What's new

Choir Library?

And on this opposite side, provided you are not in a severe budget, I would warmly recommand Audiobro as a company very dedicated to their customers.
They are on sale now. But at the moment I'm writing, I can't find the regular version of Eternity (that I bought yesterday), there is only the complete one (regular + expanded). You also have a bundle of complete Eternity + Genesis.
I'm only begenning to using it, but i sounds very promising, versatile. Something like the go-to and only choir I need. (That's the case with their Strings and Brass, I feel no need to accumulate gear, I'm covered.
The BAD thing is they don't have woodwinds.

I’ll never recommend 8dio’s products for two reasons:
1) Unless you plan on writing tracks exactly like what you hear in the demos, and I mean EXACTLY, then you’re going to run into a crazy amount of inconsistencies and struggle to make them fit your piece.
2) They have a history of threatening influencers/reviewers who point out the flaws in their products with legal action. When confronted on this forum by this they pretended to be the victims. I won’t support that type of business owner.

Strezov Choir Essentials will do everything you need and will sound better than the 8dio stuff.

If budget is a concern, skip out on Oceania for now. It will go on sale again.
I agree with the reservations about 8dio. That said Silka and Insolidus are both wonderful libraries if also very niche.

I’ll never recommend 8dio’s products for two reasons:
1) Unless you plan on writing tracks exactly like what you hear in the demos, and I mean EXACTLY, then you’re going to run into a crazy amount of inconsistencies and struggle to make them fit your piece.
2) They have a history of threatening influencers/reviewers who point out the flaws in their products with legal action. When confronted on this forum by this they pretended to be the victims. I won’t support that type of business owner.

Strezov Choir Essentials will do everything you need and will sound better than the 8dio stuff.

If budget is a concern, skip out on Oceania for now. It will go on sale again.
I would almost say you are taking a page out of my Spitfire notebook....except it's toward 8Dio.

Thanks for the input! As a reference I don't do traditional orchestral mixes but lean somewhat in the hybrid direction.

No problem at all!

Ignoring my own reservations for recommending 8Dio (similar reasons as @Trash Panda gave), I would say Lacrimosa would be far better for what you're wanting. Insolidus/Silka are basically only soft, atmospheric music. Lacrimosa mostly does epic but it can go soft and atmospheric as well. It's not the best at it, but it can do it.

If you want something that's good at both, doesn't break the bank, and just works for now until you get something better, I'd still suggest Strezov's Choir Essentials as something to look into. It really can do both soft and epic really well without any noticeable drop in quality. It is €149 off sale, so if that's still too expensive for you right now, that's perfectly fair.

At the risk of appearing like I'm shilling my own music, here's two examples of me using Wotan & Freyja (which Choir Essentials has a bit of) in both an atmospheric and epic context. I could definitely do better on each song, but it should still show how much ground these choirs cover.

As someone who owns Choir Essentials, I'd love some assistance with trying to make it sound softer. Even with the Mod down it still sounds intense to me.

Choirs in many ways are much easier to pick up as opposed to strings/brass/etc libraries.

They generally do the trick just about all of them. The issue comes down to sound and gender and children’s choirs.

Hollywood Choir is my go to, just a great sound and you can separate men and women, word builder is so good compared to other libraries. But no children’s choir.

If I were to do this all over again I would go with Stretzov Sampling and buy a male, women and children’s choir separately. I like to fine tune, probably too much.

As someone who owns Choir Essentials, I'd love some assistance with trying to make it sound softer. Even with the Mod down it still sounds intense to me.
I think that they can't do softer than that. If I recall, this lib is a strip down version of Freyja, Wootan and Arva, which were made for epic music. You'll get better results buying a soft choir like Originals or the Metropolis Ark 2.

I think that they can't do softer than that. If I recall, this lib is a strip down version of Freyja, Wootan and Arva, which were made for epic music. You'll get better results buying a soft choir like Originals or the Metropolis Ark 2.
I don't think they were? Wotan kind of was—and even then it's demonstrated in a lot of non-epic contexts—but Freyja and Arva certainly weren't (though Freyja does fit into it still).
StormChoir, on the other hand...

Choirs in many ways are much easier to pick up as opposed to strings/brass/etc libraries.

They generally do the trick just about all of them. The issue comes down to sound and gender and children’s choirs.
I don't think this is true at all. Indeed I find choirs are as distinct from each other as strings. Few can handle the full dynamic range of a choir. And if you want choirs that can sing words, the options are very limited indeed.

I don't think this is true at all. Indeed I find choirs are as distinct from each other as strings. Few can handle the full dynamic range of a choir. And if you want choirs that can sing words, the options are very limited indeed.
Right, and even more limited if you want separate SATB voicing.
I think I can count the number of choirs that do that on one hand. The ones that sing words, even less so.

Right, and even more limited if you want separate SATB voicing.
I think I can count the number of choirs that do that on one hand. The ones that sing words, even less so.
East West Symphonic Choir and AudioBro's Eternity are the only two that come to mind. There are a few more if you include more limited sets of syllables. But even SATB is not all that common.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but it all depends what you want to do. When it comes to words only one can provide that at the time “type-and-sing” like EWHC. But just about all other libraries provide enough of features to add basic choir coverage to get a result that works.

I have quite a few choir libraries and able to replace them among each other and it does not sound like night and day…obviously Silka and one trick pony libraries are exception.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but it all depends what you want to do. When it comes to words only one can provide that at the time “type-and-sing” like EWHC. But just about all other libraries provide enough of features to add basic choir coverage to get a result that works.

I have quite a few choir libraries and able to replace them among each other and it does not sound like night and day…obviously Silka and one trick pony libraries are exception.
Most choirs are lacking a good soft layer and when they have that they lack a good loud layer. Many have too few syllables and those that have enough sometimes don’t let you access the syllables to choose the syllable (OT especially).

Then too you may as well say that any ensemble string library with sustain, staccato, and legatos and two or three dynamic layers provides enough features to get the job done. Which isn’t wrong either, but doesn’t mean that having more than one is redundant or that you won’t often be better served by string libraries with more and different options, broken down by sections, that have a longer list of articulations, that have more dynamic layers, round robins and so forth,

And let’s not even talk about the ridiculous level that people go to to find the right virtual pano sound when really any one of them will provide enough options to get the job done.

It’s down to what matters to you and your music. For me choirs are infinitely deep, deeper than strings but pretty much any piano within reason will do. If any choir will do for you there’s nothing wrong with that of course but it tells me that what you want from your music is quite different from what I want from mine.

Top Bottom