What's new

[FIXED!] How do you play Opus woodwinds? (Volume controls?)

On the top, where you also find the option to open the Piano view, there ist a button to open a little window on the right side. You can find the parameters inside this window.

You can drag and drop expression from this window into macros.

On the top, where you also find the option to open the Piano view, there ist a button to open a little window on the right side. You can find the parameters inside this window.

You can drag and drop expression from this window into macros.
Woah thanks! I think that worked!

You might also want to consider a TEC breath controller as another option, too. I’m really glad I bought one. It’s a lot of fun to use, and it really does help breathe more life (no pun intended) into VI performance, especially with modeled woodwinds like SWAM.
Bought one last week!

I picked up an akai wind controller which I like in some respects but it only really sends modwheel (or expression) data. How are you liking the multiple controls available with the TEC?
Dude, it’s too much to worry about at first. But, I’m in my first days and expect to incorporate them eventually.

I picked up an akai wind controller which I like in some respects but it only really sends modwheel (or expression) data. How are you liking the multiple controls available with the TEC?
is it the usb akai controller? I use the cognitone ewi control module which lets you assign two cc for breath, two for bite, two for pitch up/down, all freely assignable plus a lot of other customizations. Also has a "pure cc mode" bypassing the notes if needed (what I use)

Dude, it’s too much to worry about at first. But, I’m in my first days and expect to incorporate them eventually.
With the akai (ETA: Roland not akai) there’s no way even to send velocity or a second cc controlled independently. All it sends is note and one cc modulated by breath. But most instruments I use need to control either cc1 and velocity or cc1 and vibrato, so I’m already experiencing that I’d like a controller that can do more. But the TEC seems complicated with the bite and such and so I’m interested in hearing about the mechanics from someone who uses it. So please report back as you use it more!

Last edited:
is it the usb akai controller? I use the cognitone ewi control module which lets you assign two cc for breath, two for bite, two for pitch up/down, all freely assignable plus a lot of other customizations. Also has a "pure cc mode" bypassing the notes if needed (what I use)
The problem is no one is making a good entry level wind controller any more. Google suggests that such devices used to be available but they’ve been discontinued, replaced by these things designed to play with your phone.

Sorry I bought not akai EWI but Roland, the Aerophone mini. In any case these days you are looking at $550 maybe even $800+ to get anything that has real capabilities. And that’s quite a lot to evaluate if the device is something that will be useful. Even $350 for the mini is a lot for what you get… It is limited in range (3 octaves) and the controller software has to be managed with a phone, and isn’t easy to change the settings. The instrument is rather slow to respond so you can’t easily play fast passages with it. It will output two CCs but they are the same information. No control over velocity. You can change the velocity outputted but it is a fixed value. Hard to remap the keys for playing different instruments, it seems you have to do it within the phone app. It’s even less designed for DAW work than I figured from looking at descriptions and talking with my sales rep at Sweetwater.

I mean it gets information to the Daw and from this I am able to assess that that this is indeed the sort of thing I will find useful. But now I’m back to wondering if something like the TEC is the better investment for me (which is why I was asking @Soundbed about his experience or if I should go with one of the more capable EWIs or Aerophones. And the sales copy for those instruments is as obscure about midi and DAW use as was that for the entry level controllers.

With the akai (ETA: Roland not akai) there’s no way even to send velocity or a second cc controlled independently. All it sends is note and one cc modulated by breath. But most instruments I use need to control either cc1 and velocity or cc1 and vibrato, so I’m already experiencing that I’d like a controller that can do more. But the TEC seems complicated with the bite and such and so I’m interested in hearing about the mechanics from someone who uses it. So please report back as you use it more!
I’m guessing I’ll get used to multitasking over time, with the tilt and nod. I’m still hesitant to bite (pressure). So I have turned that off for now.

I played French horn in hs so we didn’t move much (no nod or tilt). Any subtle change in position would disrupt that sensitive embouchure we had to maintain lol

Top Bottom