What's new

Choir Library?

I paid $278 for just Silka a few years ago on sale and to this day I don't regret it. Back then they didn't devalue their libraries so much.
Here is an example of what I did with it shortly after I bought it.
Nice writing!

You keep using....dynamics....

Is it easier to use than Hollywood Choirs if one is trying to string together non-gibberish words?
I don’t have Hollywood Choirs but I find Eternity much easier than the related word builder in Symphonic Choir. It’s also generally easier than Dominus or Dominus Pro. I think the East West word builder is more versatile, especially for English words.

I don’t have Hollywood Choirs but I find Eternity much easier than the related word builder in Symphonic Choir.
I find the wordbuilder in Hollywood Choirs much better than the wordbuilder in the old Symphonic Choirs. IDK if they have now brought the SC version up to the same standard.

Specifically, the Hollywood Choirs' wordbuilder doesn't require as much fiddling to get the rhythm close to what you want. Still better to have real singers.

I have used both Lacrimosa and Insolidus, but not Silka. Personally, I didn't get along too well with either of them, but that's more of a taste thing.

Lacrimosa is pretty decent and pretty massive, being the size of choir it is. While the lack of SATB effectively means you at least double the choir size when playing more than one note (if you divide male and female choirs, that is), it doesn't really get as negatively affected by this as Majestica is. Though myself found the size more of a burden than a boon for my sort of music, and while it can do soft and delicate, I didn't find it to do it particularly well.

Insolidus is the exact opposite, being a smaller choir focused on soft and emotional music. It has a rather dark, heavy sound which I found to quickly get muddy with what I was trying to use it for. But, that's entirely a matter of opinion on my end and I can see this working well for others. In fact, I have used it well myself before, it just didn't cover nearly as much ground as I wanted it to.

If you want a different option to look into, Strezov Sampling's Choir Essentials might be worth it. Currently it's not on sale, but whenever it does, it might be at a similar price as the rest of your options if not lower. I have the full version of Wotan and Freyja (which CE is based on, along with a couple other choirs of theirs) and their versatility really can't be understated.
Thanks for the input! As a reference I don't do traditional orchestral mixes but lean somewhat in the hybrid direction.

I haven't tried it on that yet, since I have many, many other choirs that can handle it. It does the Orff soft clipped staccato vocal bits quite well.
Yes, I just discoverd a few things (lack of time un-fortuna-tely ;) but it seems very promising. And definitely, those soft stac whispered may very well play Carmina Burana. If you have a .mid file I can try something if you want.

It really and truly depends on what type of choral presence your music needs. Most choir libraries are so heavily specialized it's impossible to answer without the appropriate context of how they would be used.
I'm centered in the epic/hybrid orchestral genre but I do delve into smaller ensembles occasionally. I was looking at lacrimosa because it looked like it could get pretty epic out of the box but I'm willing to do some layering as well if it means I gain versatility. That said, any thoughts?

I'm centered in the epic/hybrid orchestral genre but I do delve into smaller ensembles occasionally. I was looking at lacrimosa because it looked like it could get pretty epic out of the box but I'm willing to do some layering as well if it means I gain versatility. That said, any thoughts?
Get Oceania and call it a day. :thumbsup:

Will that lend itself to atmospheric music as well? I love the idea of Oceania and the price can't be beat right now but I do all kinds of music off the orchestral beaten path lol.
Throw in Strezov Choir Essentials and all bases are covered in a much better package.

Throw in Strezov Choir Essentials and all bases are covered in a much better package.
The only difficulty is that now I'm up at the 200+ range, which wouldn't usually be a big deal but I'm still holding out for a woodwinds upgrade. And also, my wallet's starting to feel a little lighter from all the wanton "add to cart" I've been doing recently. I was looking at the 8dio stuff because both the insolidus + silka bundle and lacrimosa were both right at $100. Would there be a reason to avoid either of these options? I'll probably get another choir within the next six months or so but I'd like something solid for now that doesn't give me buyer's remorse lol.

The only difficulty is that now I'm up at the 200+ range, which wouldn't usually be a big deal but I'm still holding out for a woodwinds upgrade. And also, my wallet's starting to feel a little lighter from all the wanton "add to cart" I've been doing recently. I was looking at the 8dio stuff because both the insolidus + silka bundle and lacrimosa were both right at $100. Would there be a reason to avoid either of these options? I'll probably get another choir within the next six months or so but I'd like something solid for now that doesn't give me buyer's remorse lol.
I'd say that the 8dio choirs could definitely get you by. There will probably be some limitations about them you may be dissatisfied with but for their current price it's a steal. Lacrimosa can do quiet well enough and has plenty of articulations, and Insolidus/Silka can do your emotive stuff where you won't be able to fill in with Lacrimosa and whatever other choirs you already have.

I'd say that the 8dio choirs could definitely get you by. There will probably be some limitations about them you may be dissatisfied with but for their current price it's a steal. Lacrimosa can do quiet well enough and has plenty of articulations, and Insolidus/Silka can do your emotive stuff where you won't be able to fill in with Lacrimosa and whatever other choirs you already have.
If I had to pick insolidus/silka or lacrimosa, do you have a preference?

If I had to pick insolidus/silka or lacrimosa, do you have a preference?
Lacrimosa, then. I feel like it is the more flexible of the two choices. It can do soft nominally well and it can definitely do loud. You can customize phrases in a limited capacity if you want gibberish. You can hide some of the bad stuff with a good mix. Meaning, reverb is your friend and messing with dynamics can help you hide recording artifacts like time stretching.

I’ll never recommend 8dio’s products for two reasons:
1) Unless you plan on writing tracks exactly like what you hear in the demos, and I mean EXACTLY, then you’re going to run into a crazy amount of inconsistencies and struggle to make them fit your piece.
2) They have a history of threatening influencers/reviewers who point out the flaws in their products with legal action. When confronted on this forum by this they pretended to be the victims. I won’t support that type of business owner.

Strezov Choir Essentials will do everything you need and will sound better than the 8dio stuff.

If budget is a concern, skip out on Oceania for now. It will go on sale again.

Top Bottom