What's new

CSSS noisy?

I wrote into Cinematic Studio Series support about this today. I'm getting audible hiss on all CSSS instruments when using Main mic only.

Got a quick reply from Alex

The library isn't designed to use the main mics as the most prominent part of the sound. They are there to provide the ambience and stereo image, and the close mics can be used to dial in extra detail as required. I do hear your point though, and I'm intending on applying noise reduction to the main mics eventually and re-packaging / re-releasing the samples. This won't be happening for at least 6 months though, so I'll have to ask you to hang in there till then. :)

Will try playing with the Close and Room mics instead 👍

The library isn't designed to use the main mics as the most prominent part of the sound. They are there to provide the ambience and stereo image, and the close mics can be used to dial in extra detail as required. I do hear your point though, and I'm intending on applying noise reduction to the main mics eventually and re-packaging / re-releasing the samples. This won't be happening for at least 6 months though, so I'll have to ask you to hang in there till then. :)

Alex is such a top bloke, geeze. Love his reply

Damn. This, if well done, would boost CSS/S to yet another level

Thanks for the replies guys! Got RX Elements and the voice de-noise plugin works pretty well I must say!
Will have to spend some more time with it to see if I can remove the hiss completely though

True. I notice it especially with the lowest dynamic layers. The cues I’m writing are already very quite so when one of the CSSS instruments start playing there’s an instant buildup of noise.
Is this an easy thing to just throw on specific tracks as you go? Did you feel it was worth it to do it? I haven't used RX before so appreciate the info!

Is this an easy thing to just throw on specific tracks as you go? Did you feel it was worth it to do it? I haven't used RX before so appreciate the info!
I use the RX voice denoiser on a couple of 8dio solo strings libraries that have a fair bit of bow noise due to the close micing, and it definitely helps smooth them out, especially when they're more exposed. Yes, you can put the plugin on as you go and it's simple to use. You'll probably want to save a preset with the noise profile that works best for your needs so you can recall it quickly on other tracks. Running a real-time denoiser comes at a CPU cost, so you might not be able to run it on every track, depending on your system spec. Or you could leave the plugins disabled, and enable them before rendering.

I use the RX voice denoiser on a couple of 8dio solo strings libraries that have a fair bit of bow noise due to the close micing, and it definitely helps smooth them out, especially when they're more exposed. Yes, you can put the plugin on as you go and it's simple to use. You'll probably want to save a preset with the noise profile that works best for your needs so you can recall it quickly on other tracks. Running a real-time denoiser comes at a CPU cost, so you might not be able to run it on every track, depending on your system spec. Or you could leave the plugins disabled, and enable them before rendering.
Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom