What's new

Cubase DAW midi recording discomfort

Wassim Samad

Lifelong learner
Hi,
I'm composing using Cubase (10.5) and use it for 3 years now, however I never felt very at ease using it especially while recording midi data.
For example I have string tracks and I will start to record the violin. I have two options :
- Record from the tracks list but I can't define the expression map to choose my articulation so I won't go this way
- Create a clip in my track, open it and record inside

When I record in a clip I feel it very painful I have to :
- Define manually the midi CC I will write on (if some are changed I need to guess which ones)
- Then when I record be sure the midi CC I'm recording is cleared before recording it again if not it insert it between the previous line which gives horrible result
- Set the articulations in expression map (well this is pretty good, even if it takes a lot of space with some libraries)
- Click on the red button to say I will record in this track and click inside the track. If I don't it will record in the track directly, and if I undo it will close the clip..
- Have to check if outside of the clip there's not an overlapping clip before/after my clip if not it will be triggered too and will cause unexpected jumps in notes/midi cc curves

I really feel out of control over this process and it negatively affects my focus / creativity / pleasure to write songs.

Does anyone share this feeling? Do you have advices to overcome this?

Hi Wassim, you can record from the track list If you select the articulation you want by pressing the keyswitch you have defined in the Expression Map Setup.

Otherwise, this is pretty much what you described: you can create with a mouse click in the MIDI CC Controller lanes (lower part when opening a MIDI Event with the Note Editor, you may have to display this zone) an articulation node at the time position of your liking and then start to play/record your parts. Don’t forget to merge the overlapping MIDI events of the same track to have more control on the automations and articulations for better continuity.

Turning on Chase MIDI data in the Preferences can help.

Click on the red button to say I will record in this track and click inside the track. If I don't it will record in the track directly, and if I undo it will close the clip..
Cubase has different midi recording methods. Merge, replace, etc.

This and many other things you can learn in the :emoji_book: Cubase Manual

Also , you really better off setting up your midi cc lanes land saving a template - intact expression maps too .

If you don’t like working with expression maps , you could have another midi track go to the same channel , but be it’s on track , and record key switch data in there .

if you are using expression maps , remember to add a midi lane called articulations so it’s easier to change .

I would set it up how you like it , even just a couple of tracks , groups , sends etc and save as a default template .

then load that every time .

Another great thing about cubase is you can export all your tracks for strings or synths , disable them and at any time import them from the menu .

or , save as track presets in Cubase - loads of shortcuts , but depends on what you are trying to achieve overall and what sort of music you write.

I have a template with everything set up , but empty apart from composing tools - temp track , video etc and group tracks, Efx and stems so I can easily route.

Then I can either import tracks disabled for full sections - or enabled if you have good specs - or just load track presets by right clicking

Thank you for your answers, it helps a lot to.

Last point I don't know how I can get rid of overlapping midi CC while recording. I tried different settings in midi > CC automation setup or transport > midi record mode without success.

1611260255650.png

At the moment I always delete the portion of CC messages I want to re-record but I guess there should be another solution to delete the portion between the first and last midi CC messages recorded?

Check out the Automation Panel

automation_panel_cubase_pro.png

Above are the different automation writing modes (Cubase Pro). You can access this by pressing F6

More info: again in the manual

I think you will want to use auto-latch for dealing with your issue

Just one more thing, about that Midi recording discomfort:

tenor.gif

Last edited:
There is an option to overwrite the MIDI data, MIDI automation or both when recording. Maybe you should check your MIDI Controller Automation Setup Dialog, there may be a setting that is conflicting with what you want to achieve, like the Global Automation Merge Mode.

Check out the Automation Panel

automation_panel_cubase_pro.png

Above are the different automation writing modes (Cubase Pro). You can access this by pressing F6

More info: again in the manual

I think you will want to use auto-latch for dealing with your issue

Just one more thing, about that Midi recording discomfort:

tenor.gif
Thank you, I will definitely look deeper into the manual. I'm sure there are lots of functionalities I would love and would help me in my comfort quest (in addition to Sheldon haha)

And you can set up a key command for "record in key editor" to be sure you work in the open clip. Everything behaves a little bit different if you work in the key editor than in the project window which is great if you are aware of it and can be confusing if not. E.g. the time warp behaves different in the editor.
You can also solo the key editor what you probably know and cmd-click on several clips of different instruments in the project window so the key editor shows the midi events of those and also can solo them. Then you can work on all the events at once or just the active one. I have a key command for changing this as I need it and switch all the time. Also you can choose if you click on a midi event if you want to select the cc controllers as well or just the event without the controllers.
Sorry if you know this already but for me it took sometime to figure out all those possibilities and it can become pretty powerful I find.

Hi ...

This is my first post here. I have set up Cubase 12 Pro Quick Controls to write automation for 'real time control' of several EMU sound modules. I am a bit befuddled by the 'automation merge modes.' I believe 'part' refers to what has been written into the MIDI event/ track. Correct?

When I look at the merge mode definitions in the online manual it appears that automation can only modify what has been recorded originally, not replace it. Correct?

