What's new

Composer Anne-Kathrin Dern discussing Strings Libraries

After listening to this video, if you aren't paying very close attention to what @A.Dern has to say about anything related to music, mock-ups, sample libraries, and orchestration, you are doing yourself a grave disservice.

Wow for emotional impact.
What I'd give for a chance to be a fly on the wall to watch @A.Dern execute/produce this from start to finish... That would be up there as a learning experience.

Hi,

I found this Youtube video by Composer Anne-Kathrin Dern very helpful, and interesting. She is discussing Strings Sample Libraries in Part 4 of her series on Sample Libraries. Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Glad to see women are starting to do more, and getting a little more exposure in this field. :)

Couple of things she said which rub me the wrong way.

First, how she said that people should not be asking for portamento, and all of "these other things" (artics). Wrong - we should be asking. That's because too many string libraries are just the bread and butter samples. But we shouldn't ask?

Then she said, in reference to 8Dios Adagio, that nobody has time to load all these legato patches to see what works best. Huh???

Then she said that LASS's divisi just "doesn't work". Wrong.

Then she said that with Hollywood Strings, the sound doesn't hold up anymore. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and here's mine - she is completely wrong. Hollywood Strings still sounds as good as any library out there, and better than most.

Nice music in the video, however :)

Wow for emotional impact.
What I'd give for a chance to be a fly on the wall to watch @A.Dern execute/produce this from start to finish... That would be up there as a learning experience.
They are really good aren't they? A lot of excellent info but delivered in a very relatable manner. She could/should teach a course. Seriously. So many "experts" on YT, it's often hard to separate the real authorities from the posers. Well, it's not hard but I'd say there are far less really legit folks in any given discipline on there. AKD is definitely one of the good ones (and Thomas Goss, ie Orchestration On-line)

Top Bottom