What's new

Hans Zimmer's DUNE

I watched Dune last night. I'm still getting to grips with what I think of it but just focusing on the sound elements, the soundtrack seemed to be unusually subservient to the sound design and I'm not sure what I think about that. I will have to listen to the soundtrack on Spotify to try to figure it out.

Visually, it was a movie that is under-described by calling it epic. The sense of scale was tremendous and I googled to see whose work it reminded me of, to discover that it was, er, Chris Foss, who, I now know, did the original artwork for the novels and worked on an abandoned version that I've never heard of. But covers of all the epic SF novels of the 70s and 80s that I do know seem to have been influenced by Foss, and they did a cracking job of creating a sense of the enormousness of space, that you don't really get in the same way from the Star Trek/Star Wars stuff.

Because almost everything about the movie was about size - not just space, but the huge deserts and seascapes, the gigantic buildings, the enormous ranks of uniformed soldiers - the sounds had to be huge as well. This was not a space movie like 2001, so you couldn't use silence and orchestral precision, and it wasn't a space opera like ST/SW so it couldn't sustain the lightness of a John Williams. The world of Dune is quite fascistic (look up the Colossus of Prora for an example of what I mean) so it required a sonic fist in the face, which is why it made sense to me that the line between sound design and sound track would be so blurry. The problem with that was that it felt like the movie was either at 1 or 11, so I didn't feel very emotionally engaged, and it's probably no coincidence that my mildly autistic son, who has not been able to sit through a whole TV show or movie for several years, did not stir from his seat - there were no challenging emotions that he needed to deal with (think what it's like to watch Fawlty Towers, and then imagine feeling that every time you watch something that creates anticipation).

But the other side of that coin is that the whole movie is to a great extent about free will. Things on a huge scale have the effect of diminishing the individual too. So can you do a movie about whether a character is really in control of their destiny, and show their apparent insignificance compared to the huge worlds they live in, without sacrificing some emotional investment? I suspect not. I do also wonder if the scale will become more intimate as the series goes on (since I remember bits of the plot from the first movie).

All of which is probably more for my benefit than anyone else's but what the hell, I'll post it anyway.
Appreciate the analysis. My opinions of the movie/sound track go against the prevailing winds here, but what you said helps frame things in a way that at least makes more sense to me.

Was this not a sure thing already? Seems surprising to take on something at this scale without planning for subsequent parts and/ or closing the story arc...

Well they should’ve filmed both of them at the same time like they did with LOTR but that unfortunately didn’t happen, and then Warner Bros decided to sabotage this movie by putting it out on HBO Max the same day as the theatrical release and then saying they would wait to see what the box office results were before they’d green light a sequel

Was this not a sure thing already? Seems surprising to take on something at this scale without planning for subsequent parts and/ or closing the story arc...
Everyone probably assumed it was a sure thing, but this is the first official confirmation.

Well they should’ve filmed both of them at the same time like they did with LOTR but that unfortunately didn’t happen, and then Warner Bros decided to sabotage this movie by putting it out on HBO Max the same day as the theatrical release and then saying they would wait to see what the box office results were before they’d green light a sequel
In the podcast I posted on a previous comment, Villeneuve said this was probably for the better as shooting in the desert was exhausting.

In the podcast I posted on a previous comment, Villeneuve said this was probably for the better as shooting in the desert was exhausting.

Fair enough, that’s understandable, still wish they would’ve so we won’t have to wait another 2-3 years

Fair enough, that’s understandable, still wish they would’ve so we won’t have to wait another 2-3 years
I don't trust WB for a second, but...

Added Toby Emmerich, chairman Warner Bros. Pictures Group: “Denis Villeneuve has crafted a film that is both visually extraordinary and emotionally transporting, as evidenced by its global success both critically and at the box office. We are thrilled to continue on this journey with Denis and his cast and crew, and our partners at Legendary, and can’t wait to bring the next chapter of this epic tale to theaters in October 2023.”
Source

I watched Dune last night. I'm still getting to grips with what I think of it but just focusing on the sound elements, the soundtrack seemed to be unusually subservient to the sound design and I'm not sure what I think about that. I will have to listen to the soundtrack on Spotify to try to figure it out.

