What's new

Community Brass Programming Exercise - Olympic Fanfare

I have to apologise, if I came across as patronising. That was definitely not my intention.
I can see that people don’t want to spend aeons for a short mockup like that.
However, I can definitely see a huge benefit by doing so. We learn exactly how our libraries work and
what they are capable of.
I‘m working on the mockup in between work breaks. So Far, I have been spending time on the trumpets. Got MSB, Jaeger, Symphonic Brass and Opus in the project. But I will see, if I can add CineBrass, too.
I’m very interested in the results myself. This might take some time…
No worries! This thread is all about helping us all improve our usage of these libraries, so your feedback is welcome. It does of course carry more weight if you can show us how to do it better :) We will be looking forward to your version and any tips / tricks you can help provide.

Why is that sad though? I think it’s nice that even still, human players playing together live are unmatched - what a great reason to continue to support them, live concerts, and scoring sessions that use them!

Of course, media budgets may not have as discerning of an ear as us - and then there’s the question of how much does the audience notice or care how close underscore sounds to a real orchestra? And can libraries today with good programming suffice?

Still waiting on your rendition :)
Oh cmon, we all want to be able to produce music at home that would sound like real players playing. This was always the dream of everyone who is into Orchestral libraries. This has nothing to do with live orchestras. It is like to think that recordings will kill live music...Realis is and was always the goal in this world.

Yeah, for the common audience, it is already on a level that movie music could be just using samples and nobody would notice but this is not the point I think.

Sadly I do not have time now as this is a busy season for my business, I don't have even all my samples installed now. But I am listening to all the mockups here with great care :)

What I miss with most examples here (excluding Adventure Brass, WIVI and SM):
you guys omit The blaring legato part in the second half completely, but use stacs instead.
I know it's way more work, but IMHO that's part of the deal and adds extremely to the realism.
As was pointed out elsewhere, you're right in principle but it has to work in practice. I wanted to respect those slurs too, but they, as recorded, just did not fit into the phrase naturally. Too lyrical. I settled for using somewhat overlapped, longer shorts than the surrounding short shorts for a similar effect. Again, this is always a compromise, and no matter how much effort you put into yours, it will be too.

Is this Berlin Brass for Kontakt or SINE?
I'm still a Kontakt luddite, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I would actually love to leave the Capsule platform behind, but I don't think Sine is quite ready for prime time yet - and, annoyingly, it's still lacking some features that I've grown to depend on (like CC control over mics etc). I'll check in on it again next year though ;)

As somebody else who used Berlin Brass, was interesting to hear the differences between your's and mine. Did you use the ensemble patches or did you break everything out amongst the individual players? Was this SINE or in Kontakt?

I just purchased Modern Scoring Brass and am excited to try out a version this weekend. Will have to see how it fares vs. this one.
I almost always use the individual players. It's just Trumpets 1 & 2 and Horns 2 & 4 in the first part, and the third trumpet and two remaining horns (and trombones and tuba of course) join in the second part. I only used the single articulation patches, all spread out across separate tracks - that way I can easily layer articulations with separate timing, velocity and controller data, which I think is often essential to getting the most out of this and other libraries. It can be quite labor intensive though.

Curious to hear how you get along with Modern Scoring Brass. There hasn't been a lot of talk about it on here I think. I still have this nagging feeling that there's a decent library in there but I just haven't learned how to use it right yet, or something. Should spend more on it.

I think it's really hard for any one library to pull off material like this though. If I were to try to render this piece 'for real' I would probably try mixing and matching libraries and try playing to their relative strengths. That might have been a more interesting exercise to attempt, and I might have another go later, but right now I'm also kind of tired of hearing this piece :)

I like the Cinebrass, CSB, and Synchron demos so far!

The ones that partially used Adventure Brass are pretty good as well.

This is a hard one so respect to everyone who threw their hat in the ring!

I think just to be brutally honest none of the demos are even getting really close to the original recording so what matters the most in these comparisons is if the samples have the right musicality and assertive, fanfare attitude, enough to overlook the sample linking problems (especially for the trumpets).

