What's new

Choir Library?

Onemandown

Probably an AI
G'day all,

I've been really tempted by the sale on the 8dio choirs and I the only choir I have right is Olympus micro. Without too much hating on 8dio, is Lacrimosa or the Humanity choirs bundle worth it at $98, or should I grab Oceania for $79? Or is there an option C? I've spent a decent bit of money recently on other areas so I'd like to go with something cheap for now and those choirs seem to be pretty feature rich without breaking the bank. Appreciate your thoughts!

Well I have Lacrimosa and just recently got Oceenia. Basically since 8Dio libraries are on sale a lot more often, it is probably the better option to get Oceania before the price goes up again.

Lacrimosa is a good allaround choir for quick work. Tight enough without excessive vibrato and pretty nicely sitting in the mix despite of the genre- I used it as my basic one for years for all that just needed quickly "some choir".

Despite of that, I switched to EW Hollywood Choirs a couple of months back and haven't look back since. Those are a bit pricier though, about 125 € on sale. But they have a bit more clearer sound and are a bit more versatile IMO. I love Oceania but it's so over the top that unless I'm going full Conan the Barbarian or Disney, the vibrato is killing it, haha!

Oceania are both a bit “one trick ponies”. If you like or need that particular choir flavour, they’re great. But I’d maybe go for an 8Dio offer that includes Lacrimosa, Liberis and especially Insolidus and Silka. No idea what the current sale is, but there’ll be another one in a day or two. The 8Dio choirs are pretty good and have a broader set of use cases than Oceania.

Lacrimosa is pretty good for the big epic music. Spitfire Originals Epic Choir and the mixed choir patch from Metropolis 5 sounds really nice and are my current go-to choirs for the price. Or, you could wait a little bit for Audio Imperia's summer sale to pick up Chorus if it goes on sale.

If I were to buy a satb choir, I would directly go for Audiobro Eternity. Genesis (children choir) is awesome, Eternity must be the same kind of quality.
Eternity is not the easiest choir to use. It may be one of the easiest word builders to use, but if you just need random syllables or legato vowels, there are choirs that are much easier to use. Eternity is also somewhat more difficult to use than Genesis because it has more options.

I have used both Lacrimosa and Insolidus, but not Silka. Personally, I didn't get along too well with either of them, but that's more of a taste thing.

Lacrimosa is pretty decent and pretty massive, being the size of choir it is. While the lack of SATB effectively means you at least double the choir size when playing more than one note (if you divide male and female choirs, that is), it doesn't really get as negatively affected by this as Majestica is. Though myself found the size more of a burden than a boon for my sort of music, and while it can do soft and delicate, I didn't find it to do it particularly well.

Insolidus is the exact opposite, being a smaller choir focused on soft and emotional music. It has a rather dark, heavy sound which I found to quickly get muddy with what I was trying to use it for. But, that's entirely a matter of opinion on my end and I can see this working well for others. In fact, I have used it well myself before, it just didn't cover nearly as much ground as I wanted it to.

If you want a different option to look into, Strezov Sampling's Choir Essentials might be worth it. Currently it's not on sale, but whenever it does, it might be at a similar price as the rest of your options if not lower. I have the full version of Wotan and Freyja (which CE is based on, along with a couple other choirs of theirs) and their versatility really can't be understated.

Did the OP specified what kind of choir vibe he wants? Should likely look at Strezov sampling for sure, and also the Eric Whitacre choirs from Spitfire. So much nuance out there now. For "general purpose," with a very good Wordbuilder, there's also East West Hollywood Choirs.

[note: I have received free products from Strezov, East West, and Spitfire]

G'day all,

I've been really tempted by the sale on the 8dio choirs and I the only choir I have right is Olympus micro. Without too much hating on 8dio, is Lacrimosa or the Humanity choirs bundle worth it at $98, or should I grab Oceania for $79? Or is there an option C? I've spent a decent bit of money recently on other areas so I'd like to go with something cheap for now and those choirs seem to be pretty feature rich without breaking the bank. Appreciate your thoughts!
It really and truly depends on what type of choral presence your music needs. Most choir libraries are so heavily specialized it's impossible to answer without the appropriate context of how they would be used.

Eternity is not the easiest choir to use. It may be one of the easiest word builders to use, but if you just need random syllables or legato vowels, there are choirs that are much easier to use. Eternity is also somewhat more difficult to use than Genesis because it has more options.
Oups, I've just bought it, litteraly. We'll see. As I have all Audiobro stuff, I feel like it is natural to follow.

Can Eternity do "epic" a la "O Fortuna"?

If either of you have a chance, could you post a sound sample of Eternity doing the "epic" thing?

Thank you
I haven't tried it on that yet, since I have many, many other choirs that can handle it. It does the Orff soft clipped staccato vocal bits quite well.

Top Bottom