What's new

"Critical News" from N.I. about El Capitan compatability

EastWest Lurker

CRITICAL compatibility warning with the upcoming Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan upgrade

Before upgrading to the latest version of Mac OS X – version 10.11 El Capitan, please consider these potentially serious issues concerning your KOMPLETE, TRAKTOR, and MASCHINE products. Two major issues have been identified:

1. NI plug-ins do not pass the AUDIO UNITS validation in Mac OS X 10.11 – Logic Pro affected
In Mac OS X 10.11, Native Instruments AUDIO UNITS plug-ins will not pass the AU validation and will therefore not be available in Logic Pro. The root cause of this issue has been identified and a solution is currently being developed in close contact with Apple.

2. Incompatibility with some older NI hardware
There are compatibility issues between some older NI devices and Apple’s upcoming operating system. This issue triggers a 'kernel panic' – this serious problem will crash the connected computer immediately, resulting in loss of any unsaved work, or serious disruption of a performance.

The following hardware is affected:
  • TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 (MK1)
  • TRAKTOR KONTROL X1 (MK1)
  • TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 (MK1)
  • AUDIO 8 DJ
  • AUDIO 4 DJ
  • AUDIO 2 DJ
  • MASCHINE (MK1)
  • GUITAR RIG 3 (RIG KONTROL 3 hardware)
There are beta drivers already available that fix this issue. Updated drivers will be released as soon as they have been fully tested on OS X 10.11 – shortly after Apple releases OS X 10.11 to the public.

https://newsletter.native-instruments.com/go/11/1EQE68CI-1EOOPJS2-1EOOPJRU-18KGVFN.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Kernel+OS+10.11+c%3DKernel_OS_10.11+b%3DTraktor+t%3DSocialMedia (Download the beta drivers here)

To keep your system working normally with the affected products, we strongly recommend waiting before upgrading your computer to OS X 10.11 El Capitan until these issues have been fully solved by either Native Instruments or Apple.

https://newsletter.native-instruments.com/go/11/1EQE68CI-1EOOPJS2-1EPRQV2H-VEL1DVQ.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Kernel+OS+10.11+c%3DKernel_OS_10.11+b%3DTraktor+t%3DSocialMedia (Stay up to date on all future developments regarding Mac OS X 10.11 compatibility here)

Thank you for your attention,

The Native Instruments team

https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/important-information-regarding-os-x-1011-3359.html

"On September 30 Apple will release the new OS X version El Capitan. Our first tests show that different issues occur when running Steinberg products under OS X 10.11. We therefore cannot recommend our customers to update to El Capitan."

yep, got the same notice from Arturia and Finale.

As always, it would be wise to wait to update until all compatibility has been confirmed but it definitely seems that this might be a particularly tricky release.

Got this email from Nektar:

NEKTAR PANORAMA & OS X 10.11 COMPATIBILITY

Apple are releasing OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) on September 30.

We have found some issues during the process of testing Panorama with the latest beta version of OS X 10.11 that we currently are working on resolving.

Panorama of course will be compatible with OS X 10.11 but an update to Panorama software will most likely be required. We therefore recommend that you initially postpone updating to OS X 10.11 on any computer that you need to work with Panorama.

We expect to have completed all testing and needed revisions to our software, within the next 2 weeks.

Nektar Impact products have already been tested and verified to work with OS X 10.11

Why won't developers get their tired asses busy making an Operating System for audio.
Frankly I grow tired of lackuster upgrades and finger pointing to escape blame at the very people they anchored themselves to.

Not another dime from me to these bums.
Hardware lasts forever doesn't whine about 1s and 0s and doesn't charge us to fix problems they create.

They can bite me...

I usually jump in but it looks like this is a update to wait on, too many things that will break if not and for once I am actually busy on projects that I cannot afford to loose.

Last edited:
Why won't developers get their tired asses busy making an Operating System for audio.
Frankly I grow tired of lackuster upgrades and finger pointing to escape blame at the very people they anchored themselves to.

Not another dime from me to these bums.
Hardware lasts forever doesn't whine about 1s and 0s and doesn't charge us to fix problems they create.

They can bite me...

