What's new

Embedding loops into samples?

I never got on well with Sound Forge, this looks great - (broken link removed) - shame it's only on Mac

Back in the old days, I think I was on Windows 95, Sound Forge was the only software I could actually create loops with. Finding the loop points was rather painstaking, but I always managed to make it happen.

Now days with Reaper, I can make loop points in a mater of minutes that are nearly perfect, if not perfect. Well let me clarify that a little bit, if the sample is decaying, then measures have to be taken to adjust the amplitude, but then that has to be done anyways. It don't work for all instruments, but most, solo instruments can present a problem.

I might add, what I'm doing can be done in any DAW and you might already be doing it. :)

Back in the old days, I think I was on Windows 95, Sound Forge was the only software I could actually create loops with. Finding the loop points was rather painstaking, but I always managed to make it happen.

Now days with Reaper, I can make loop points in a mater of minutes that are nearly perfect, if not perfect. Well let me clarify that a little bit, if the sample is decaying, then measures have to be taken to adjust the amplitude, but then that has to be done anyways. It don't work for all instruments, but most, solo instruments can present a problem.

I might add, what I'm doing can be done in any DAW and you might already be doing it. :)
Check out Endlesswav and loop auditioneer, might save you a lot of time

Thanks David, googling I got no where with Endlesswav, but loop auditioneer looks interesting, I'll check it out tomorrow.

https://www.bjoernbojahr.de - might want to run it through Google translate

I want to thank you again David, I finally got the "Endlesswav" to work. I had a hard time understanding the translation. I also downloaded the "loop auditioneer", but need to dig into that a little more.

I did a little test today, using my own way of doing it in Reaper. I managed to get perfect loops on 6 stereo samples in a little less that 10 minutes. That was just to get the loops set up. Maybe Endlesswav can do them faster, if and when I totally understand the process.

Since I've got regions setup for the loop points, I need to come up with a quick way of saving them. :)

I want to thank you again David, I finally got the "Endlesswav" to work. I had a hard time understanding the translation. I also downloaded the "loop auditioneer", but need to dig into that a little more.

I did a little test today, using my own way of doing it in Reaper. I managed to get perfect loops on 6 stereo samples in a little less that 10 minutes. That was just to get the loops set up. Maybe Endlesswav can do them faster, if and when I totally understand the process.

Since I've got regions setup for the loop points, I need to come up with a quick way of saving them. :)
In 10 minutes I could easily do 50-100 samples in EndlessWav - I only use Reaper to take the samples that I've applied loops to and copy them perfectly onto other mic positions. I also have a trick for batch applying a crossfade to the samples inside Kontakt which I can share if this is something that's useful to you... btw don't use the crossfade feature in EndlessWav, it doesn't add a Kontakt readable crossfade it just kind of dips the volume of the sample

I use soundforge, with an autohotkey script -- can do a whole set of 20-30 chromatic samples in a minute or so. Select nearly at random with a mouse click & drag; auto cross fade the loop; save; close. Kontakt 5 picks up the samples and recognizes the loops. Done.

I use soundforge, with an autohotkey script -- can do a whole set of 20-30 chromatic samples in a minute or so. Select nearly at random with a mouse click & drag; auto cross fade the loop; save; close. Kontakt 5 picks up the samples and recognizes the loops. Done.
Tell me more about this script... :D

In 10 minutes I could easily do 50-100 samples in EndlessWav - I only use Reaper to take the samples that I've applied loops to and copy them perfectly onto other mic positions. I also have a trick for batch applying a crossfade to the samples inside Kontakt which I can share if this is something that's useful to you... btw don't use the crossfade feature in EndlessWav, it doesn't add a Kontakt readable crossfade it just kind of dips the volume of the sample

Okay, I guess I've got to get more acquainted with EndlessWav. :) Tomorrow I'll try the google translator to see if it's any better.

And yes, I'd be interested in the crossfade trick, once I get the basics figured out. And thanks for the heads up on that.

I do have an other question David, what are the quality of the loops, are they flawless?

Yeah, I used Sound Forge for this many years ago, it was painstaking work. I think it was Sound Forge 6, but I was thankful because it was all I had that could do it.

I've still got it, but it's something I got free when I bought Movie Studio. I tried to make loops with it but maybe the free version can't do it.

