What's new

Cinematic Studio Brass Articulation Management?

jamwerks

I had mixed luck using the KS's for changing arts. Is anyone using CC's for this purpose?
I can't get some basic things here working, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Legato is reached by accessing SUS, then turning on the Legato slider.
In my expression map if I do:
-CC58 05 (Sustain)
-CC58 78 (Legato)
It doesn't work.

If I do mixed notes and CC's seems to work, e.g.
-Note on C-1
-CC58 78

So is there no way to access legato with purely CC's?

Why is it that the "'Short - Sustain" slider can be assigned a CC, but the "Legato" slider can't? Am I missing something?

Strange, works for me with CC58 and the way you describe it. But I'm using a touch controller and not an expression map.

And, you don't need to send legato on if you have previously, say for instance in the beginning of the track. Also, you could try sending the legato on first and then the other and see if that helps.

I had the same issue (using Logic articulation sets). For legato sustains to trigger I had to send the sustain articulation via cc and simultaneously the legato via key switch. Same with marcato overlay for example. I bothered me at first, but Logic's articulation sets manages it quite well.

Thanks, I did (for Adagio) a few years ago. That's probably what I'll end up doing here also.

Too bad here the gui just isn't at the same level as their great sampling & scripting.

Hi @jamwerks, I've been using my custom Kontakt script for this. It's probably similar to other options mentioned here.

Personally I use 'Program Change to CC' to control articulations but I have 'Midi CC to Note' as well.
F.e. this allows to switch between legato and sustain with your sustain pedal:
Legato%20Sustain.png

So these Kontakt multiscripts allow you to trigger multiple CC's (or notes) at the same time (one trigger).

Program Change to CC:
Kontakt%20PC%20Multiscript.png

Here, PC 0 triggers CC 6 and CC 76 simultaneously on port 58. That should be legato.
PC1 triggers CC 6 again but now with CC 81 to make it sustain. Etc etc.

I've put them up here: PC to CC Multiscripts

Hope it's helpful!

Lennert

Although the expression maps feature in Cubase doesn't support sending out multiple CC values, it does support sending out multiple velocity sensitive keyswitches simultaneously. So for instance to trigger the 'legato con sord' articulation I have an expression map slot that sends out three note-on messages: one to select the sustain articulation, then the legato keyswitch (with correct velocity), and finally the con sord keyswitch (again with the correct velocity). See the manual for info on the velocity sensitive keyswitches. Am I missing something? This seems to work for me just fine without any kontakt multiscripts or duplicate kontakt instruments.

I too, am using the same method that @Akarin linked in his reply. Works fine for the strings and I adapted it for the Brass. I combined it with Open Stage Control and I switch my articulations from my touch panel, which select the appriopriate articulation from the expression map. Works fine. I can share them once I get home if anyone is interested.

Here are the expression maps I'm using for the entire Cinematic Studio series (CSS, CSSS and CSB). It has been built around the tutorial refered above. It works with my Open Stage Control template that trigger the expression map (see the map screen in the screen shot below). So far I feel it works really well. The only issue is the Sordino (which are not triggered using that method). So Either I activate the Sordino in the Kontakt UI directly, or I'd duplicate my track and Kontakt instances to have the Sordino version on those (which would probably be how I'd do it). Technically for the Brass, I could have go with only CSB Ensemble and CSB Standard as with the strings, but I prefered to shrink down and remove not available art, hence the No Muted and No Trill. Hope this help. Have fun. ;)

Attachments

• OSC expressions.PNG
    OSC expressions.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Cinematic Studios - Cubase Expression Maps.rar
    17 KB · Views: 60
For con sord and legato, you can use the velocity sensitive keyswitches to enable/disable these features. The CSS and CSB manual explains these velocity sensitive keyswitches. There's no need to have duplicate instruments to switch between legato and non-legato, or con sord and senza sord, when you can just stack multiple note-on messages with the requisite velocity values in the output of a single expression map slot. Basically, all of the articulations in the Cinematic Studio Series can be accessed with keyswitches alone (plus CC for articulation if you prefer that over KS). See my post above.

Last edited:
If you’re a Logic user, I can not recommend @peter Schwartz’s ARTzID enough. It has a script specifically for CSS and CSB that completely removes any and all headaches about this, and even allows functionality not normally without. It just works.

Great sounding library. Has now the #1 slot in my template (next to Century & some Cine), but the gui is too elementary. We should have so many more features and possibilities!

Is anyone else using it in Pro tools?..

I can't seem to remove articulations from it or CSS/CSSS..

Top Bottom