What's new

Hoopus vs bbcso black friday

darx

Hello! BF is coming around and I've been looking at all-in-one orchestral libraries for that are around 500USD or less. So far from what I've gathered, HOOPUS and BBCSO have been recommended at their sale prices. If you could pick one, which one, and why? If you have another recommendation, please mention those as well! Thanks!!!

Hi @darx,

Welcome to VI-C Forums, I noticed this is your first post. :) You are in the right place to ask these types of question.

Well, imho. It depends on the type of Orchestral music you want to produce.

For more Epic, Cinematic, Action, and even Romantic style I would choose HOOPUS.

For more of a Classical sound, I would choose BBCSO Pro.

Both are very good orchestral libraries, If you can afford both, go for it. But if you need to pick one of them, then as I mentioned, it will depend on the orchestral style/genre you will be producing.

I hope this helps you choose the right one.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Bbcso gives you flautandos, but overall you'll get more milage out of HO OPUS.
Much more versatile.
Yup. Plus the OPUS player is so much more capable, and better looking compared to the Spitfire Audio Player. The Purge feature in OPUS works wonders to save you RAM, and it loads the instruments lighting fast. Much faster than the Spitfire Player.

imho. EW-Opus, and VSL Synchron, are the top two Sample Players.

I would recommend BBC SO Core as long as they do a good sale on it. For the 40% off price, it will give you a much better value than HOOPUS. However, it has a more classical sound, so if you're trying to get an "epic" sound, it's not what you're looking for.

What I mean about price is that HOOPUS will likely be around $500 and BBC SO Core will likely be around $270 if you don't have Discover (and less if you do). That makes BBC close to half the price, assuming that their next sale is identical to their previous ones.

Hello! BF is coming around and I've been looking at all-in-one orchestral libraries for that are around 500USD or less. So far from what I've gathered, HOOPUS and BBCSO have been recommended at their sale prices. If you could pick one, which one, and why? If you have another recommendation, please mention those as well! Thanks!!!
Have you considered Nucleus? Currently on sale for $299.

I prefer the hall sound of BBCSO. It just sounds so real esp. with the bleed/spill mics engaged. I find it much easier to use. Although that can make it a tad less mailable than HOOPUS.

I’d also recommend you listen to all the demos you can for both. Lots of great ones both on each vendors’ website plus a ton are posted here.

This generalisation that BBCSO is for “classical” and HOOPUS is more suited to “Epic” is a bit too black and white IMO. I believe either can do both styles with the right programming chops, although there is kernel of truth that it is perhaps easier to get a big cinematic sound out of HO OPUS. (The terminology can be lacking here because The Planets suite falls within the classical domain but who in their right mind would argue that is not epic?).

This generalisation that BBCSO is for “classical” and HOOPUS is more suited to “Epic” is a bit too black and white IMO. I believe either can do both styles with the right programming chops, although there is kernel of truth that it is perhaps easier to get a big cinematic sound out of HO OPUS. (The terminology can be lacking here because The Planets suite falls within the classical domain but who in their right mind would argue that is not epic?).
I agree. Both of them are very capable at producing the various sub-genres of orchestral music. Be it Epic, Classical, Romantic, Cinematic, Modern, ...etc.

imho. HOOPUS is more flexible, and easier to mold to sound less classical, and more of the other sub-genres of Orch. Music. At the end of the day, none of them is restricted to be used for specific type of Orch. genre.

I'm currently producing a track with BBCSO Pro, and I can tell you that I would not have been able to make "Beyond The Storm" using BBCSO.
HOWEVER, the piece I am working on now could also not have been created as successfully with HO OPUS, I believe.
Both options push me in certain directions as I'm using them, partly based on what's good about them, and wanting to highlight those elements, but also with what's not so good about them, and wanting to avoid bringing too much attention to those.
I do find myself "writing for the library" more with BBCSO than I have to with HO. BBCSO can sound GREAT if you let it take the lead.
Going forward, BBCSO will be the sort of library that I might pull out every once in a while when I want something specific that I know it can handle really well (not dynamic crossfades...). HO OPUS is more of a package that I can be confident in using as my "default" orchestra, that will handle most things well. The sound might be a bit plastic-y at times, but it's more reliable.

Overall I prefer EWHO*, but I think they both have their strengths.

PRO
East West: Tons of articulations and dynamic layers, really flexible, good sound
BBSCO: Nice hall/tone out of the box, easy to use, lots of mics

CON
East West: Steep learning curve to really get the most out of it, pretty dry (only a con if you don't prefer that)
BBSCO: Limited articulation/dynamic layer selection (huge size is just all the mics), a disturbing number of unusably bad individual samples

* A few disclaimers: 1.) I only use the strings/brass from EW, 2.) I'm still using Play, not OPUS, as they still haven't implemented sample sharing among copies of the same instrument in OPUS.

Overall I prefer EWHO*, but I think they both have their strengths.

PRO
East West: Tons of articulations and dynamic layers, really flexible, good sound
BBSCO: Nice hall/tone out of the box, easy to use, lots of mics

CON
East West: Steep learning curve to really get the most out of it, pretty dry (only a con if you don't prefer that)
BBSCO: Limited articulation/dynamic layer selection (huge size is just all the mics), a disturbing number of unusably bad individual samples

* A few disclaimers: 1.) I only use the strings/brass from EW, 2.) I'm still using Play, not OPUS, as they still haven't implemented sample sharing among copies of the same instrument in OPUS.
Thought all EW stuff worked in Opus Player?

I'm still using Play, not OPUS, as they still haven't implemented sample sharing among copies of the same instrument in OPUS.

That's incorrect, Play and Opus both use the same samples

EDIT: I thought @ned3000 meant that Opus and Play didn't use the same samples on the harddrive/ssd, but I believe he meant sample sharing within RAM

Last edited:
Top Bottom