What's new

Dune (the synth) is pretty awesome.

Don't take my word for it, please try the demo. It's not like I'm getting a commission or anything it's just that DUNE has given me countless wonderful hours of joy over the years so if someone else finds they love it as much as I do then I feel like I've done a service.

:emoji_smile:
Just downloaded the demo, guess I have a couple days to give it a test spin and see how I like it... 😎

Agreed!

( ... I have been using DUNE 2 and DUNE 3 for many years! Love them still!! )

Last edited:
Dune 2/3 just didn't click with me and it wasn't for the lack of trying.
At some point back then though I got VPS Avenger and Bitwig and while years later I'm still in love with Bitwig and keep using Avenger here and there for a number of reasons (workflow, versatility, sound, ...) I lately rediscovered my love for Synthmaster 2, a synth I adopted almost 10 years ago.
The GUI, especially some of the skins are nothing to write home about but at the end of the day I just love the silky vibes of that thing, can't help it.

I own Synthmaster 2. It's a very feature rich synth but I prefer DUNE 3's core sound.

Bulent kept tacking on new features to SM2 and now SM3 but tends not to focus on stability which is why I almost never use SM2 these days. It's one of the most unstable plugins I own.

I also own Avenger and love it. It's more feature rich than DUNE 3 but again I prefer D3's core sound.

But that just goes to show how different opinions can be when it comes to sound.

As for workflow, DUNE 3 is one of the easiest and fastest synths I own to program. All you have to do is grasp how the Voice AMT, Solo, and Active/Edit buttons work and it becomes one of the most intuitive synths to patch.

Anyone know when this sale is ending tomorrow? Still haven't quite finished my demo of Dune and still on the fence.
Ask yourself this. Will you regret it if you miss out on the saving or do you have enough synths already that covers everything that this synth can do? If not, then you'll know the answer to this.

Yeah, I'm trying it. Liking it. A lot. Even to the point where I think it could replace Diva in my workflow, with all this Genetics stuff. I think the overall layout suits my way of tweaking a preset really well, where I find Diva quite cryptic. BUT. To @PebbleStream - I have bought something before because it was a good price (I believe this is a rare sale at a price this low.) But that said, unless it passes the test of sitting in a workflow longer than the initial wow (and I do accept there is a heck of a wow factor here) it's best not to rush. I feel like I would need to sell to buy and if that meant leaving a few dollars on the table - so be it. Rather that than spending $$$s on synths that won't get used. But it is :emoji_scream: good from my small test with it so far. For me now though, on the fence = no. You could promise it to yourself on Black Friday if you jive with it.

passes the test of sitting in a workflow
Certainly the sound is of the utmost importance? If a synth "sits in a workflow" but you don't like the sound what's the point?

Sound first, workflow next, and GUI last. Copy protection method and company reputation also factor in our purchase decisions.

Oh and this always upsets the natives but I like the VA sound of DUNE 3 so much that I traded my DIVA license away and have never missed it once.

I'll drop this little tutorial here. If we get our heads around the controls below, DUNE 3 becomes very easy to use and patch.

D3 080823-1.png

If we look at D3 as 8 synths layered in a rack it becomes clear. In the image above, in the AMT box we have 4 Active Voice Layers (out of 8 possible). Layers 1 and 2 are soloed and Layer 3 is the active voice that is being edited. If you want to edit all layers at once then click on the All button and any changes you make will be applied to all layers. Good for starting a patch when you want to set up several layers at once, then you can go in and edit each one individually. We can also copy/paste between layers, even layers of a second instance of D3.

One example would be to set up 4 VA layers and then go to the individual layers and select different filters, detune, etc. Or set up 4 WT layers and select different wavetables for each layer.

Of course we can mix VA,WT,FM, and Sample Oscs. One layer can be VA then next one WT and so on and we can mix different methods within a single layer. Osc 1 and 2 within a layer can be either VA,WT, or FM and Osc 3 can be VA or Single Sample.

One of the great things about D3 is that when we initialize a patch we're presented with a single VA Saw Osc through a fully open Low Pass filter. Perfect for those new to synthesis as it doesn't get any simpler than that.

Then you build your sound up from there. You could use a single layer for simple VA sounds or use all 8 for some very deep and complex mixed method sounds.

Even though I've owned D3 since day one I've never gotten bored with it and I'm always finding new sounds.

If you're looking for a synth with layers then you can't beat Parawaves Rapid imop. Dune 3 in terms of layers isn't intuitive or friendly. Its approach is like having the inconveniences of working with real hardware but with added functionality that software provides added on. That said, the Genetics feature, does away with much of the complexity of having to deal with programming layers individually.

I have my suspicions about there being a new version of Dune on the horizon, it was the 8th of December 2018 since the last paid upgrade and it wasn't cheap either. It was 79 dollars to upgrade from versions prior to 3.0. Essentially Synapse are, giving it away at around upgrade prices of old.
It's less than half the price in which to buy U-HE Hive 2.

Parawave Rapid does go on sale a few times a year, (not atm though) and has free updates of which one is due before the year is out I think. I'm fortunate to have all three of these synths with skins created for them and available, free on my site.

