What's new

Favorite metal recommendations - Metalbros unite!!!

Those videos were very interesting. Not a fan of the guy’s growling, but the music and singing was on point. Almost like a less poppy version of Nightwish.

Oh man, yeah, was a huge metal head growing up. Like a lot of others, I don't really listen to much anymore, but I'll always have room for Meshuggah, Between The Buried And Me, and The Contortionist on just about any playlist.

The Metallica show with Michael Kamen's orchestrations is a classic. That's honestly one of the first things that sparked my interest in the orchestra. I remember one of my local radio stations growing up had "mandatory Metallica" every night at 10pm where they played three of their songs, and I'd stay up every night waiting for "No Leaf Clover," because it only appeared on that album and my mom wouldn't let me buy it because of the name, S&M :P Whenever it came on (rarely), I completely lost my mind.

And I fucking love Slipknot. Iowa and The Subliminal Verses are just *chef's kiss* so sludgy and grimey and angry, I love it. The production on the latter album is insane. I love that they tuned the drums to all be just about the exact same pitch. It gives drum fills this incessant quality.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the whole album wasn't recorded to a click track, which is somehow perfect -- they just let themselves get faster when the music needs to be. It's a nice counterpart to the ultra-tight djent and whatnot that's around right now -- which I absolutely love, it's just nice to hear something totally in the other direction.

Oh man, yeah, was a huge metal head growing up. Like a lot of others, I don't really listen to much anymore, but I'll always have room for Meshuggah, Between The Buried And Me, and The Contortionist on just about any playlist.

The Metallica show with Michael Kamen's orchestrations is a classic. That's honestly one of the first things that sparked my interest in the orchestra. I remember one of my local radio stations growing up had "mandatory Metallica" every night at 10pm where they played three of their songs, and I'd stay up every night waiting for "No Leaf Clover," because it only appeared on that album and my mom wouldn't let me buy it because of the name, S&M :P Whenever it came on (rarely), I completely lost my mind.

And I fucking love Slipknot. Iowa and The Subliminal Verses are just *chef's kiss* so sludgy and grimey and angry, I love it. The production on the latter album is insane. I love that they tuned the drums to all be just about the exact same pitch. It gives drum fills this incessant quality.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the whole album wasn't recorded to a click track, which is somehow perfect -- they just let themselves get faster when the music needs to be. It's a nice counterpart to the ultra-tight djent and whatnot that's around right now -- which I absolutely love, it's just nice to hear something totally in the other direction.

So basically what you’re saying is that metal is life haha

Lizzard, a melodic metal trio from France, just released an impressive album (produced and mixed by my German friend and colleague Peter Junge):

-> https://lizzard.fr/

Devin is too out there for me, gives me a headache. A lot of times it sounds like some weird practical joke.

Dude was also responsible for one of the best Metal songs of all time though - Strapping Young Lad's "Detox".
Funny , used to play with Dev, great guy amazing talent, great sense of humour,
Thats me doing the keys on bad devil , also did terria as well , Awsome time and some of the best talent out there.

Funny , used to play with Dev, great guy amazing talent, great sense of humour,
Thats me doing the keys on bad devil , also did terria as well , Awsome time and some of the best talent out there.
One of my biggest wishes would be to work so closely with Dev like you did. But I'm not worthy, my skills would not suffice.

I can imagine how great that time must have been. Deep Peace from Terria is one of my all-time-favourites.

You could not be more right, I think the same about Devin. Whenever I have time I follow one of the greatest musical genii of our time. If it is live, on YT or on Twitch (damn cool sessions there with insights you don't get often). His book is also tremendous.

He's so versatile, from Black Metal over Symphonic, almost Disney-like stuff to Country/Singer-Songwriter, Ambient what a bandwidth!

And always not taking himself too seriously. I never knew that I had a gap in my musical taste, but that guy filled a giant one. Nearly every mood can be covered by some of his songs.

It's funny that this thread surfaced right while I'm listening to a band I'd never heard of before but am immediately very impressed by. If you like late 80s - early 90s thrash, there's a lot to enjoy on Angelus Apatrida's eponymous new album. Their technical skills are top notch, the production is powerful and clear, and the songs have a lot of energy. They do not stray far from their influences, which is either a blessing or criticism... or maybe both. Go to that bygone era and take 60% Testament, 20% Slayer, 10% Pantera, and trace amounts of Megadeth, Motorhead and Maiden (Iron) and that's pretty much the sound. But everything is so well done that it is not diminished by derivation.

It's funny that this thread surfaced right while I'm listening to a band I'd never heard of before but am immediately very impressed by. If you like late 80s - early 90s thrash, there's a lot to enjoy on Angelus Apatrida's eponymous new album. Their technical skills are top notch, the production is powerful and clear, and the songs have a lot of energy. They do not stray far from their influences, which is either a blessing or criticism... or maybe both. Go to that bygone era and take 60% Testament, 20% Slayer, 10% Pantera, and trace amounts of Megadeth, Motorhead and Maiden (Iron) and that's pretty much the sound. But everything is so well done that it is not diminished by derivation.

Cult album already for me. Rare are the good thrash albums nowadays.

One of my biggest wishes would be to work so closely with Dev like you did. But I'm not worthy, my skills would not suffice.

I can imagine how great that time must have been. Deep Peace from Terria is one of my all-time-favourites.

You could not be more right, I think the same about Devin. Whenever I have time I follow one of the greatest musical genii of our time. If it is live, on YT or on Twitch (damn cool sessions there with insights you don't get often). His book is also tremendous.

He's so versatile, from Black Metal over Symphonic, almost Disney-like stuff to Country/Singer-Songwriter, Ambient what a bandwidth!

And always not taking himself too seriously. I never knew that I had a gap in my musical taste, but that guy filled a giant one. Nearly every mood can be covered by some of his songs.
I started working with Dev when he was young in strapping doing some editing i think it was the first strapping album,and then a bit later on .live work , i replaced a fellow named dave genn, i then started playing on infinity terria etc and all the live stuff , he was and still is very kind and a really down to earth person ,i havnt seen him in years but i have very good memories of our time,I remember taking golf clubs and some apples and pears and plums we had growing in my back yard and seeing how far we could hit them” fruit golf “ lol helped to relax us after studio time lol! Probably pissed my neighbours off but hey it was fun!

I'm at the point again where I want to listen to music, but everything that I try annoys me. Recently I was listening almost exclusively to Homeworld soundtracks, but I'm starting to get sick of those too. The album that eventually didn't make me want to turn it off again right away was this:

Nobody here listening to Architects?!?
They re-recorded some of their latest songs with an orchestra at Abby Road. Pure awesomeness:

Architects: New to me. Video 1, the orchestra is about 15dB louder than the vox. This is unsettling as vocals are too quiet to make out his lyrics. Video 2 waaaaaaaaaay better.

Metal vox done right:
(ya he scream-sings, but from what I hear he says he's broken) :)

Top Bottom