What's new

"Critical News" from N.I. about El Capitan compatability

If I were the Sierra Club I would sue Apple for taking the great name of that Granite strucure named El Capitan and giving it such a terrible reputation.
But fear not little people.
Simply give the worlds most profitable corporation with 80 billion dollars in offshore tax shelters some more cash and they'll fix things for you.
Besides what are they going to do?
Go to the other slave owners to Windows 10.......:elephant:

I think what it shows more is that the Logic team is not that involved in beta testing new apple o.s. or how could they not catch these issues this late in to the public release today. That is quite worrisome.

Chim, were not here for Mac v PC, hardware v software please.

Is this actually a bit more epic than the usual wait-and-see compatibility checklist? Reading various sources today, there's a sense of scrambling by some developers, giving the impression of being surprised at crippled AU validation and hardware kernel panics, despite (or in spite of) the beta process.

Last edited:
Logic Pro X itself and all it plugins works fine under El Capitan. It is not their job to test 3rd party software.

What has me confused is that all these third party companies are acting like Apple somehow sprung this change on them—but they didn't.

There was a very low-level adjustment made to the OS that broke third-party plugin scanning—sucks, but it happens when you make architectural changes—but that was apparent as of the very first beta of El Cap, which was released to developers at the beginning of June!

1 developer? Probably their fault. 10 developers? Still maybe their fault. This many software and hardware developers? Common sense says it's mostly on Apple.

1 developer? Probably their fault. 10 developers? Still maybe their fault. This many software and hardware developers? Common sense says it's mostly on Apple.
It seems that way, but that would mean the poor devs knew about the problem and Apple just opted out of helping them until the GM hit.

That may well be what happened but it seems peculiar. Maybe just a matter of priorities on Apple's part.

For what it's worth, El Cap is a fantastic OS outside of these audio issues. It's the part of the cycle where they eschew flashy new features in favour of core refinements and performance improvements.

Hi Marius, how do you like Notes ? Think it's better than Evernote ?
Is LogicX-El Capitan moving quicker and slicker ?
Have you noticed any audio engine changes ?

There is supposed to be new (*edit or 2) Capitan Beta's already, but someone on another forum still reported issues with 3rd party stuff.

You and me both :P I just keep a beta testing partition on my machine for playing with stuff like this. Best of both worlds!

Last edited:
Hi Marius, how do you like Notes ? Think it's better than Evernote ?
Is LogicX-El Capitan moving quicker and slicker ?
Have you noticed any audio engine changes ?
I've done very little intensive testing of the audio side of things, so I don't have much to report on that front. Logic is behaving well, perhaps fewer graphical oddities than Yosemite but I didn't notice any major differences in performance in my limited play time.

What I have been testing extensively is the rest, including Notes. It's not better than Evernote in scope, but definitely in focus. Evernote does a lot more—document searching, handwriting recognition, tagging, notebook sharing, cross-platform compatibility, Presentation Mode, reminders, detailed metadata, etc. etc.—but if what you're after is actually just a notepad, then Notes is much better.

Notes competes with things like SimpleNote, Google Keep, Paper, and people who use the old Stickies app. The link previews are amazing, the iOS integration is fantastic (easy to "clip" links or files from your iOS devices and sketch things out with a stylus), and syncing no longer uses the stupid IMAP-based system of the old Notes. Now it's all built on CloudKit and is much quicker and more reliable.

I'm also a fan of the window management...it needs some refining, but it's good. When I'm writing an article I can have my text editor on the left, Safari on the right, and be in a focused, clutter-free work zone that's very conducive to productivity. Yes, you can do the same by arranging windows manually or with third-party tools but now it's built into the OS.

Spotlight is also much smarter, which I appreciate, although why they haven't built Siri into OS X yet I don't understand. The new Spotlight is 75% of the way there.

Lots of small details that I appreciate too: San Francisco is a much better interface font than Helvetica Neue was, pinned tabs in Safari (which is also way faster), and the fact that shaking your mouse makes the cursor grow bigger (to make it easier to find) just makes me smile.

Anyway, it's a good update. Refinement over flashy stuff.

I've been playing with it today on my laptop and I think my favourite addition is the split screen feature.

I opened up Logic X and ran it side by side with Safari and it worked great. My laptop screen is small though, so I'm looking forward to trying it out on my iMac when it's safe to do so. Very useful for the multi tasking moments!

Here is a screen shot

OS-X-el-capitan-Thumb.jpg

I've been playing with it today on my laptop and I think my favourite addition is the split screen feature.

I opened up Logic X and ran it side by side with Safari and it worked great. My laptop screen is small though, so I'm looking forward to trying it out on my iMac when it's safe to do so. Very useful for the multi tasking moments!

It's strange. Apple must have changed a lot - more than from Snow Leopard to Mavericks to Yosemite - as I recall they didn't break practially everything audio including AU validation, UAD drivers etc etc... I hope they did this for good reason (and that it will all be resolved soon).

Apple did change more than usual. There are security changes that limit which folders where software can install files, and they finally updated AU to version 3. AU2 is supposed to be compatible but seems like a potential source of problems.

yes the new audio units updates seems to be extensive since now you can have up to 256 channels instead of the forced 16 it used to be. There where other enhancements as well. so for audio , seems it will be a little while for everything to run smoothly.

I got scared because i own an old firewire interface (Mbox 2 Pro, connected FW400-FW800 + FW800 - Thunderbolt Adapter) that might not work with El Capitan. I'll update my girlfriend's iMac OS tonight and see if my interface works, then wait for Avid to release a firmware update (not sure they will). Honestly, i wasn't expecting to buy a new interface soon (although i'd love to own a UA Apollo Twin), wasn't part of my budget for this year :( .

RME says their FW interfaces worked with the pre-release build so I doubt Apple completely removed FW compatibility... :) I have an UFX myself so that certainly would s*ck.

Top Bottom