What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings v1.7 - Available August 30!

Is there any reason one would prefer to use the Expressive Legato over the low latency one? I can't think of any..
For slower passages most likely, since you’ll get an earlier sample start on lower velocities and more of the pre-transition, so it can be a bit flowy-er.

I’ve noticed in CSW there’s occasionally some player noises during the earlier part of a transition while using close mics that can add a nice bit of intimacy, and they aren’t as apparent on Low Latency mode

For slower passages most likely, since you’ll get an earlier sample start on lower velocities and more of the pre-transition, so it can be a bit flowy-er.

I’ve noticed in CSW there’s occasionally some player noises during the earlier part of a transition while using close mics that can add a nice bit of intimacy, and they aren’t as apparent on Low Latency mode
Crystal clear, thank you!

No, sorry - I should have put this in the release notes (I was going to but totally forgot). The new version requires about 13 more GB than the previous version. v1.7 takes ~48GB after installation, but you actually need ~125GB of free space on your target drive during installation - this is a requirement of the Native Access system.

If you have more than 48GB but less than 125GB of free space on your target drive, I believe it's possible to change the target drive in the NA options, then download to that drive, and then move the fully downloaded "Cinematic Studio Strings" folder over to its normal location. So, if you're like me and have a couple of large-yet-slow mechanical external drives for general backup purposes, you could use that to download the library to, and then move the entire CSS folder to where Native Access expects it to be afterwards.

I'll look into this some more and report back with further info. This is the first time we've distributed a library via NA, so I'll ask you to bear with me for the first couple of days while we figure it all out together. :) Generally speaking though, as long as you have 125GB free on your target drive, you should be able to just right-click on CSS in NA, click "re-install" and NA should do the rest.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Thankfully both the requirements aren't too much of a problem, I'll find a way to make room for the new samples. With such a comprehensive update it's definitely worth it ;)

Bit of a brain teaser this one... Almost all my projects up until now have CSS in them. Has anyone come up with a time saving solution to avoid CSS old new ping pong? Mornings a new project where I would love to use the fantastic sounding update, later an older project, a little later a newer one. Phew!!! I really appreciate the hard work that’s gone into the 1.7 version... so thanks for that:) But it would be great if a more elegant solution for using old and new projects was possible.
Sorry, only on page 5, while reading this.

My take is: the NKIs are saved into the DAW project, so no need for the old NKIs.
But what needs to be there is the old sample pool, if that one has changed, like: renamed samples, changed samples, etc…

So, if you load an old project, the only thing we need is the old sample directory.

A bit late to the party, but Alex, thank you SO MUCH for all your work on this incredible library. I can't believe you're making this update available for free. Very much looking forward to playing around with it!

Unfortunately Native Access is seriously stupid - at least on Mac - and will as far as I know ONLY download to your boot system drive. No matter what you set in preferences.
Oh okay, thanks for the heads up - I'm looking into this with NI and will report back as soon as I hear back from them about this.

First, wow. Incredible library, and also super generous!

Second, I just wanted to check something. For runs, is it just a case of using the new legato, or is the runs mode activated on the marcato articulation?

Thanks! Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "actual" version. Just to clarify, are you referring to the new version?
Sorry, I used "actual" in two different meanings.... :)

I try to put the question more clearly (since it's really important to me to be able to open older projects...):

If I save the version that I have right now (before the release) as "CSS original" does it mean that if I open a recent project (with the original version) that it will ask for the samples? Or does it load the new version and I have to manually reload the old samples?

Sorry, I used "actual" in two different meanings.... :)

I try to put the question more clearly (since it's really important to me to be able to open older projects...):

If I save the version that I have right now (before the release) as "CSS original" does it mean that if I open a recent project (with the original version) that it will ask for the samples? Or does it load the new version and I have to manually reload the old samples?
Yes that's right - the project won't even load, as you will get many "missing samples" errors. After installing CSS1.7, to open a project, you'll need to:
  1. Rename the newly downloaded "Cinematic Studio Strings" folder to "Cinematic Studio Strings new”
  2. Rename the "Cinematic Studio Strings original" folder to "Cinematic Studio Strings”
  3. Open your old project, it should load without issue.

No, sorry that just won't work I'm afraid. They each use completely different sample sets (and patches). You'll need to finish off that project first and then move to 1.7 after that (or whenever it's convenient). :)
Argh, that's a pity. Suppose I can just do it the very primitive way and bounce out the stems and do whatever needs 1.7ing in a new project.

Nonetheless, thanks again for this incredible update. Really setting the bar higher and higher with everything you come out with.

Maybe we can have the old version loaded in another instance of vienna ensemble pro (or a different computer altogether) to use on previous projects?

When visiting your website there is currently no price information on CSS. I assume this is because it disappeared with the add to cart button until tomorrow?

Yes that's right - the project won't even load, as you will get many "missing samples" errors. After installing CSS1.7, to open a project, you'll need to:
  1. Rename the newly downloaded "Cinematic Studio Strings" folder to "Cinematic Studio Strings new”
  2. Rename the "Cinematic Studio Strings original" folder to "Cinematic Studio Strings”
  3. Open your old project, it should load without issue.
The fact is we only have ONE Native Access licence (Serial Number) that point to only ONE "Cinematic Studio Strings" folder.
But tomorrow, you'll have TWO versions of CSS structure. So if You want to keep both versions (for old project), you'll have to manage both directories (manually renamed, with a script to switch...).

Last edited:
When visiting your website there is currently no price information on CSS. I assume this is because it disappeared with the add to cart button until tomorrow?

Correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t it be possible to have both versions in the same folder structure? To be more precise, what I think I want to do:
Rename CSS folder to CSS OLD
Download new 1.7 into Folder CSS
After download rename Samples folder to Samples New
Batch re-save 1.7 with Samples new folder
Rename Instruments folder in CSS Old to Instruments old
Move entire CSS Old folder into CSS folder
That should give me the following structure within the css folder
- Instruments
- Instruments old
- Samples
- Samples new

Due to the batch re-save 1.7 instruments should load in a snap and opening old projects will not have to look for another folder.

Only theoretical of course will report back tomorrow if that actually works 😎

Correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t it be possible to have both versions in the same folder structure? To be more precise, what I think I want to do:
Rename CSS folder to CSS OLD
Download new 1.7 into Folder CSS
After download rename Samples folder to Samples New
Batch re-save 1.7 with Samples new folder
Rename Instruments folder in CSS Old to Instruments old
Move entire CSS Old folder into CSS folder
That should give me the following structure within the css folder
- Instruments
- Instruments old
- Samples
- Samples new

Due to the batch re-save 1.7 instruments should load in a snap and opening old projects will not have to look for another folder.

Only theoretical of course will report back tomorrow if that actually works 😎
Yeah I more or less suggested this earlier on in this thread but Alex really wants people to move on from the old library. Which… doesn’t make sense. His official suggestion keeps the old library anyway, but I guess it doesn’t make it that accessible making it less likely that a user will reach for the old one.

From Alek's video, seems clear to me that 1.7 sounds noticably better. And knowing how attached we all are to getting the best sound, I doubt people will continue using the old version. I know I won't save the old version, and will just touch-up 3 wip's the I used CSS on.

Top Bottom