Finally, what I'm also not understanding is why none of the modes seem to over write a prior automation pass. After I've written a pass and go back to modify it none of the 'Replace' choices completely over rides prior writes. I can of course erase the data, but I can't understand why what is in the track lanes occasionally persists and for that moment the red track color noting recording reverts to white indicating no recording.

Is there some glitch in my controller setup, Command|8 ... which I doubt as it works flawlessly in Pro Tools, or is some setting in Cubase preventing the complete over write ... or is this just some normal behavior I don't understand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi ...

This is my first post here. I have set up Cubase 12 Pro Quick Controls to write automation for 'real time control' of several EMU sound modules. I am a bit befuddled by the 'automation merge modes.' I believe 'part' refers to what has been written into the MIDI event/ track. Correct?

When I look at the merge mode definitions in the online manual it appears that automation can only modify what has been recorded originally, not replace it. Correct?

Finally, what I'm also not understanding is why none of the modes seem to over write a prior automation pass. After I've written a pass and go back to modify it none of the 'Replace' choices completely over rides prior writes. I can of course erase the data, but I can't understand why what is in the track lanes occasionally persists and for that moment the red track color noting recording reverts to white indicating no recording.

Is there some glitch in my controller setup, Command|8 ... which I doubt as it works flawlessly in Pro Tools, or is some setting in Cubase preventing the complete over write ... or is this just some normal behavior I don't understand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
There are 2 types of MIDI automation. Track automation and Part Automation. Each have their own pluses and minuses. Personally I prefer Part automation as it’s much more flexible in terms of editing. Anyway, those MIDI record modes only work on MIDI Parts. They won’t do the same thing for MIDI track automation as that’s handled differently.

There are 2 types of MIDI automation. Track automation and Part Automation. Each have their own pluses and minuses. Personally I prefer Part automation as it’s much more flexible in terms of editing. Anyway, those MIDI record modes only work on MIDI Parts. They won’t do the same thing for MIDI track automation as that’s handled differently.
Thanks! Just to clarify, again parts refers to actual MIDI recorded on a track as can be edited in the MIDI editors, correct?

So then these CC automation lanes are displayed in the MIDI Key Editor when you select 'show/ hide automation.' Correct?

How do you then write automation to these CCs using a control surface? Will the track Quick Contols from the parent MIDI track do this? Do you have to be in actual 'record' button on the transport and the 'record' button displayed in the MIDI Editor?

I tried part automation first but couldn't seem to get anything actually recorded into the part while in the MIDI Key Editor.

Thanks! Just to clarify, again parts refers to actual MIDI recorded on a track as can be edited in the MIDI editors, correct?

So then these CC automation lanes are displayed in the MIDI Key Editor when you select 'show/ hide automation.' Correct?

How do you then write automation to these CCs using a control surface? Will the track Quick Contols from the parent MIDI track do this? Do you have to be in actual 'record' button on the transport and the 'record' button displayed in the MIDI Editor?

I tried part automation first but couldn't seem to get anything actually recorded into the part while in the MIDI Key Editor.
Hey! Thanks, I'm sorted out on this via a Greg Ondo Cubase 9.5 video on subject.

Here you go. The CC track automation works well ... but I still haven't managed to merge record MIDI CC into an existing part in the Keys Editor. The documentation says you can merge record MIDI by making sure the record button in the Keys Editor is activated and then hit the transport record. When I do it I see the track in the top of the main window turn red, meaning it is actually recording ... but when I check in the editor to 'show automation' there is nothing to see and my parameter manipulations certainly aren't playing back. I've got a post in on the Steinberg forum as to whether CC automation can be recorded in this fashion: i.e., am I making a routing mistake or is this not possible.

I would really like to be able to bake the automation into the MIDI part, where it is then easier to edit. The track automation is easy, but if you have several lanes to edit it is a pain.

Track CC Automtion in Cubase since 9.5

Here you go. The CC track automation works well ... but I still haven't managed to merge record MIDI CC into an existing part in the Keys Editor. The documentation says you can merge record MIDI by making sure the record button in the Keys Editor is activated and then hit the transport record. When I do it I see the track in the top of the main window turn red, meaning it is actually recording ... but when I check in the editor to 'show automation' there is nothing to see and my parameter manipulations certainly aren't playing back. I've got a post in on the Steinberg forum as to whether CC automation can be recorded in this fashion: i.e., am I making a routing mistake or is this not possible.

I would really like to be able to bake the automation into the MIDI part, where it is then easier to edit. The track automation is easy, but if you have several lanes to edit it is a pain.

Track CC Automtion in Cubase since 9.5
What CC are you trying to record? Volume, Expression, Modulation?

In the Project window, do you see the blue activity meter light up when you move your fader/knob?

It's possible CC data was recorded but perhaps that specific CC lane is not open in the Key Editor. You can open the Controller Lane Setup pop-up menu (bottom left), and select Show Used Controllers. Or alternatively you can check by going into the List Editor which will show you all the events in the MIDI Part.

If nothing is there then there may be a step that you have missed, or perhaps the fader/knob is not being received for some reason.

Top Bottom