What's new

Cubase DAW midi recording discomfort

thanks, I think the way for me is the midi cc in part.
that's weird about not getting any thing recorded in the editor, does it record the cc info if you record in the automation lanes?

What CC are you trying to record? Volume, Expression, Modulation?

In the Project window, do you see the blue activity meter light up when you move your fader/knob?

It's possible CC data was recorded but perhaps that specific CC lane is not open in the Key Editor. You can open the Controller Lane Setup pop-up menu (bottom left), and select Show Used Controllers. Or alternatively you can check by going into the List Editor which will show you all the events in the MIDI Part.

If nothing is there then there may be a step that you have missed, or perhaps the fader/knob is not being received for some reason.
Hi Zedcars ...

Just for a little background I'm on Cubase 12 Pro. May I assume you are/ have successfully merge rerecorded CCs into a MIDI part in the Keys Editor in Cubase?

With respect to which CCs I'm trying to record it is I think immaterial, they are simply the ones that the EMU sound modules assign to various real time patch modulations. Some are usual suspects such as resonance and some are unique to the synth structure.

Yes, the MIDI track blue activity light displays when I adjust the control surface.

I am familiar with the List Editor, but anything there would also display in the Key Editor and I do know how to check the Keys Editor to display any used CC automation. I've looked and it's not there.

But most importantly, the modulations that I make and hear while merge recording into the part in the Key Editor vanish upon playback.

I am wondering if it is a Quick Control issue, as that is what I've been using to link to the control surface. I'm going to get out another controller and see if when I directly map the CCs to the controller it makes any difference.

I am also thinking that since I'm having no trouble with track animation I could simply paste those automation curves into the part in the MIDI editor.

Thanks for your help.

thanks, I think the way for me is the midi cc in part.
that's weird about not getting any thing recorded in the editor, does it record the cc info if you record in the automation lanes?
Yes, no problem at all with 'first pass' track automation recording. But something funky does happen if I do a merge or replace pass. At some points it temporarily stops recording, retaining the original parameters, and then jumps back to recording again.

I can't figure this out. Of course I can erase the entire lane or edit it with tools, but that frustrates the use of the control surface.

@ Zedcars ... yes, I very well may be missing a step. Plan to continue to try and massage my setup.

Yes, no problem at all with 'first pass' track automation recording. But something funky does happen if I do a merge or replace pass. At some points it temporarily stops recording, retaining the original parameters, and then jumps back to recording again.

I can't figure this out. Of course I can erase the entire lane or edit it with tools, but that frustrates the use of the control surface.
I was kind of having the same thing but managed to mess around enough to resolve it. Are you deleting the automation tracks before trying to record cc in the editor?
my settings are : midi record mode- replace, Auto-latch, preferences -record-Midi-controller replace recording in editor

I was kind of having the same thing but managed to mess around enough to resolve it. Are you deleting the automation tracks before trying to record cc in the editor?
my settings are : midi record mode- replace, Auto-latch, preferences -record-Midi-controller replace recording in editor
Hmmm ... no I haven't. And I did notice that if I'd written automation tracks if I manually added the same CC number to an automation lane in the Key Editor I could see my track automation curve though the drop down menu at the bottom left of the Key Editor with the '+' and down arrow did not show any asterisk '*' for that CC.

I'll try again following your specific settings and see what happens.

Thanks!

I'm surely doing something wrong ... and wondering if I'm going to get a giant headache. So I think I need to put this on the shelf for the moment.

I followed your instructions and got same results. Since I'm using 12.0, I'm also wondering if there is a bug not yet identified.

Something else really weird. If I've recorded track automation and then deactivate read, when I move any of the Quick Control faders on my conrtrol surface ... including the unwritten faders ... I see my synth MIDI led flashing and stopping when I release the fader. Meaning MIDI is being transmitted. But if there is no pre-existing track automation moving the faders does not show any MIDI activity on the same leds.

Go figure!

Top Bottom