What's new

Community Brass Programming Exercise - Olympic Fanfare

Hope it's not cheating, but I was excited by what I got the first 2 measures to sound like with INFINITE BRASS and wanted to post.
FYI I think the midi file has some wrong notes in it - I'll try to paste a version with all cc info stripped (and put into 4 Tpt, 4 Hn, 4 Tbn + 1 Tuba format).

All feedback welcome.
First time I heard anything from "infinite" that sounds good to me.

One suggestion I have is to seriously consider using "articulation substitutions", i.e. they might be the wrong articulation strictly according to the score, but they match the intended performance far better, or they help workaround limitations of the samples.
This ^^^^

Don't feel guilty about it!

Threw together a version using Modern Scoring Brass. Couple of nice things I noticed with this library - one, you get 4 individual horns, trumpets, and trombones, which is exactly what the concert score calls for. Coupled with auto-divisi, it is very easy to ensure each part is played by the correct player (and not just keep stacking sections per note like you have to do in most other libraries). Secondly, the stage presets are really nice for positioning - similar to how I would use SP1200. Then throw on a tail verb. My only wish was that you could make some of the shorts even snappier (you have the tighten knob, but I wanted to get it even tighter). Otherwise, very easy library to use.

Attachments

• OlympicFanfare_MSB.mp3
    1,005.4 KB
I'm reading the score, and wondering how to read the harmony. It's mostly made of two-notes chords, so there is always some ambiguity in which are the chords. My guess for the first two bars is:

G-- C-d7- d7-- e-d7- | d-- C-- F---- |

In case one wants to just-tune the notes, what should be done? Leave the topmost/melody note untouched, or consider the ghost fundamental and adapt all the notes?

Or, should a fanfare be better stay in equal tuning?

As you may guess, I know nothing about brass ensemble writing.

Paolo

I tried with VSL Synchron Brass. To the original signal I added a bit of algo reverb (MIRacle), just that bit to create a more diffuse halo without covering the natural reverb.

Limiting is just a bit (less than -1dB, with occasional overpass on peaks). There is also some saturation, adding a little grain to the final sound.

Williams, Olympic Fanfare (VSL Synchron Brass)

And this is without any additional processing, only the original mics and algo reverb included in the original presets:

Williams, Olympic Fanfare (VSL Synchron Brass, Pure)

This one is with just the Decca Tree (center channel -3dB). No added reverb. Mics and host master volume at 0dB (softer than the other examples):

Williams, Olympic Fanfare (VSL Synchron Brass, Decca Tree only)

Paolo

Last edited:
I tried with VSL Synchron Brass. To the original signal I added a bit of algo reverb (MIRacle), just that bit to create a more diffuse halo without covering the natural reverb.

Limiting is just a bit (less than -1dB, with occasional overpass on peaks). There is also some saturation, adding a little grain to the final sound.

Paolo
I'm going to try my hand with Synchron Brass this weekend as well. How did you like using it?

I'm going to try my hand with Synchron Brass this weekend as well. How did you like using it?
I'm finding them easy to use. They respond well. With the help of Timbre Adjust (not used in this test*, but used elsewhere) they have a wide dynamic range. The abundance of mics makes it easy to go from very close to very far from the listener position.

The sound can be soft, singing or brassy. Staccatos can be very strong. There are several shorts, to make a gradual shift between durations. I've been finding the sound I’m after for a wide-hall library.

Paolo

(*EDIT: I revised the piece, and made subtle use of the Timbre Adjust function).

Last edited:

Paolo
Hello.
Nice ! What settings did you use ? (a mixer preset or our own ? and how much MIRacle ?) Personnaly I don't manage to have a satisfying sound from Synchron Brass, I find it too dry and thin.

Very nice version by JeeTee, I thought. Makes me think I need to spend more time with Hollywood Brass. Maybe even upgrade to the new player after all.

I had another try at this segment, this time using the version posted by duringtheafter as reference. How does this sound? I think I've lost all perspective at this point. :roflmao:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dexbdujmho6juf/VI-C%20Fanfare%20SB%20v2.wav?dl=0

Nice ! What settings did you use ? (a mixer preset or our own ? and how much MIRacle ?)
I've used bare-bone Surround to Stereo Distant presets. Duplicated instruments (like Horns 3 and 4) have been slightly modified in panning, level and EQ.

I use MIRacle so that it doesn't cover the natural reverb, but creates that sort of 'icing' on the mix. It's usually between -10-12dB, with Length and Density depending on the music.

My guess is that a Lexicon simulation (with early reflection turned down) would fit better some types of music. But I like the Bricasti-like transparent sound of MIRacle.

Personnaly I don't manage to have a satisfying sound from Synchron Brass, I find it too dry and thin.
I'm surprised you find them 'dry'. The room is big, and can result in a very wet sound. Even the closest mics are never 'dry'. The same for being 'thin' – I find them round and fat. Curious how we hear things in such a different way!

Paolo

I'm reading the score, and wondering how to read the harmony. It's mostly made of two-notes chords, so there is always some ambiguity in which are the chords. My guess for the first two bars is:

G-- C-d7- d7-- e-d7- | d-- C-- F---- |

In case one wants to just-tune the notes, what should be done? Leave the topmost/melody note untouched, or consider the ghost fundamental and adapt all the notes?

Or, should a fanfare be better stay in equal tuning?

As you may guess, I know nothing about brass ensemble writing.

Paolo
This is implied harmony; the open nature of the chords is very much Americana style (Copland etc). Added 6,7,9ths work very well in brass fanfare writing, I guess they emphasize the natural overtones.

The higher brass parts will naturally sound brighter and louder due to the natural dynamic curve of the instruments.

Not sure that you need to re-tune anything.

Curious how we hear things in such a different way!
It depends a LOT on the monitoring system.
I have several headphones around, Beyer, AKG, Sennheiser, some other good mid price.
They are not all created equal, actually there are huge differences :)

I'm surprised you find them 'dry'. The room is big, and can result in a very wet sound. Even the closest mics are never 'dry'. The same for being 'thin' – I find them round and fat. Curious how we hear things in such a different way!

Paolo
Thanks for your settings !
Yes, comparing Tree mic of Berlin Brass and Main Mic of Synchron Brass, one could say one is wet and the other dry. Much drier at least.
The thing worrying me is that the feeling of the room and the tail are often made by the additional reverb in the presets (mute the reverb on Surround to Stereo Distant, you'll see what I mean), not by the "raw" samples.

And concerning "thin", I correct : it's essentially for the trumpets (which moreover are not well balanced imo, they lack 6db (and the Horns too) comparing to Trombones and Tuba.

Top Bottom