The Donald Trump of VI Control :)

Trump promised to buy EMagic and keep their promise from 19 years ago about using BeOS Bistro for a dedicated music OS with unlimited RAM for EXS...:crying:

I am a bit curious why there are three (maybe four) opinions being asserted here by individuals who have no stake in this OS update at all.

Compared to previous years, the developer announcements indicate a more specific - if not imminent - sense of identifying compatibility issues and respective releases, perhaps because of a more accessible beta period. Though it also sounds like a classic final build with changes introduced outside of the beta process. When both Steinberg and NI mention "first tests," I somehow doubt they mean they are just now getting the memo.

I am wondering if a sticky about the wisdom of waiting to update - (or not update at all) - might be useful for newcomers and new composers to consider. It seems to me it would be more productive to acknowledge what is inevitable, and the options we all have, rather rant on Apple-as-culprit (or developers as lagging) with each OS update. There is a lot of collective wisdom in this forum on that front, which could benefit less informed users of both platforms, I would think.

And, it's not like anyone here is actually going to change the culture of Apple concerning the plan to release an OS update every year.

I do agree about (and hope for) more audio-savvy considerations in such releases. I am also eager to see the implementation of AU 3, when it finally arrives. If the current new OS release does represent a stable leap some are reporting, this may ultimately prove to be a good thing.

G

Once again, my (Snow Leopard) Luddite status is confirmed as the sure bet, as I pump out work willy-nilly without a care in the world.

(Though I'm about to do a crazy thing and update to 10.85, which I'm sure will be some sort of horrorshow.)

Glad I reverted to hardware more.
For example my recent HX3 Hammond B3
has 3 excellent DSP Reverbs.
The very best full featured Rotary Cabinet emulation and this is due to its own Operating System
The DSP chip is 5 times slower than my CPU.
Its so nice when audio is the priority when designing software as opposed to this clusterphuck that has developers wasting valuable time and resources.

Creating a crisis requires the creators to provide a rescue for a small fee.
Then higher costs rolled into upgrades on a regular basis.

They really do care about you though.
They promise with every upgrade to bring further unnecessary fixes they themselves caused last time you paid them.

Id love to have a job where I could decide how much I was going to make during a certain cycle.

Larry, 10.10.5 - the current OS until tomorrow - is absolutely Luddite-proof (it doesn't even replace your loom).

The only exception is that Pro Tools 10 doesn't draw drop-down menus properly (you have to mouse over them to see them). Other than that I have zero compatibility issues, and if I can I stay current with the updates because of the internet security.

Nick, I appreciate the thought. If only we had exactly the same collection of dusty plug ins, used the same sequencer and audio interface, etc etc. Obviously, this stuff requires some research, but is there a driver for my MOTU Ultralite?
Will Cubase 6 and its attending native plug ins run? Will SampleTank 2.x or SampleTron (I actually use SampleTron much more often, but every once in a while...) work on 10.10.5? How about my older (and relatively stable) version of Play? Etc.

I'm a total dumbass on the subject, but I suspect the Internet security ship has sailed.

If its Play 3, Larry, no but any version of Play 4, including 4.2.2 which seems to have been proved to be perhaps the most stable Play 4 version, is fine.

40 pages of what is working and not working if you care to browse.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-el-capitan-working-not-working-apps.1890772/

Omnisphere...

We don’t have an official word on that yet, and are still testing as you might imagine.
Everything appears to be OK, but I would not recommend you upgrade to El Capitan yet.
Best Regards,
Les
Support Supervisor

From Universal Audio...

"El Capitan is not officially supported yet and I highly recommend not to update for the moment! Generally spoken (not just for UA gear) I would not recommend updating to a new OS just as it comes out - especially when you mainly use it for audio production. It's better to always wait until we (or the other manufactures) authorize the respective OS. Especially with El Capitan it seems to very tricky, other companies also report mostly bad experiences with this OS so far."

**I have also read where if your using a Apollo with Firewire, it will not work on El Capitan.

some more info from Jay from another thread...
My contact at Apple just emailed me and said that he is confident that Apple's Core Audio guys will resolve any bugs on their side "in an expedient manner" so let's be optimistic.

Is this actually a bit more epic than the usual wait-and-see compatibility checklist? Reading various sources today, there's a sense of scrambling by some developers, giving the impression of being surprised at crippled AU validation and hardware kernel panics, despite (or in spite of) the beta process.

Top Bottom