What's new

How important is location in this day and age?

I have some close friends who are absolutely phenomenal, award-winning musicians... who now have successful careers in other fields. They're more than good enough to work full-time in music, they just didn't like many of the inevitable realities of a music career.

We all have to be honest with ourselves about ourselves, and about the environmental realities in which we exist. Creatively, professionally, for mundane existence, everything.

Me too. It's not that big. Once to drive out of the only 2 cities where media industry operates, its pretty much nothing there but farms. Thats why everyone moves to US to work..
Hmmm, not the Canada I live in. I’m in Calgary, 1.7 million people here and it has a thriving film industry. You’re probably referring to the cliche metropolis cities like Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto (I’m assuming you lived in one of those cities).

scoring just plain bad movies/tv/commercials
I can't understand why German-produced films should mean bad movies or TV trash. About 300 movies are produced in Germany each year, and a good part of them are high-quality movies that find their way in streaming TVs or what remains of film clubs worldwide.

And I was saying Germany just because it is a major film industry next to your home. Without going to Hollywood, there is still France as a major film industry, and there is Spain. And, obvious, Great Britain. I would also say Italy, but I admit to have a few issues (as an Italian) to really consider the high number of movies produced as "real films". In any case, it's a relevant industry next to your home.

Not even all the American filmmakers work at Hollywood. My preferred American movies don't even come from there. And among my preferred American film composers, some, like Carter Burwell or Howard Shore, Philipp Glass or Dave Grusin, don't live in California.

Paolo

Last edited:
I can't understand why German-produced films should mean bad movies or TV trash. About 300 movies are produced in Germany each year, and a good part of them are high-quality movies that find their way in streaming TVs or what remains of film clubs worldwide.

And I was saying Germany just because it is a major film industry next to your home. Without going to Hollywood, there is still France as a major film industry, and there is Spain. And, obvious, Great Britain. I would also say Italy, but I admit to have a few issues (as an Italian) to really consider the high number of movies produced as "real films". In any case, it's a relevant industry next to your home.

Not even all the American filmmakers work at Hollywood. My preferred American movies don't even come from there. And among my preferred American film composers, like Carter Burwell or Howard Shore, Philipp Glass or Dave Grusin, don't even live in California.

Paolo
I didn’t say that, what i meant was even if you do somehow get a couple of good films they won’t be enough to support yourself financially, if you get them in the first place

The most obvious solution is to just get a day job and do music on the side. You can always quit your job if music takes off

No doubt. During the last five years, the film and television industry has been shut down—first by COVID and then by strikes. With more potential strikes looming on the horizon, and some streaming services failing to turn a profit, the work has been very slow to pick back up.

Best,

Geoff

Not even all the American filmmakers work at Hollywood. My preferred American movies don't even come from there. And among my preferred American film composers, like Carter Burwell or Howard Shore, Philipp Glass or Dave Grusin, don't even live in California.

Paolo
Ah man, nobody ever shouts out Dave Grusin! I just saw him live at Ronnie Scott’s in London fairly recently. He’s still got it.

Hmmm, not the Canada I live in. I’m in Calgary, 1.7 million people here and it has a thriving film industry. You’re probably referring to the cliche metropolis cities like Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto (I’m assuming you lived in one of those cities).
I am in Toronto. We have a little over 30k people employed in film. Most of this is film rig crews and craftsmen. I think Calgary is similar. Compare that to > 200k employed in NYC alone.

Ah man, nobody ever shouts out Dave Grusin! I just saw him live at Ronnie Scott’s in London fairly recently. He’s still got it.
I fixed another issue in my post, but doesn't "live" also mean "having home there"?

But what it those are bad?

In all seriousness, it's quite usual that people work with their landmates and then possibly expand to abroad later with connections and recommendations. Not really many people hop straight to American AAA productions from their bedrooms, no matter how good they are- and even then, it's just another route to take. Not the ultimate be-all-end-all end of the line where you can never get any better. In fact, it doesn't tell shit about your capabilities as many people have already mentioned.

Besides OP, the overall negativity and the downlooking of anything else than AAA is really harmful for your career. Don't underestimate small things that may lead to bigger ones and meanwhile pay your bills as well. In the end, it's all about creating meaningful music and getting your living out of it- not about your ego or credits.

Isn't Anze Rozman from Slovenia? My guess is he didn't go straight from high school to Bleeding Fingers. Surely movies are made in Slovenia?
Well not from high school, but from uni, yes. They did a final recording sesh as a part of the program he attended at berklee in Valencia and what do you know there was hans zimmer lol, its like a bad plot in a movie

Well not from high school, but from uni, yes. They did a final recording sesh as a part of the program he attended at berklee in Valencia and what do you know there was hans zimmer lol, its like a bad plot in a movie
well, half of life is luck and being prepared for being in the right place at the right time. so your goal is to prepare yourself as best you can, and see what happens.

Top Bottom