What's new

Hans Zimmer's DUNE

In this case I’m taking Hans at his word very literally, I don’t think it’s samples, if it sounds like an orchestral instrument it’s probably Zebra, or a guitar, or something completely different
642018D4-E669-4672-AE5C-444D0EEA9C92.jpeg
Anything non zebra/synth is listed here in the end credits. I can see a few frequent collaborators like Lisa Gerrard and Tina Guo.

There is a lot more than Zebra going on in that score..including I think some of the big passages have string sections and other orchestral instruments recorded, its just mixed lower to bring out the synth tones more.

I actually really like the sound. Watched Dune again a second time last night. Plenty of theme happening in this movie too..just not the way some have wished for earlier in this thread.

I have definitely wanting to work more with combining legitimate orchestral sounds with modern contemporary timbres such as synth, electric guitars, etc..and finding a way that it won't sound cheesy...and this score does not sound cheesy at all...its a great and huge sound...with synth textures that just takes it to a new place. Love it more, the more I hear it.

Wish I could say I read the book but my generation doesn’t read books…
I don't think it's your generation. I'm Gen X and most of the people around me didn't have the habit of reading either (outside of school/college mandatory reading).

If anything, during the past 20 years more young people have been reading books than probably in any other time in history. Books like Harry Potter and all the other young adult series that have inspired countless film/tv franchises (Twilight, Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, Maze Runner, Shadow and Bone, Divergent, Narnia, etc).

Around 27:45 they talk about the soundtrack

It occurs upon second viewing that there is too a pronounced maqam-esque vibe throughout in the underlying scale choices, all of which really fit the context and atmosphere of the film, and particularly so where applied to the vocal performances and unison lines sang with other instruments. It's all breathtakingly beautiful in this regard.

I don't think it's your generation. I'm Gen X and most of the people around me didn't have the habit of reading either (outside of school/college mandatory reading).

If anything, during the past 20 years more young people have been reading books than probably in any other time in history. Books like Harry Potter and all the other young adult series that have inspired countless film/tv franchises (Twilight, Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, Maze Runner, Shadow and Bone, Divergent, Narnia, etc).

Maybe it’s just me then…

I wonder if the arp at 1:10 is Zebra, one of my favorite moments from the entire score

Well, since you liked the movie, how about giving this book a try? There's lots of context, sub-plots and protagonist's thought processes that simply can't be shown in a movie.
I'm a fan of the book and I agree, but I'm not sure I would recommend Dune to a person that doesn't already have the habit of reading fiction.

I think a great book to start building the reading muscle would be Ender's Game. Short, easy to read, and entertaining.

Using a synth called "Dune" for a film called "Dune" is so meta and I love it.

I have recently bought the book myself and I plan on reading it soon. Gotta finish the book I'm currently reading first (The Nolan Variations). I'm not a reader but I was obsessed with the world of Dune that I had to get the book.

642018D4-E669-4672-AE5C-444D0EEA9C92.jpeg
Anything non zebra/synth is listed here in the end credits. I can see a few frequent collaborators like Lisa Gerrard and Tina Guo.
Is this from the end credits? Does anyone happen to know if Lisa Gerrard was recorded in a studio in LA or did she send in the performance?

Top Bottom