What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings v1.7 - Available August 30!

That's an interesting idea, but I'm afraid I won't be able to add pitch bending to our libraries, as it doesn't fit in with the design, and generally causes more problems than you might think in libraries recorded in a large, ambient space. I did actually look into this about 15 years ago - I tried implementing a faked vibrato system, but I ultimately concluded that it didn't sound good enough because of the nature of ambient recordings. I think you'd be better off trying this technique with libraries recorded in small / dry spaces, as you won't run into the issues that exist when applying blanket pitch bending to mic setups at varying distances from the sound source. Thanks!
Hi @Alex W ,

Thanks for replying to my request. I didn't think about the ambience of the library (CSSS) could be problematic.

Have you tried using a HW Gesture Controller with CSSS lately ? maybe with just the close mics ?

One more thought about this, imho. Adding pitchbend control, will not change the way one uses these libraries, i.e. (CSSS) as they are intended, but offer the additional vibrato HW-Controller Gesture possibility for those who want to give it a try, so it's not going to break, or degrade the quality of the library in any manner.

Anyways.. if you think it's not a good idea, I trust your judgement, and appreciate your hard work in updating the rest of your Cinematic Studio Series libraries.

so i'm getting this right?
The advanced legato patched did not change.
Stuff changed are: Additional mixes, classic legato, marcato and shorts?
A session with an old version of css will not play at all? Or will it just sound different and/or with changed timing?

Bit of a brain teaser this one... Almost all my projects up until now have CSS in them. Has anyone come up with a time saving solution to avoid CSS old new ping pong? Mornings a new project where I would love to use the fantastic sounding update, later an older project, a little later a newer one. Phew!!! I really appreciate the hard work that’s gone into the 1.7 version... so thanks for that:) But it would be great if a more elegant solution for using old and new projects was possible.
I'm not an expert on this, but wouldn't the following work?
Backup CSS old.
Update CSS 1.7.
Move the CSS 1.7 nki-files into a subfolder ("CSS 1.7" or so).
Move the old CSS nki-files into the new CSS folder.
Locate the appropriate samples, when you load the instruments and the sounds are missing.

Then you have old and new, just with the addition of a folder structure.

Hi @Alex W ,
Have you tried using a HW Gesture Controller with CSSS lately ? maybe with just the close mics ?

One more thought about this, imho. Adding pitchbend control, will not change the way one uses these libraries, i.e. (CSSS) as they are intended, but offer the additional vibrato HW-Controller Gesture possibility for those who want to give it a try, so it's not going to break, or degrade the quality of the library in any manner.
Adding pitchbend control to legato transitions will not work properly, as both the "from" and "to" note will be affected by the bend. So you would be limited to using only close mics, with no legato, and fake vibrato, which takes away 90% of the goodness of the library. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're trying to do, but CSSS is not the right library for this approach.

so i'm getting this right?
The advanced legato patched did not change.
Stuff changed are: Additional mixes, classic legato, marcato and shorts?
A session with an old version of css will not play at all? Or will it just sound different and/or with changed timing?
That's right, well actually, the session won't even load, as you will receive "missing samples" errors. Even if you skip past them, and then load the new patches in place of all the old ones, you would then need to do a bunch of tweaking / adjusting just to get it sounding roughly the same in terms of performance. But you'd still be left with a different sounding mix, so all in all, you'd be better off just keeping the original as a backup and just using it when you need to.

Bit of a brain teaser this one... Almost all my projects up until now have CSS in them. Has anyone come up with a time saving solution to avoid CSS old new ping pong? Mornings a new project where I would love to use the fantastic sounding update, later an older project, a little later a newer one. Phew!!! I really appreciate the hard work that’s gone into the 1.7 version... so thanks for that:) But it would be great if a more elegant solution for using old and new projects was possible.
I understand that it's not a particularly elegant solution, and I apologise for that, but it's the best solution I could come up with. I did consider various options, but I also figured that eventually folks would finish most of their older projects and spend the majority of their time on newer ones. The possibility is always there to open old projects if required, and it only takes a minute to switch names.

Thanks for keeping in mind the integrity of previous products. While at first I didn’t love the idea of additional hard drive space and just having two libraries, I’d rather be able to recall previous projects in the way they were intended.

Did you ever considered just having new NKIs and new sample files that sit next to the old ones but with new names while you maintain the folder structure and library? This way folks can access 1.0 NKIs next to 1.7 NKIs in the library browser?

Thanks for keeping in mind the integrity of previous products. While at first I didn’t love the idea of additional hard drive space and just having two libraries, I’d rather be able to recall previous projects in the way they were intended.

Did you ever considered just having new NKIs and new sample files that sit next to the old ones but with new names while you maintain the folder structure and library? This way folks can access 1.0 NKIs next to 1.7 NKIs in the library browser?
No, because the whole point is that I wanted v1.7 to completely replace the original version going forward. I've worked on this for 2 years and I'm confident that you won't need or miss the old patches / samples.

Adding pitchbend control to legato transitions will not work properly, as both the "from" and "to" note will be affected by the bend. So you would be limited to using only close mics, with no legato, and fake vibrato, which takes away 90% of the goodness of the library. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're trying to do, but CSSS is not the right library for this approach.
Hey Alex, incredible work and customer service!
You are the best!

I would like to add to the pitch bend issue, that sometimes I would like to use it as an fx, on long notes, like a long bass glissando, and even if it sounds fake, I have delved inside kontakt to add pitch bend to other libraries and it works as a fake fx. Maybe you could add just the possibility of pitch bending as an fx only, with no realism in mind?

Just wanted to say WHOOOO-HOO, the demo sounds great - love that piece at the end of the youtube walkthrough. I feel cheeky asking for more, but would you consider sharing the MIDI with the horns aswell?

Oh - also (hehe) please can I also ask for real con sordino one day? It could be the lushest, darkest, smoothest con sordino ever!

For those asking about pitch bending, why not brute force it by using a pitch shifting plugin that’s MIDI CC automated? It shouldn’t be any different than pitch bend, and some even offer formant correction, conceivably a better option anyways. Plus, I’d imagine most DAWs have a way of assigning or transforming a CC to pitch bend.

If I’m off on the underlying process with pitch bend, do correct me.

Seems like you have a solution, but just to elaborate on this: @Alex W in your explanation you’re basically swapping directories, as I understand it? Maybe some helper script could be made, one to swap from old to new and vice versa?
at least on the windows side it's only a few lines inside a .bat file, not that hard to do

@Alex W thank you for sharing all this info on such a substantive update. It looks and sounds very good!

I noticed you mentioned denoising as part of this update. Is that to get rid of the hiss?

What version of Kontakt will the update run in as I am in a bit of limbo as my Mac is too old for the latest Kontakt 6.7 and if I have to use it means updating the system (which means new Graphic Card and probably Audio Interface as no new drivers), been putting it off...

OK. I get it, no problem.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

@Alex W just curious, from the video demonstration you recently uploaded, during the shorts part it looked like the short lengths were being controlled by the length of the note. Am I misunderstanding, or are short lengths no longer determined by CC-level but instead controlled by how long you hold the note? The part I'm referring to is when the cellos and basses are playing short together.

Top Bottom