Embedding loops into samples?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT: Sampling, Programming & Scripting' started by Mike Greene, Jun 20, 2014.

1. olmerk

olmerk Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Has anyone watched this old video?

While I understand the general idea, I still don't get how the positions are calculated - not mentioning that the guy uses his own custom scripting not revealed in the tutorial either. Any ideas?

2. Tod

Tod Senior Member

Hi olmerk, That was a rather extreme case where I had a lot of violin, viola, and cello samples to loop. I created custom macros in Reaper to do all that. Positioning was simple do to the nature of the string sections being complex waves/waveforms.

I'm still using the same principles today although every sample looping project is different in one respect or another. I've got just a few custom macros the I can usually use with each project, but for the most part I usually end up creating new macros for each project.

3. olmerk

olmerk Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Tod, thank you for the response! For the present I can repeat manually, what is shown in the video, with my loops and the method works quite nice. Now I'd like to script this routine. Did you do it by the means of macros using available Reaper (built-in or third-party) scripts or you had to script it all by yourself from scratch using Lua/EEL/Python?

4. Tod

Tod Senior Member

Actually back at that time I probably didn't use any scripts, they were not available like they are now. My macros would have consisted mainly of Reapers built in actions along with the SWS actions.

Now days there is a plethora of scripts available along with several script writers. If a person needs something, all they have to do is pretty much just ask.

I haven't personally gotten into Reaper's script writing, I just don't have the time to learn another language. But I really don't have too, right now with the actions and scripts that are available, I feel like there's literally nothing I can't do.

When it comes to recording and editing samples I automate the process as much as possible, not just to save time, but to take the mundane out of it. Also there's way less room for error.

I got into Reaper the end of 2009 and I'm glad i did. There's just no other DAW that can do what I do what I need to do. :)