Visually, it was a movie that is under-described by calling it epic. The sense of scale was tremendous and I googled to see whose work it reminded me of, to discover that it was, er, Chris Foss, who, I now know, did the original artwork for the novels and worked on an abandoned version that I've never heard of. But covers of all the epic SF novels of the 70s and 80s that I do know seem to have been influenced by Foss, and they did a cracking job of creating a sense of the enormousness of space, that you don't really get in the same way from the Star Trek/Star Wars stuff.

Because almost everything about the movie was about size - not just space, but the huge deserts and seascapes, the gigantic buildings, the enormous ranks of uniformed soldiers - the sounds had to be huge as well. This was not a space movie like 2001, so you couldn't use silence and orchestral precision, and it wasn't a space opera like ST/SW so it couldn't sustain the lightness of a John Williams. The world of Dune is quite fascistic (look up the Colossus of Prora for an example of what I mean) so it required a sonic fist in the face, which is why it made sense to me that the line between sound design and sound track would be so blurry. The problem with that was that it felt like the movie was either at 1 or 11, so I didn't feel very emotionally engaged, and it's probably no coincidence that my mildly autistic son, who has not been able to sit through a whole TV show or movie for several years, did not stir from his seat - there were no challenging emotions that he needed to deal with (think what it's like to watch Fawlty Towers, and then imagine feeling that every time you watch something that creates anticipation).

But the other side of that coin is that the whole movie is to a great extent about free will. Things on a huge scale have the effect of diminishing the individual too. So can you do a movie about whether a character is really in control of their destiny, and show their apparent insignificance compared to the huge worlds they live in, without sacrificing some emotional investment? I suspect not. I do also wonder if the scale will become more intimate as the series goes on (since I remember bits of the plot from the first movie).

All of which is probably more for my benefit than anyone else's but what the hell, I'll post it anyway.
I am in the group that thinks those characters in the film are very familiar and could have really used musical themes to give them more identity and depth on screen. I liked the film, but now i also feel, the David Lynch version may have been more distinct. In this version, at times I felt I was watching Dune set in a very familiar location such as the Middle East or North Africa (Morocco/Algeria).. in the Lynch version, Arakis does not have such a strong visual cultural link to our world (even though it was filmed in the Mexican desert).

Last edited:
I noticed during the movie credits that Hans worked with Klaus Schulze (who is also a huge Dune Fan) on a track called "Herbert" for the score. Does anyone know where to find this track? It's not on any of the soundtracks.... There is Klaus Schulze's old track "Frank Herbert" but that has nothing to do with the movie.

"Herbert" = Grains of Sand

I wonder if this is a collaboration or if Hans credited Klaus Schulze as an inspiration (Frank Herbert track) for this song. In anyway I think its a great thing that Hans is working with some the electronic pioneers.

I’m obsessed with the Sardaukar chant, wish it was longer on the soundtrack cause I could listen to that all day long, so sick
For me, it's 'Herald of the Change'. I hope it returns in part 2...

The way the score morphs into the on-screen action, it becomes something more. Well done to Hans and his team.
Was the score written to fit finished and edited 'video' or it was just added after as outside of sound design which is fantastic, composition and arrangement is quite generic and it would fit anything "BIG"?

Was the score written to fit finished and edited 'video' or it was just added after as outside of sound design which is fantastic, composition and arrangement is quite generic and it would fit anything "BIG"?
Try it. Take a random epic movie, like Independence Day, 2012, something like that, and see if you can make the music fit, including dialogue and sfx.

Try it. Take a random epic movie, like Independence Day, 2012, something like that, and see if you can make the music fit, including dialogue and sfx.
that was a genuine question not an attempt to be an ass and btw more reasonable in that case would be trying to fit some other generic 'epic music' to dune and see if it works as well, not dune ost to Independence Day as it's way too colorful and doesn't have modern sci-fi vibe to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom