What's new

Hoopus vs bbcso black friday

Listen to this example of a mockup done with BBCSO:

When I first heard it, I thought it sounded really good (and it does). However upon closer listen, you can hear that many of the instruments "sound the same" when the music swells up and down. It's like if you hold a note and then increase volume for a while, then decrease volume again. There's hardly any change in timbre, only a change in volume = you lose a lot of the nuances which make orchestral music interesting to listen to.

Wish I heard that before I bought BBC Pro.........................

OPUS - more stuff, true "pro" library (even though it is older) capable of more movie / epic stuff. BBCSO is nice sounding in more classical passages. But it definitely does not offer as much stuff as Opus does for the price.

Reactions: EgM
Whichever you decide, make sure you get a nice speedy external SSD if you don't have space internally!
Don't know about BBCSO but HOOpus definitely demands it.
I had to buy a Samsung T7 just to house my composer cloud library. Well worth it!
Just got some internal SSD!

Sorry if I missed this, but when is the best time to upgrade to BBCSO Pro? Black Friday or Christmas or other (or all)?

Sorry if I missed this, but when is the best time to upgrade to BBCSO Pro? Black Friday or Christmas or other (or all)?
If I recall correctly, BBC is already 40% off right for Black Friday (somebody correct me if that's wrong). It's probably not going to be more than that during the Christmas sale, so you would be better off getting it now to score the freebie library, rather than waiting.

If I recall correctly, BBC is already 40% off right for Black Friday (somebody correct me if that's wrong). It's probably not going to be more than that during the Christmas sale, so you would be better off getting it now to score the freebie library, rather than waiting.
Oh yeah, good point, I could get the freebie. Woo hoo! These are sound reasons for spending my money!!

I don't think the Batman 1989 theme is where BBCSO's strengths lie but someone also did a mockup using HOOPUS:

This one is also very good but the English Horn is from Berlin Woodwinds:

I agree that this isn't where BBC is strongest, but I actually think that it puts up a great fight in this comparison. It's hard to compare the two directly here because they've clearly been mixed differently; it also seems like the HOOPUS mockup included some instruments from the Logic stock library.

To my ears, the BBC version sounds a lot more like a real symphony playing, and the HOOPUS mockup sounds much more like a cinematic soundtrack. You can definitely hear the extra dynamic layers in HOOPUS at the beginning of the track, which opens up much more smoothly. However, I prefer the tone of BBC much more here after the opening.

I agree that this isn't where BBC is strongest, but I actually think that it puts up a great fight in this comparison. It's hard to compare the two directly here because they've clearly been mixed differently; it also seems like the HOOPUS mockup included some instruments from the Logic stock library.

To my ears, the BBC version sounds a lot more like a real symphony playing, and the HOOPUS mockup sounds much more like a cinematic soundtrack. You can definitely hear the extra dynamic layers in HOOPUS at the beginning of the track, which opens up much more smoothly. However, I prefer the tone of BBC much more here after the opening.
Agree Hoopus is better suited for this but the BBC mockup handled this better then I expected.
Not that it was stellar, but better then what I could assume its capable of.
Though I do think its the creator's chops shine here and not the library.
Great job who ever you are!

Bbcso gives you flautandos, but overall you'll get more milage out of HO OPUS.
Much more versatile.
The OP could always just pick up Spitfire Originals Intimate Strings for $29 to get some flautandos if they go with HOOPUS. Sure, it's an ensemble patch, not individual sections, but it still sounds absolutely gorgeous. And at $29, it's an absolutely phenomenal value.

Agree Hoopus is better suited for this but the BBC mockup handled this better then I expected.
Not that it was stellar, but better then what I could assume its capable of.
Though I do think its the creator's chops shine here and not the library.
Great job who ever you are!
Would hoopus or bbcso be better for cinematic yet soft and emotional pieces? Thanks

Listen to this example of a mockup done with BBCSO:

When I first heard it, I thought it sounded really good (and it does). However upon closer listen, you can hear that many of the instruments "sound the same" when the music swells up and down. It's like if you hold a note and then increase volume for a while, then decrease volume again. There's hardly any change in timbre, only a change in volume = you lose a lot of the nuances which make orchestral music interesting to listen to.

I played it to my granparents....No one noticed the nuances

Excellent Based on the BBC Pro Reviews here, I have come to the conclusion that BBC Pro is for Pros. Purchased!!! Thanks Guys.

Top Bottom