you may like:

https://www.sordum.org/14479/windows-11-classic-context-menu-v1-1/
Windows 11 Tweaks, Fixes and Modifications [Overview]

Thanks for the tuning tips! I disable Virtualization in the BIOS, but I did it in GP as well. I have been disabling Windows Updates via GP for a few years now. I much prefer controlling when it happens, or if I install the update or not. They moved it in Win11 GP, but I think it still works. 1647961620100.png

There is lots of things to turn off for music. I tend to let Windows Defender so it's thing, but I add copious exclusions to anything and anywhere I have apps or plugs related to audio.

Appreciate you taking the time to share tips that help me and others who read the thread!

Top Bottom