What's new

Composer Anne-Kathrin Dern discussing Strings Libraries

I agree. air just sounds like a church and it feels like spitfire libraries have a lot of saturation from the preamps too.

To the point that adding some waves nls Neve and a 4 second church IR can fool plenty of people.

I did one eyeballed in minutes to show how effortless it is to make for instance berlin harp sound indistinguishable from the spitfire one.

Real talk though I'm in one of those phases where I kinda wanna learn a notation program again. Do you have a specific workflow to notate at reasonable speed?

I'm kinda 50/50 between that and just setting up reaper notation in a way that's fast since I'd probably just so piano sketches in notation software anyways.

Last edited:
@A.Dern Vielen tausend Dank für Deine Ausführungen über Divisi in Streicher-Klangbibliotheken!

I really appreciate that you took the time and jumped into the discussion and everything you wrote makes absolutely sense - especially that the main costumer base aren't professional composers but those who want to feel like one (last assupmtion is added by me).

It's very valuable to get an insight from professionals in this area and it puts a lot of things into perspective. I don't have anything to add so I will just stop here before blowing up my post. One should only write much if you have to say enough - and Anne-Kathrin definitely has!

@A.Dern I really appreciate your humble, honest posts (especially your last one). Inspiring, to say the least. Many of us (myself included) get caught up in the hype, and forget that the creative aspect is the most important.....and we have more than we actually need (we are spoiled for choice). I think I created more music back when all I had was an Ensoniq ASR and a Roland JV-2080! And now, I have many VI's I could only have fantasized about 20 years ago....only to want more. Hence, it's really cool to have a "wake up call" every now and then....which you have done.

@A.Dern Vielen tausend Dank für Deine Ausführungen über Divisi in Streicher-Klangbibliotheken!

I really appreciate that you took the time and jumped into the discussion and everything you wrote makes absolutely sense - especially that the main costumer base aren't professional composers but those who want to feel like one (last assupmtion is added by me).

It's very valuable to get an insight from professionals in this area and it puts a lot of things into perspective. I don't have anything to add so I will just stop here before blowing up my post. One should only write much if you have to say enough - and Anne-Kathrin definitely has!
Streicherklangbibliotheken. As far as German compound words go, that's pretty neat! :emoji_nerd:

I'm glad those messages are coming across. Music is queen, tools are secondary - at least to me.

A lot of YouTube composers or other loud voices in the spotlight create this false idea that all professionals jump on new libraries and plugins the day they are released. That's absolutely not the case. These guys are pretty much full-time reviewers with a Patreon account attached, and paid courses, and MIDI packs, and whatnot - this is one of their main income streams, they're trying to sell you stuff and get more views. However, if you're a full-time composer for film, TV, and games, and that's your main income, it would be a terrible business investment to just blindly buy everything when you already have several terrabytes of stuff that works. You'd also normally wait until you really need something, and then bill the production for it instead of investing your business savings into it. And if you already have 5 string libraries and couldn't make them work, chances are that new shiny thing isn't going to solve your problems either.
Aside from that, most professional composers will wait for the first update of anything (not just libraries) to come out before even making the jump. That way the rest of the user base can find all the bugs and mistakes first, and the developer has time to fix that in an update. Full-time composers can't deal with that on tight deadlines, it's too disruptive. On top of that, most professional studios have multiple rigs that need to sync and be identical at all times so installing a new tool is not something you can quickly do, especially not in the middle of a project (which is always at busy studios). A lot of studios will only do a proper overhaul once a year, usually over Christmas or during a summer break. You'd be surprised by the tools some people still work with - some of which were released 10 years ago. If something works, it simply works, no need to change it. A newer tool is not automatically a better tool. The sample graveyards on all of our hard drives prove that quite well.