Cinebrass in particular has a lot of limitations from the performance/realism angle, but the sound is musical and authentic and just "sounds like Hollywood." If the point of a mockup is ultimately to convince a director that this will work out okay live, then I think Cinebrass is the best tool to use here.

if the goal is pure realism, like if you wanted this demo to just be the final music deliverable for an in-the-box score (which... man... that is ambitious for samples) then I just have to give it to @Dan 's Synchron demo. REALLY surprised me because I never liked any demos of Synchron Brass so far. Would love to learn more about how you're choosing & switching articulations.

Just wanted to point out that everyone should listen carefully to the original recording. Some mockups have the brass at fortissimo or above, which sounds impressive, but the original recording is just assertive playing, a forte or maybe even a little bit below at the beginning. It's not very fair to the realistic demos when they get blown out of the water because other demos are not matching the recording & just maxing out CC1. And same with some examples here that are "mastered" 18dB louder than the original recording!!

Loud sounds good but the challenge is that sample linking & artic switching!

Last edited:
I'm still a Kontakt luddite, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I would actually love to leave the Capsule platform behind, but I don't think Sine is quite ready for prime time yet - and, annoyingly, it's still lacking some features that I've grown to depend on (like CC control over mics etc). I'll check in on it again next year though ;)

I almost always use the individual players. It's just Trumpets 1 & 2 and Horns 2 & 4 in the first part, and the third trumpet and two remaining horns (and trombones and tuba of course) join in the second part. I only used the single articulation patches, all spread out across separate tracks - that way I can easily layer articulations with separate timing, velocity and controller data, which I think is often essential to getting the most out of this and other libraries. It can be quite labor intensive though.

Curious to hear how you get along with Modern Scoring Brass. There hasn't been a lot of talk about it on here I think. I still have this nagging feeling that there's a decent library in there but I just haven't learned how to use it right yet, or something. Should spend more on it.

I think it's really hard for any one library to pull off material like this though. If I were to try to render this piece 'for real' I would probably try mixing and matching libraries and try playing to their relative strengths. That might have been a more interesting exercise to attempt, and I might have another go later, but right now I'm also kind of tired of hearing this piece :)
Honestly, I wish I had chosen to be a Kontakt luddite for now instead of a new SINE adopter.

Very cool that you split the MIDI up across the individual players. Did you use the repetition 16ths articulation for the 32nd notes? The end of those seem crisper than what I was able to achieve in SINE with the ensemble patch. I am still unconvinced on the one track per articulation approach (given how well Cubase expression maps work), but I appreciate your stance :)

Yeah, MSB I think got an unfair rep on this forum (largely due to 1 or 2 posts), but from what I've seen so far (and being a fan of MSS), I think it is one of the most powerful brass libraries out there and I personally like the tone - but it may need some thickening up / layering in parts.

I want to share Hollywood Brass OPUS and MSB renditions this weekend, but then I think mixing and matching libraries is the next step (and a great skill to learn). Luckily, I love this piece and haven't tired of it yet!

I like the Cinebrass, CSB, and Synchron demos so far!

The ones that partially used Adventure Brass are pretty good as well.

This is a hard one so respect to everyone who threw their hat in the ring!

I think just to be brutally honest none of the demos are even getting really close to the original recording so what matters the most in these comparisons is if the samples have the right musicality and assertive, fanfare attitude, enough to overlook the sample linking problems (especially for the trumpets).

Cinebrass in particular has a lot of limitations from the performance/realism angle, but the sound is musical and authentic and just "sounds like Hollywood." If the point of a mockup is ultimately to convince a director that this will work out okay live, then I think Cinebrass is the best tool to use here.

if the goal is pure realism, like if you wanted this demo to just be the final music deliverable for an in-the-box score (which... man... that is ambitious for samples) then I just have to give it to @Dan 's Synchron demo. REALLY surprised me because I never liked any demos of Synchron Brass so far. Would love to learn more about how you're choosing & switching articulations.

Just wanted to point out that everyone should listen carefully to the original recording. Some mockups have the brass at fortissimo or above, which sounds impressive, but the original recording is just assertive playing, a forte or maybe even a little bit below at the beginning. It's not very fair to the realistic demos when they get blown out of the water because other demos are not matching the recording & just maxing out CC1. And same with some examples here that are "mastered" 18dB louder than the original recording!!

Loud sounds good but the challenge is that sample linking & artic switching!
Thank you for chiming in (and taking the time to listen)! Your tips and advice are most welcome (your thread a few years ago on CSS was absolutely invaluable https://vi-control.net/community/threads/css-elgar-magic.55684/#post-3988968).

