What's new

EIS Student Examples

Hi All,

Been thinking of posting something for a while and just finally got a bit of break to do so. The following are a series of mockups of music I've written since starting EIS. Pieces that I used for a project have a title, pieces composed primarily for assignments are labelled "Assignment". I also wanted to note that while some of the later examples are labelled Book 9, 11 etc., really the system builds on itself and all later lessons do draw on knowledge/experience gained from before, just as with any other form of learning.

If anyone perusing wants just a quick overview, the Dial M for Murder material and the track Open World (further down the playlist) are the most realized compositions as those were for real world projects.

It's been a pleasure learning EIS and I've gained so much from it, hopefully it shows.

@jsaras Thanks for your comment, here's another track I made early on which is more in the jazz vein. My background is classical and so I tend to lean in that direction, but EIS has helped my harmonic understanding and so I can pull out quasi-jazz stuff when I need to for a project. That's what's great about EIS is it really is a theory of music and not a style of music.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Been thinking of posting something for a while and just finally got a bit of break to do so. The following are a series of mockups of music I've written since starting EIS. Pieces that I used for a project have a title, pieces composed primarily for assignments are labelled "Assignment". I also wanted to note that while some of the later examples are labelled Book 9, 11 etc., really the system builds on itself and all later lessons do draw on knowledge/experience gained from before, just as with any other form of learning.

If anyone perusing wants just a quick overview, the Dial M for Murder material and the track Open World (further down the playlist) are the most realized compositions as those were for real world projects.

It's been a pleasure learning EIS and I've gained so much from it, hopefully it shows.

Nice work! Curious as to what strings you are using for the runs in:
EIS "Murder (Dial M for Murder)" -- Bk 11-1, 11-2, 11-3, Vertical Equal Intervals?

Just started EIS, it is such an interesting course!

Hi All,

It's interesting how differently each student applies the lessons to their own music. You heard them fitting into an orchestral/film music context while I found them to be a perfect fit for my jazz fusion tendencies.

Thanks for posting and some very nice writing. The mockups can be improved, though I know that is a totally different discipline. In rhythm tracks watch the reverb, it should not be the same as if you are doing orchestral. When doing orchestral sometimes it seems you could choose better arts so things don't keep ramping in on notes, also watch how notes finished. Obviously with mallets and pianos that is not as much of an issue. On faster runs you might consider layering arts. You have done a great job at learning the course and you write very well, a lot of graduates are wonderful writers but could be better mockup people. It also might not be that important.

I'm now a couple of lessons into Book 3, so in order to keep up with and review Book 2 concepts, I came up with a Mixed Progression a couple of weeks ago that I kinda like, so I mocked it up and stuck it on YouTube.

I'm now a couple of lessons into Book 3, so in order to keep up with and review Book 2 concepts, I came up with a Mixed Progression a couple of weeks ago that I kinda like, so I mocked it up and stuck it on YouTube.

Hi, Ashley. Very nice work!! You are a couple of lessons ahead of me. I am just at lesson 18 in book 2.

Very nice Ashley,

Just as a point it is easy to get nice sounding progressions in EIS but it is worth the time to make the mockup sound good.

First official piece based on my EIS study so far. I've almost finished book 2, so most of you know where I'm about right now.
It's an up tempo Bossa nova, with Tenor Sax and Flugelhorn soloists, accompanied by Rhythm Guitar (Acoustic), Bass Guitar, Drums and Percussion. The concept was written in finale, then exported to Cubase, making use of Virtual instruments.
Any feedback appreciated!

It is a very nice example, I presume based on page 100. I know when I realize a piece when creating it in something like Finale (Sibelius in my case) I take the time to print out the score and then replay all the instruments in if I think someone else may hear it. I'll finesse things and take the time to try and make it sound as good as I can within a reasonable time frame. If the purpose is just to make sure you are doing well with the exercise...well you are!

First official piece based on my EIS study so far. I've almost finished book 2, so most of you know where I'm about right now.
It's an up tempo Bossa nova, with Tenor Sax and Flugelhorn soloists, accompanied by Rhythm Guitar (Acoustic), Bass Guitar, Drums and Percussion. The concept was written in finale, then exported to Cubase, making use of Virtual instruments.
Any feedback appreciated!

It brings back fond memories of the little ditty I wrote 10 years ago for that assignment. At some point I'll have to revisit it and record it with real players and round-out the arrangement a bit: https://www.audiorecordingandservices.com/p100_latin.mp3

Top Bottom