What's new

Hollywood Diamond Strings - Melody Advice

hozierschurch

Can anyone offer any advice on achieving a mix of luscious long notes with enough bite to keep the shorter ones 'lagless'!

I've been using the main motif from E.T. as an exercise using this patch: 1st violin Sus 13 RR.

It has a great 'soaring sound' but sounds a bit laggy on the shorter notes - the falling sequence.

My idea so far has been to blend in the 1st violin Marc Sus 9 RR patch (which sort of achieves what I'm after) but, this is a big CPU hit for a single instrument plus both patches are automated differently so it would be a pain to continue in this vain ...

o_O

Hope this makes sense!

o_O

Hope this makes sense!

No, not really.

They've recorded all these articulations for a reason, it's an 'approximation' of techniques used by real players (now they of course don't have 1 'fixed' length of staccato, marcato, etc. This is just one area where samples fail).
If you want a line that has long legato lines as well as short notes you will have to load up more than one patch.
How you do that is up to you and your daw (separate tracks, expression maps, vepro, etc.)
I guess you could try to automate the release, but I guarantee you it will sound even more unnatural and it's way too much work.

Not hard to see why these playable libraries (adventure brass/strings and Jasper's stuff) are so great / popular;
Play long, get long.
Play short, get short.
No need for extra patches and keyswitching, allowing you to focus on what's important (performance baby!).

Now that I think of it, I believe someone here made a custom patch with the Hollywood strings that did something similar. But It still uses multiple patches.
Search for 'Playable' and 'Hollywood' and you should find it.

No, not really.

They've recorded all these articulations for a reason, it's an 'approximation' of techniques used by real players (now they of course don't have 1 'fixed' length of staccato, marcato, etc. This is just one area where samples fail).
If you want a line that has long legato lines as well as short notes you will have to load up more than one patch.
How you do that is up to you and your daw (separate tracks, expression maps, vepro, etc.)
I guess you could try to automate the release, but I guarantee you it will sound even more unnatural and it's way too much work.

Not hard to see why these playable libraries (adventure brass/strings and Jasper's stuff) are so great / popular;
Play long, get long.
Play short, get short.
No need for extra patches and keyswitching, allowing you to focus on what's important (performance baby!).

Now that I think of it, I believe someone here made a custom patch with the Hollywood strings that did something similar. But It still uses multiple patches.
Search for 'Playable' and 'Hollywood' and you should find it.

Hadn't even heard of those libraries but just checked them out. Pretty cool - watched Mike Verta's demos. Anyway, I've played around a bit more and I'm liking the Marc Legato Slur patch now. Still sounds a touch glitchy - I often think it's my Mac but then I hear the glitches in semi-pro / pro stuff too so perhaps it's the East West stuff - who knows! It's getting a bit more like this now https://vi-control.net/community/threads/hollywood-strings-diamond-legato-tricky-to-play.46727/ Anyway, thanks for the advice - and the huge dollop of reality :2thumbs:

By this, I mean Lawson Madlener's quick demo

Top Bottom