If you're making any sort of electronic music, you'll find that you will reach for Dune 3.5 every time, so for the current price, it's a no-brainer if you're into that. If a new version comes out, it's going to cost you the full price.

Dune 3 in terms of layers isn't intuitive or friendly
Once you get your head around a couple of simple concepts, DUNE 3 is incredibly intuitive and friendly and I say that as someone who has programmed hundreds and hundreds of patches for it and used multiple instances of it in every project.

It is lightening fast to program once you grasp those simple concepts. But if someone can't grasp those simple concepts then Rapid or Avenger is going to be way over their heads.

I also own Parawave Rapid and it is no more friendly or intuitive than DUNE 3. Hive 2 is a toy compared to either DUNE 3, Avenger or Rapid and I say that as an experienced user and owner of all three.

Oh and Parawave Rapid is always being called abandonware since it's developers lack interaction with their user base.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=588441&start=15

Last edited:
I assume you mean in the multilayering capability? For sure with the stuff added to Hive 2 inspired by modular synths, I definitely wouldn't consider it a toy.

Of the three: Dune, Avenger and Rapid on both my systems Rapid, then Dune are the lightest on cpu at the low sample buffer size I use. I am not much interested in sound design to I am a preset tweaker most of the time, and personally I am not quite a fan of Rapid's Factory bank. For me Dune's factory bank then Avenger.

I noted yesterday AudioDeluxe who I frequently buy from have the 50% off sale too, it too expires soon. They however don't have any Group coupon like JRR to get the price even lower.

rsp

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 6.32.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 6.32.48 AM.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 8
For sure with the stuff added to Hive 2 inspired by modular synths, I definitely wouldn't consider it a toy.
As I said "Hive 2 is a toy compared to DUNE 3, Avenger, or Rapid" and it is.

Compared to a simple synth like Repro then no, HIVE 2 is not a toy. It was one of my favorite synths but with it being crash level buggy in FL Studio I've stopped reaching for it and quite frankly don't miss it very much. Too many other great synths in my folder. I'll still use Hive in Bitwig if one of my patches fills a need.

Hive 2 is still a great synth....in a market saturated with great synths but its snail like pace of development is disconcerting.

Just checked and it looks like the DUNE 3 sale is still on at JRR Shop (at the time of this post).

Once you get your head around a couple of simple concepts, DUNE 3 is incredibly intuitive and friendly and I say that as someone who has programmed hundreds and hundreds of patches for it and used multiple instances of it in every project.

It is lightening fast to program once you grasp those simple concepts. But if someone can't grasp those simple concepts then Rapid or Avenger is going to be way over their heads.

I also own Parawave Rapid and it is no more friendly or intuitive than DUNE 3. Hive 2 is a toy compared to either DUNE 3, Avenger or Rapid and I say that as an experienced user and owner of all three.

Oh and Parawave Rapid is always being called abandonware since it's developers lack interaction with their user base.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=588441&start=15
I think this really depends a lot what kind of "perception-type" you are. I am definitely a visual guy so on first look Rapid with its obvious visual layer structure is easier to start with and "see" the basics.

Your tutorial above is very welcomed but it shows exactly the difference ;). I dont see any layers and have to imagine and get my head around the not "visible" structure. I dont think one way is better then the other, just depends on the individual perception.

I think this really depends a lot what kind of "perception-type" you are. I am definitely a visual guy so on first look Rapid with its obvious visual layer structure is easier to start with and "see" the basics.

Your tutorial above is very welcomed but it shows exactly the difference ;). I dont see any layers and have to imagine and get my head around the not "visible" structure. I dont think one way is better then the other, just depends on the individual perception.
This is the only thing that has me hesitant about getting Dune right now, the sound is frankly, amazing, it's capabilities impressive, and it seems like it might bring something not significantly so, but in it's own way, a little different to my palette of sound tools, but I'm just not quite comfortable with the UI-- that being said, there are other synths whose UI's I wasn't quite comfortable with at first that I got and have been learning and become more comfortable with and not at all regretted, so I'm not sure if this would just be another case of that.

To me the Layers are very obvious. Like I said once you grasp the basics it's very intuitive. The only difference is in Rapid they are tabbed and say "Layer" and in DUNE 3 they are buttons with numbers.

Everything we need to know is in the section I posted earlier:

D3 080823-1.png

It tells us all we need to know at a single glance. How many layers are active in the AMT box, which one(s) are soloed and which one (or All) we're currently editing.

Clicking on 1-8 on the Active/Edit line will show us if that layer is set to an Arp (and which one) and whether it's routed through FX rack 1 or FX rack 2 (or both or neither) and the Glide setting. That section allows us to copy/paste between layers very quickly.

When it comes down to it we're talking a couple of mouse clicks and a few seconds either way. Some things are a little faster in Rapid and some things are a little faster in DUNE 3.

Once mastered after minimum time and effort both are very easy to navigate and patch.

Rapid is more feature rich than DUNE 3 but I prefer D3's core sound and that's why it gets used more than any other synth I own.

Rapid, DUNE 3, Avenger, are all great synths and all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Top Bottom