As far as blending goes, that was kind of a tongue-in-cheek comment since it's so passionately discussed. Yet few professional composers have this on their minds all that much. You can get 90% to the finish line by doing proper volume balancing. The rest can come from turning off the patch reverb and sending everything to the same reverb in the DAW, using a global EQ to filter out any frequency buildups, and then tape saturation and some parallel compression to glue it together. That can all be set up in a template so once that's done, it's not ever an issue anymore until a new library is added (which as discussed doesn't happen every week). The outliers are Spitfire and VSL, maybe also EastWest, because they are either very wet or very dry. AIR is generally hard to blend. It doesn't play well with others, even when I record there live and then try to blend it with the mockup. One way I've managed to fix this is by shortening the releases to be similar to a "studio" release and less "church-y". That way it blends better with the studio recordings. But as you may have gathered from my videos, I prefer other libraries that were recorded at studios anyway. VSL isn't used all that much but you can do some reverb/delay/panning/EQ magic on that one to combat the dryness. But this is the reason why it's not used quite as much - it requires a lot of setup as opposed to other libraries. This is referring to the old dry VSL, I believe they also now have newer stuff recorded at Synchron which is obviously a pristine sounding studio.

All of these opinions really stem from multiple factors - having worked at a variety of studios, having worked in sampling for a while, having my own studio now and being a full-time composer... but above all, I've been incredibly poor here in LA. I've worked on blockbuster productions and network TV shows while barely getting by. I didn't have any shiny tools and was lacking very basic stuff, and certainly couldn't afford the latest of the latest - but I still worked on these productions and still delivered the desired quality. Just know your tools and you'll be fine. You can be a professional without all this nonsense, it's okay, don't sweat it. It'll come with the next bigger paycheck and until then you work with what you got.
Your thoughts on these matters are a breath of fresh air. Despite your lack of enthusiasm for "mainstream" Spitfire, I think you might consider taking a look at Spitfire's Studio Strings, as they were recorded in a smaller AIR studio and have more of the studio sound. I've found them quite good for blending with other libraries, and they have a number of articulations that other libraries don't.

Your thoughts on these matters are a breath of fresh air. Despite your lack of enthusiasm for "mainstream" Spitfire, I think you might consider taking a look at Spitfire's Studio Strings, as they were recorded in a smaller AIR studio and have more of the studio sound. I've found them quite good for blending with other libraries, and they have a number of articulations that other libraries don't.
I've heard good things about it but my point remains: Why buy it? What does it bring to the table that the other 10 string libraries I already own don't have? Is there anything I'm desperately missing in my current setup that this library would solve? And is that worth $500? Or are those better spent elsewhere in my day to day business fixing other more pressing issues? Those are important questions to ask before buying anything, unless doing reviews is one of your main income streams which would justify the purchase. I feel the same way about other libraries that I'm sure are great. Cinematic Studio Woodwinds comes to mind. I love the brand and I'm sure the library is great but I'm not wanting for anything in my current setup so the purchase doesn't make any sense for my company. I already own Berlin Woodwinds and CineWinds, along with Hollywoodwinds and some other stuff I already don't use because the first three cover all the ground I need on a regular basis. So why needlessly add something I don't need and that doesn't bring anything new to the table for me? If I were at the beginning of my career just starting to buy my first libraries, this would be a different story.

@robgb is still in VI-Control-Mode - love it!

Streicherklangbibliotheken. As far as German compound words go, that's pretty neat! :emoji_nerd:
So how about Streichinstrumentklangbibliotheken?

I have to agree with everyone else that it's very encouraging/uplifting to watch your videos. Here in VI-Control there are so many battles about blending, mixing, DAWs etc. and it is so refreshing watching a video by a pro composer commenting these things with:

"Do whatever works for you.", "It doesn't matter which DAW you are using.", "I don't have time to try out every new library."