Autohotkey is a simple thing: it can reduce a series of key presses or mouse moves to a single keystroke .. no magic involved. I usually map a sequence of things to one of the (windows) keypad keys. So: set loop range is done with the mouse, visually, then create loop, crossfade, save, next is the AHK script. Reduces to look at screen, swipe with mouse, tap #1 on keypad; look at screen, swipe, tap; look, swipe, tap; etc.

Edit -- all this, done within SoundForge, after opening a folder full of individual wav files with already tuned samples of the correct length...

Autohotkey is a simple thing: it can reduce a series of key presses or mouse moves to a single keystroke .. no magic involved. I usually map a sequence of things to one of the (windows) keypad keys. So: set loop range is done with the mouse, visually, then create loop, crossfade, save, next is the AHK script. Reduces to look at screen, swipe with mouse, tap #1 on keypad; look at screen, swipe, tap; look, swipe, tap; etc.

Edit -- all this, done within SoundForge, after opening a folder full of individual wav files with already tuned samples of the correct length...
Ah this sounds cool, I can probably use this with EndlessWav too

I do have another question David, what are the quality of the loops, are they flawless?

Okay, I got a chance to check out both EndlessWav and loop auditioneer. I think they are both impressive. Neither of them created flawless loop points, but with loop auditioneer, I could get the crossfades so they were fairly acceptable. I didn't try to make crossfades with EndlessWav because of what you said David.

So there must be a way to kind of automate the various steps? Doing it the way I was doing it, one sample at a time using Shift-Ctrl to place the loop, I think it would be difficult to do 50 in 10 minutes. Then you have to make crossfades, although your batch tool might make it quickly.

With loop auditioneer it was pretty easy, but by the time I would select which loop to use, and then crossfade it, it wouldn't be real quick.

The thing about the way I've been doing it in Reaper, the loop points are perfect and there's no need for any crossfades. I was messing around with it today and I created a couple of more macros to take more of the mundane steps out of it and speed things up quite a bit. I have no doubt that if I put a little thought and effort into it and put more macros together, I could probably do 50 flawless loops in 10 minutes, maybe less. :)

For the crossfades you need to have a pre 4.2 version of Kontakt - I use K3. And look up nki to xml. Once you have created the xml you can open it in Sublime Text and enter all the crossfades in one go using find/replace or multiple cursors. You can do a lot of other stuff in here too like renaming groups. Then you use nki to xml to turn the edited xml back into an NKI file which you then load into your main version of Kontakt and resave.

First off: Sorry for bumping this old thread, especially as this seems to be my first post (got a member ages ago and almost forgot...).
Anyway, what's the actual situation regarding embedded looppoints on OSX? I know I could purchase Wavelab, but that'd be overkill as I really only need a looppoint editor.
Endless Wav looks pretty much like the ticket, but installing a virtual machine just for that? Well, not really what floats my boat, I'd defenitely prefer some native OSX application. In case there's nothing slick and cost-effective, I will go the VM route, but maybe some of you fine folks have updated knowledge regarding the issue.

Cheers
Sascha

This video I made might be useful for you

Quite a nice explanation - and certainly extremely helpful. I might be able to entirely skip the Reaper part of it as I've got no plans to construct any bigger libraries atm, just some fun stuff for myself. But that LoopAuditioner sure looks like a nifty program.
However, the caveat being that I'm on OSX and there only seem to be Windows and Linux versions. Now, I may install a VM again, but uhm, after switching from OSX10.8 to High Sierra just recently, I hoped I was done with the VM business... But then, LoopAuditioner and the Björn Bojahr stuff might make me think about it again.

Thanks a lot!

- Sascha

Quite a nice explanation - and certainly extremely helpful. I might be able to entirely skip the Reaper part of it as I've got no plans to construct any bigger libraries atm, just some fun stuff for myself. But that LoopAuditioner sure looks like a nifty program.
However, the caveat being that I'm on OSX and there only seem to be Windows and Linux versions. Now, I may install a VM again, but uhm, after switching from OSX10.8 to High Sierra just recently, I hoped I was done with the VM business... But then, LoopAuditioner and the Björn Bojahr stuff might make me think about it again.
If you really want to use Loop Auditioneer then you could download the source code and compile it yourself (I had to do this for my OS).

Top Bottom