What's new

Christian Henson's YouTube Channel - Nighty Night!

Hey @christianhenson amazing work on your latest video, they are a gold mine and look forward to seeing the next one, being an upcoming composer, my next big step is to consider working with live musicians. I would love to hear what your process / advice on actually booking the studios and wonderful musicians that you are very fortunate to work with on a regular basis. Thanks so much as always, and hope to support you and Spitfire the best I can in the future!

Chris Wonfor aka Cleffer :)

Here's the latest, non-nerds should give this a wide berth!

You rushed the auxes-bounce-printing-in-Logic bit a bit. I have sat through the longer previous stemming/naming protocol video, of course. Could you briefly summarise again...

Is it right that you create auxes for each stem (like groups in conventional mixing) and each stem's reverb, so you can bounce all stems in one pass... or...?

(I ask because I am thinking of stemming library tracks if I can make it straightforward enough. Also if it might be better logic than my conventional group bussing and FX returns that I use in Logic.)

Hi sorry, its a semantic issue with logic as busses are auxes, but aux tracks are something different.

So each stem has a dry 'bus' and a reverb 'bus'

There is an auxillary track for each stem with a reverb on it at 100% this receives signals via the reverb bus and then outputs to the dry bus along with the dry signals.

There then is an auxiallry track for each stem with an input from the dry bus, this is so I don't have to activate inputs on tracks.,

Then there is a duplicate set of audio tracks which have the same inputs as the aux's when bouncing the stems I mute the aux tracks put the audio tracks into record and run it down.... although people are coming up with alternative routes for that which I'll be sure to bore you with at some stage in the future.

Can I ask a rather naive question. Is delivering stems as ProTools files the standard way and the most common one?

Do you usually compose in Logic then transfer to ProTools then?

Andy why is that? Is it just that most dubbing setups only use ProTools?

Hi sorry, its a semantic issue with logic as busses are auxes, but aux tracks are something different.

So each stem has a dry 'bus' and a reverb 'bus'

There is an auxillary track for each stem with a reverb on it at 100% this receives signals via the reverb bus and then outputs to the dry bus along with the dry signals.

There then is an auxiallry track for each stem with an input from the dry bus, this is so I don't have to activate inputs on tracks.,

Then there is a duplicate set of audio tracks which have the same inputs as the aux's when bouncing the stems I mute the aux tracks put the audio tracks into record and run it down.... although people are coming up with alternative routes for that which I'll be sure to bore you with at some stage in the future.
Tx for this. Kept staring at these paragraphs. Probably much easier explained in 30 secs in a future episode of Willie Nilly!

Hey procreative.

Over the last 5 years a pro tools session has become standard delivery method as dubbing theatres have all gone that way. I think I like to mix in pro tools from Audio as there is a baking process and scrutiny to each track that I enjoy. Its not just where you got up to on Logic spat out into stems.

I also think Pro Tools sounds better.

Best,

C

Would love to see any vids etc. Regarding CH's template approach. I'm currently torturing myself trying to settle on an approach. as much as I enjoy torturing myself, listening to my tracks really fills that need by itself.

CH,

I gave up the single large template concept about the same time as you on your recommendation and it is also worked out very well for me and my creativity and most importantly freshness.

Some Phobos nerdiness in the near future definitely needed :)

I ordered a Chromecast just so I could cast out your videos to my TV :roflmao:

Last edited:
lol, when you pulled that little piano out at 9min ish...made me laugh quite a bit, its like...you were all serious then suddenly...tiny piano for 3 seconds..love it.

Thanks for your concern it's just awful I used to live two or three streets away and would take my kids to Borough market every weekend..... unimaginable madness.

Thanks for your concern it's just awful I used to live two or three streets away and would take my kids to Borough market every weekend..... unimaginable madness.

Just found out the news. Makes me feel concerned about the General Election. Thank goodness we have music to distract us...

Here's me f**king around at Air studios for a couple of days:

Damn man, I think you need to be awarded an Honorary degree for dangling Carrots! Sure does look fun working for Spitfire! And thanks again for your Stems video!

Top Bottom