I've heard good things about it but my point remains: Why buy it? What does it bring to the table that the other 10 string libraries I already own don't have? Is there anything I'm desperately missing in my current setup that this library would solve? And is that worth $500? Or are those better spent elsewhere in my day to day business fixing other more pressing issues? Those are important questions to ask before buying anything, unless doing reviews is one of your main income streams which would justify the purchase. I feel the same way about other libraries that I'm sure are great. Cinematic Studio Woodwinds comes to mind. I love the brand and I'm sure the library is great but I'm not wanting for anything in my current setup so the purchase doesn't make any sense for my company. I already own Berlin Woodwinds and CineWinds, along with Hollywoodwinds and some other stuff I already don't use because the first three cover all the ground I need on a regular basis. So why needlessly add something I don't need and that doesn't bring anything new to the table for me? If I were at the beginning of my career just starting to buy my first libraries, this would be a different story.
Point taken, but I think there's a nice rawness to it that makes it special. I, too, am at the saturation point when it comes to strings and have shied away from buying anything more—but I thought I'd mention Studio Strings because of their extended articulations. It's hard to find Super Sul Tasto in other libraries. Maybe you have it in Tundra, I don't know, as I don't own that library.

But hey, I'm using Sonivox woodwinds, so who am I to talk. I think they sound great, and after customizing them in my DAW to make them much more playable, I see no reason to look for other woodwind libraries. They get the job done.

What does it bring to the table that the other 10 string libraries I already own don't have? Is there anything I'm desperately missing in my current setup that this library would solve?
Exactly why I haven’t bought anything for quite a long time. Just got to a point of “really? More of the same”. And admittedly I’ve been a fiend in regards to buying sample libraries in the past few years 😂

Thanks for your input Anne. So, have you got a release date for you debut MIDI Pack release then? 😂

It's the same with me!

Years ago I dived in the VI-world by buying the VSL Super Package and this kept me busy for a long time. Then, in winter 2019 I became interested in virtual instruments again and then GAS was powerfull. I acquired a lot of stuff - and I was very happy while doing it and I am still very content about my collection. I love being able to pull up different sounds, comparing, fine-tuning etc. But now I reached the point where I think I am settled for a long time. I am very excited about Modern Scoring Strings and I think about completing my Berlin Series collection but then I will have everything covered with at least 3 different libraries.

Especially the latest releases of Berlin Symphonic Strings and Cinematic Studio Woodwinds showed that new isn't always better.

@A.Dern mind if I ask a question? In one of your videos, you talk about your computers and how you decided to migrate from Mac to PC. My Mac is getting to the point where an upgrade to a new machine is on the horizon. Were you reluctant to make the switch? Which platform do you actually prefer if money were no object? I’m on the fence, as I know I can have a very powerful PC built much cheaper than a new Mac with lesser specs. My newly built slave PC is incredibly powerful, which now has be considering the switch (I’m already well versed with Cubase as well). Thank you!

There's a tendency to think that a new library is going to make my music better. The sound may improve, but the music will mostly likely not.

Last edited:
Hey @A.Dern in a video (not sure which) you mentioned you also use virtual synths.

Do you have a video where you talk about this?

What are your favorite synths?

@A.Dern mind if I ask a question? In one of your videos, you talk about your computers and how you decided to migrate from Mac to PC. My Mac is getting to the point where an upgrade to a new machine is on the horizon. Were you reluctant to make the switch? Which platform do you actually prefer if money were no object? I’m on the fence, as I know I can have a very powerful PC built much cheaper than a new Mac with lesser specs. My newly built slave PC is incredibly powerful, which now has be considering the switch (I’m already well versed with Cubase as well). Thank you!
I wasn't really reluctant to switch. I grew up on PCs and then back in 2007 when I started studying, I switched fully to Mac (I believe the OS was Tiger at the time). Windows was kinda stuck in the Dark Ages at the time (anyone remember Vista?). The Mac OS was just lightyears ahead, faster, more userfriendly, the computers were more durable, needed less RAM to run complicated stuff... a lot of pros for machines that were only a little more expensive.

However, when I started to work for Cinesamples, they got me PC for sample streaming while my main machine was an iMac. So I kinda got back in touch with PCs in 2013 and I was quite impressed by the leap forward they had made. I've had at least one PC for sample streaming ever since so I already knew what those machines could do and what Windows 10 feels like - kind of like the situation you're describing. So the switch was actually fairly easy and honestly, now I prefer Windows and PCs. The pricing is much more reasonable, the customization and upgradability, the OS has caught up very well, it's secure now, no more headaches with constant OS upgrades, thanks to SSDs they are as fast as Macs now, they are just as durable, you have more affordable high end app options in the Microsoft store... hell, they even look better now than Apple's machines.