I just added more of everything in v2 of JXL. When I hear the fanfare I think of countless commercial breaks on NBC and to me, it's played a bit hot. That could just be my ears too. :)

Attachments

• Olympic Fanfare v2- JXL Brass.mp3
    1.1 MB
I just added more of everything in v2 of JXL. When I hear the fanfare I think of countless commercial breaks on NBC and to me, it's played a bit hot. That could just be my ears too. :)
Glad you're continuing to refine it! The ending note of the opening motif has a starkly different dynamic than the rest of the phrase - was that intentional?

Glad you're continuing to refine it! The ending note of the opening motif has a starkly different dynamic than the rest of the phrase - was that intentional?
lol...after layering some additional instruments I did play with the note velocities of the last two notes of the trombone section. I was going by ear from what I remembered. It's very likely that I don't remember that part well enough.

One of the most common problems that itches me is when release samples of sustain articulations overlap the next note, which is clearly not natural and ruins the enjoyment for me. I think this happens often when we try to do faster things with articulations that were scripted to work at slower speeds, like legato and sustain.

One suggestion I have is to seriously consider using "articulation substitutions", i.e. they might be the wrong articulation strictly according to the score, but they match the intended performance far better, or they help workaround limitations of the samples.

Every library is different in this regard, so it's unavoidably some trial and error, but some examples would be:
  • Using staccato or short portato instead of a brief sustained note that occurs between breaths
  • Using staccato for the last note in a slurred group of notes, when that last note needs to be released quickly
  • Using sfz, fortepiano, or marcato instead of sustain when the performer would have a bouncy or accented character to the sound
  • Believe it it not, staccato might sometimes work in place of fast legato, for small 3-4 note runs, for trumpets and brass. In pops and jazz, I think brass players especially trumpets often articulate their fast legato in a way that actually kind of separates each note, and that's usually not the style of legato that is sampled. For just 3-4 fast notes, staccato can sometimes provide just the right illusion of pops/jazz style articulated fast legato.
  • I'm sure there's a lot of other examples depending on the library.
  • Like Stevie suggested earlier, don't forget to experiment with drastic CC curves, too, as another way to shape more articulations from fewer samples.

Last edited:
The most challenging part I’m finding about this piece is getting that bright sound with a soft attack. Infinite can do that no problem, but it’s requiring some tricky layering to get the effect with traditional samples.

Very cool that you split the MIDI up across the individual players. Did you use the repetition 16ths articulation for the 32nd notes? The end of those seem crisper than what I was able to achieve in SINE with the ensemble patch. I am still unconvinced on the one track per articulation approach (given how well Cubase expression maps work), but I appreciate your stance :)
Yes, those are the Repetitions 16ths patches (set to x2 speed). The note that immediately follows is either a lone staccatissimo, or staccato (for the attack pop) layered with marcato short (for length). Those three articulations - repetitions, staccato, marcato - are all slightly overlapping and with different CC curves. I had to lower CC11 a bit on the staccato to better match the volume of the repetition, and since they're all on different tracks that's easy to do without also fading out the reverb tail of the preceding note. This is why I like separate tracks ;) not ideal from a housekeeping perspective exactly, but it makes solving problems like this easier. Although it's still not as smooth and connected as I would like.

The impossible second part is a combination of marcatos and staccatos and playable runs. I couldn't really get the legato patches to work right at this tempo, so compromises had to be made. Still not really happy with it, and maybe there's a better solution.

I kinda wanna have another go at this later if I have time. This piece got under my skin.

Yeah, MSB I think got an unfair rep on this forum (largely due to 1 or 2 posts), but from what I've seen so far (and being a fan of MSS), I think it is one of the most powerful brass libraries out there and I personally like the tone - but it may need some thickening up / layering in parts.
Would love to hear what you come up with with MSB, or if you have any tips on how to get a better sound or performance out of it. I will say though that I quite like the tone of the horns and tuba.

^^ also excellent observations and tips from Noam and Shawn above.

I know this is very slightly off topic but having had a go at 1984 I thought I'd try 1996. Thought people might like a listen to Synchron brass trying even more notes :)

I'll move it to a diff thread if this is annoying
Can you share the standard unedited MIDI file so other folks can have a go as well?

Top Bottom