What's new

Composer Anne-Kathrin Dern discussing Strings Libraries

There is a wealth of valuable info in Anne-Kathrin's videos that you don't get anywhere else. Things like how to do MIDI cleanup or the difference between an agent and a manager. Most composers keep this info to themselves, but Anne shares it freely and without really asking for anything in return. These videos take a long time to make. She's got a ton of composing gigs, so it's not like she needs to spend the time. I've personally benefitted from her videos and it is directly helping me in my next stage as a composer.

I know most people here feel this way. And the couple people getting offended by whatever it is you're offended by, please get to work on your own 20 hours of YouTube content so we can judge it next.

I dont care for CSS really(I don't own CS2), and as far as I'm concerned there's absolutely nothing that could take me away from my berlin strings setup at this point... so certainly feels really odd to see someone else feel that she has strong opinions. Although to be fair I usually try to stick to the "if you don't have anything nice to say" rule when it comes to libraries, because people do not like it when you don't like something they spend hundreds on - even if you've paid for the right to not like something you spend hundreds on!

Ohh well, if they wanted her to pretend to like everything but only use xyz her channel's not for them I guess.
But that's what I'm watching videos for and reading this forum, to see how people view such and such libraries. Same things for Yelp in regards to restaurants. Different people have different valuations on what's important. And your criteria places Berlin strings higher than the criteria she uses. Her valuation doesn't invalidate yours nor is it an attack.

She also comes across as a "die Nutella" person when we all now it's "das" so...

Last edited:
There is a wealth of valuable info in Anne-Kathrin's videos that you don't get anywhere else. Things like how to do MIDI cleanup or the difference between an agent and a manager. Most composers keep this info to themselves, but Anne shares it freely and without really asking for anything in return. These videos take a long time to make. She's got a ton of composing gigs, so it's not like she needs to spend the time. I've personally benefitted from her videos and it is directly helping me in my next stage as a composer.

I know most people here feel this way. And the couple people getting offended by whatever it is you're offended by, please get to work on your own 20 hours of YouTube content so we can judge it next.
This :emoji_point_up_2: !

I'm not native speaking english (but I keep on learning every single day).
I couldn't say it better, so thanks David.

Last edited:
This thread is a perfect illustration that what you use is 20%, what you do with it is the 80%. Here's someone like Anne who doesn't enjoy mainstream Spitfire and doesn't even mention VSL (I think), and she's getting by just fine. Her videos remind me of the good old days of the Internet when people could say what they really thought, before sponsored opinion and digital marketing damage control became the norm.

Anne's YouTube channel is terrific!! I strongly recommend people check out her content!!

Actually I can’t think of a better example of humility than being an accomplished professional generously sharing hours and hours of honest advice without asking for anything in return.

I’m quite doubtful though, if asking said accomplished person to “behave” solely based on her speaking her honest opinion in a cheerful and non-offensive way can be considered humility.

There is actually still one thing I still don't understand.

People on this forum painstakingly comparing isolated legato transitions and expose every tiny little negative detail on new libs on a daily basis = not a problem

Famous top composers talk about their best way on how to work on this or that with lib x or plug y or that they could never imagine to use this or do it like that = not a problem

Suddenly a tutorial video of someone who made it to Hollywood sharing valuable information creates such a stir.

Suddenly a tutorial video of someone who made it to Hollywood sharing valuable information creates such a stir.
Some people are just envious and mean.
The good thing about that is that others will take a stand and make sure that their voice also is heard. As some of you have.

I wish I had half the talent and half the guts do what she does.
And after reading some of her replies here I think (and sincerely hope) she’s not giving up on us :)

@A.Dern You, may not realise it but you, are a role model for others in the best of ways.
Keep up the good work!

Best,
/Anders

Thanks for posting this! I posted a piece on the member forums a few days ago and @b_elliott
mentioned A-K Dern in response. I must admit I had no idea who they were referring to - until now! I've watched a couple of her videos so far and I think I'm gonna spend the rest of my day off watching several more! An amazingly generous and super-talented lady! Cheers :)

People on this forum painstakingly comparing isolated legato transitions and expose every tiny little negative detail on new libs on a daily basis = not a problem

Famous top composers talk about their best way on how to work on this or that with lib x or plug y or that they could never imagine to use this or do it like that = not a problem

Wouldn't be the first time ego caused an issue.

I'm only responding to it because I think it's funny how insecure some people are, and to keep bumping this thread, because I truly think her content might be more helpful to people getting into VI composing than more walkthroughs or reviewers who get excited about every new release.

I can't blame them, but sometimes I wish I was limited to just miroslav again!

I don't know about insecure, people become fanboys about these libraries and they just take criticisms of the libraries personally. Synthy? You need have your ears check and shut up.

You think this thread created 'such a stir'?
Boy have I got some threads to show you...

After listening to this video, if you aren't paying very close attention to what @A.Dern has to say about anything related to music, mock-ups, sample libraries, and orchestration, you are doing yourself a grave disservice.

Wow! That is beautiful.

And it just goes to show...many of us already have the tools to create these type of orchestrations, we just need to stop obsessing about having the latest and greatest. It's so easy for me to take my VI's for granted, and I also get got up in the hype. As @ProfoundSilence mentioned about going back to more simple times, I completely agree. We have waaaaay more than we really need, and we probably spend too much time farting around finding the perfect legato patches and mic positions....something we could have only dreamed about years ago, yet we (ok, us older dudes) seemed to create some really cool stuff when VI's were limited.

Last edited:
And it just goes to show...many of us already have the tools to create these type of orchestrations, we just need to stop obsessing about having the latest and greatest.
She has certainly made me go back and reevaluate some of my older libraries, including Cinematic Strings 2. I think too many times I get caught up in the hype from developers and forget about what I already have in the toolbox.

Wow! That is beautiful.

And it just goes to show...many of us already have the tools to create these type of orchestrations, we just need to stop obsessing about having the latest and greatest. It's so easy for me to take my VI's for granted, and I also get got up in the hype. As @ProfoundSilence mentioned about going back to more simple times, I completely agree. We have waaaaay more than we really need, and we probably spend too much time farting around finding the perfect legato patches and mic positions....something we could have only dreamed about years ago, yet we (ok, us older dudes) seemed to create some really cool stuff when VI's were limited.
Agree here. Where sample libraries are concerned, the basic level of realism that can be achieved hasn’t really been moved forward in a while.

What *has* changed is the ease of getting a good sound. As an example, BBCSO sounds great out of the box in a way I really don’t remember my copy of VSL spec edition sounding, at least not without a lot of futzing with levels, reverb etc.

As an example, BBCSO sounds great out of the box in a way I really don’t remember my copy of VSL spec edition sounding, at least not without a lot of futzing with levels, reverb etc.
Yes, but the difference is that you could futz with VSL to get it to sound the way you wanted it to sound, not the way Spitfire wants it to sound.

Top Bottom