What's new

EastWest Hollywood Orchestrator Action, Adventure, Horror Pack and Comedy

I am hoping that EW builds out the “Ensembles” and “Ostinatos” preset sections in future. While the “Scores” presets make for great “wow factor” demos, to me it feels like they take me beyond the point where I can make the composition my own. The Ensembles and Ostinatos are more helpful in that regard, IMHO.
Yes, I completely agree, I also don't feel like I can use them as presets. But they're so informative though. One thing that has struck me is how simple each individual instrument's line is, and yet the sum of the parts is this big epic track. I've learned that the key is to simplify, and I likely try to throw way to much in to get that big sound - less is more!

I'm dismayed to see this kind of thing promoted when EW Opus still falls so short of Play WRT memory management.

Play would share sample memory between multiple instances of the same instrument, which I imagine everyone has in their templates, as there are only single instruments for solo trumpet/horn/trombone/etc.

Opus completely duplicates that memory making it unusable for me.

I'm dismayed to see this kind of thing promoted when EW Opus still falls so short of Play WRT memory management.

Play would share sample memory between multiple instances of the same instrument, which I imagine everyone has in their templates, as there are only single instruments for solo trumpet/horn/trombone/etc.

Yeah, the memory sharing issue is a problem that needs to be fixed, but it's an issue that would require coding, whereas creating new Orchestrator presets requires an entirely different skillset. Therefore, there's no reason to assume that the creation of these new Orchestrator presets drew resources away from the sample memory issue. Though if they are working on it, it would be nice if they let everyone know.

Hello Ned3000

I've been massively bothered by this RAM use behaviour as well.
I find a project in OPUS takes about twice as much RAM as it did in PLAY, and I'm sure this is largely down to this lack of RAM sharing.
I've corresponded with Lorenz in EW support and communicated the issue as well as I can, and he's noted it and reported it back to the devs.
He, however, said that the workflow that OPUS is really designed for involves running templates purged. This was something I'd never tinkered with and when I purged everything and loaded in just that which my project uses, the OPUS reported RAM usage dropped from 35GB to under 5GB. I guess if the recommended workflow results in this kind of RAM saving, then I would understand why they might feel that the memory-sharing-between-common-sample-elements functionality was less of a priority.
But it still feels like such an obvious design efficiency!
Well, like I said it's been reported to the devs. We'll see if anything happens.

I just saw a walkthrough of the adventure pack, and was wondering about the different keyrange, compared to my version.

This is a screenshot of the YT-Video:

And this is a screenshot of the same patch from my Opus Version:

It´s the patch called "Other Worlds 01 (6-8)

Is this the same for you too?

I just saw a walkthrough of the adventure pack, and was wondering about the different keyrange, compared to my version.

This is a screenshot of the YT-Video:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-17 um 16.21.51.png

And this is a screenshot of the same patch from my Opus Version:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-17 um 16.22.39.png

It´s the patch called "Other Worlds 01 (6-8)

Is this the same for you too?
You probably have a different instrument selected..

I think, an Orchestrator Multipatch should not change it´s keyrange, no matter which instrument within you have selected.

I think, an Orchestrator Multipatch should not change it´s keyrange, no matter which instrument within you have selected.

I think whatever is selected on the channel list on the left (you can see the top one is selected in the first picture) is what shows up on the keyboard below..

I think whatever is selected on the channel list on the left (you can see the top one is selected in the first picture) is what shows up on the keyboard below..
I did that, but it hasn’t changed.

Just received an answer from Eastwest Support on this, and wanted to let you all know:

There is a bug in the gui of Ryan while his demonstration yt video of the new adventure pack, showing a very large keyrange.

Just received an answer from Eastwest Support on this, and wanted to let you all know:

There is a bug in the gui of Ryan while his demonstration yt video of the new adventure pack, showing a very large keyrange.
Thank you for getting to the bottom of this! I was wondering the exact same thing when I saw the video. I was trying to select different instruments, etc. but my key range always looked the same as yours. I thought maybe Ryan had some sort of beta release in the demo video or had tweaked some settings.

Also the balance of the channels (strings/brass etc) in the demo is different then what we got, he either edited the presets or he used prior beta version of them, that later got changed.
At least in one preset I actually preferred the balance he had in the video, was way more usable then the release presets... go figure:confused:

All in all I love that they keep adding to the orchestrator:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Also the balance of the channels (strings/brass etc) in the demo is different then what we got, he either edited the presets or he used prior beta version of them, that later got changed.
At least in one preset I actually proffered the balance he had in the video, was way more usable then the release presets... go figure:confused:

All in all I love that they keep adding to the orchestrator:thumbsup:
I noticed this too. The brass in his video was way more balanced.
Anyway, as you say, I enjoy they care about their orchestrator.
It can kickstart some ideas for your very own piece.

I think it's the same for the percussion in one or two of the presents. It sounds better mixed in the video.

I've been thinking for ages that surely they could release mix templates as well for it, beyond the moods..

Top Bottom