To me, Apple has lost its advantage with desktop computers. Everything I admired about them in 2007, PCs can now do as well. Some things they even do better. I still think Apple has the edge when it comes to devices with limited physical space in them, like laptops and iPhones - their RAM efficiency and protocols really comes into play there. But with desktop machines, you can stack up on SSDs, RAM, CPU and anything else without any space concerns so they kind of lose their edge there. The new Mac Pro doesn't have any capabilities that would justify an $11k purchase to me when I can have an equally great PC for $3-5k.

Hey @A.Dern in a video (not sure which) you mentioned you also use virtual synths.

Do you have a video where you talk about this?

What are your favorite synths?
I don't have a video about synths - it's honestly not my area of expertise. My go-to is Zebra by u-he though I wouldn't claim to know how to use it 100%. I'm still learning on that front. What helped me a lot are these videos (if you're a beginner that is):

If you're using Serum, this video has been recommended to me as well (still working my way through it):

I don't have a video about synths - it's honestly not my area of expertise. My go-to is Zebra by u-he though I wouldn't claim to know how to use it 100%. I'm still learning on that front. What helped me a lot are these videos (if you're a beginner that is):

Zebra is amazing.

Been using it for 10 years but thanks for the video anyway!

I wasn't really reluctant to switch. I grew up on PCs and then back in 2007 when I started studying, I switched fully to Mac (I believe the OS was Tiger at the time). Windows was kinda stuck in the Dark Ages at the time (anyone remember Vista?). The Mac OS was just lightyears ahead, faster, more userfriendly, the computers were more durable, needed less RAM to run complicated stuff... a lot of pros for machines that were only a little more expensive.

However, when I started to work for Cinesamples, they got me PC for sample streaming while my main machine was an iMac. So I kinda got back in touch with PCs in 2013 and I was quite impressed by the leap forward they had made. I've had at least one PC for sample streaming ever since so I already knew what those machines could do and what Windows 10 feels like - kind of like the situation you're describing. So the switch was actually fairly easy and honestly, now I prefer Windows and PCs. The pricing is much more reasonable, the customization and upgradability, the OS has caught up very well, it's secure now, no more headaches with constant OS upgrades, thanks to SSDs they are as fast as Macs now, they are just as durable, you have more affordable high end app options in the Microsoft store... hell, they even look better now than Apple's machines.

To me, Apple has lost its advantage with desktop computers. Everything I admired about them in 2007, PCs can now do as well. Some things they even do better. I still think Apple has the edge when it comes to devices with limited physical space in them, like laptops and iPhones - their RAM efficiency and protocols really comes into play there. But with desktop machines, you can stack up on SSDs, RAM, CPU and anything else without any space concerns so they kind of lose their edge there. The new Mac Pro doesn't have any capabilities that would justify an $11k purchase to me when I can have an equally great PC for $3-5k.
Thanks a lot for that detailed response! Much appreciated. And yes, I painfully remember Vista.

Just wanted to also say thank you to @A.Dern for the YouTube videos - even though they cover some of the ground I'm familiar with, there are also some very useful additional tips - so I've enjoyed watching these, although you look cold in the latest videos, as if the heating has broken in your studio?

Hi,

I found this Youtube video by Composer Anne-Kathrin Dern very helpful, and interesting. She is discussing Strings Sample Libraries in Part 4 of her series on Sample Libraries. Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Thanks. What a rich resource. I started checking out A-K's videos and am currently digesting her Composer Q&A 3-part series.

Already I find I am less backed off about using strings as I bought into the BS that I don't know (never will) the nuanced language and tech of using them. Less baggage already.

re: Anne-Kathrin Dern -- Almost another lifetime ago, when I was in LA I met such professionals: young, super-talented, confident, composed and just a blast to work with. Her series is making me homesick.

I do hope she and others fare well during Covid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom