What's new

Avatar - highest grossing film ever

Yeah! Yeah! yeah! I had seen that back then. He said: "I'm king of the world!" Which, to be honest, I found was appropriate and amusing in these circumstances, a little wink to an unforgettable quote from the movie, and it was his moment.

So what!

I certainly hope people aren't basing their idea of having a huge ego based on that?

It's common knowledge that he has a huge ego. He can also be pretty horrible to work with. He has a military fetish and runs his films like a boot camp. James Horner always ages about 10 years after working with him.

Yeah! Yeah! yeah! I had seen that back then. He said: "I'm king of the world!" Which, to be honest, I found was appropriate and amusing in these circumstances, a little wink to an unforgettable quote from the movie, and it was his moment.

So what!

I certainly hope people aren't basing their idea of having a huge ego based on that?

It's common knowledge that he has a huge ego. He can also be pretty horrible to work with. He has a military fetish and runs his films like a boot camp. James Horner always ages about 10 years after working with him.

That's because these guys knows exactly what they want, and have enormous pressure and a time delay to respect, and these are HUGE films he's undertaking, so it's normal he needs strict discipline when working and for some that may be interpreted as ego, bossy, mean etc. It's his ass that's on the line....

So what!

That's because these guys knows exactly what they want, and have enormous pressure and a time delay to respect, and these are HUGE films he's undertaking, so it's normal he needs strict discipline when working and for some that may be interpreted as ego, bossy, mean etc. It's his ass that's on the line....

So you agree that I'm right, he's an ass. Thank you.

I think most directors who work on big budget films have tremendous pressure put on them to deliver (not sure the whole "deliver on time" registers with Cameron anyway).

This is not about running a tight and organized ship, that goes without saying.

This is about perceiving yourself as being the sole savior of the film industry, and having an "I can do no wrong" attitude.

Don't get me wrong, Cameron has talent in spades, but we don't need to be reminded of it every time he has a chance.

PS.

There are plenty other directors who work on high budget films who manage to be very pleasant, even humble.

I think most directors who work on big budget films have tremendous pressure put on them to deliver (not sure the whole "deliver on time" registers with Cameron anyway).

This is not about running a tight and organized ship, that goes without saying.

This is about perceiving yourself as being the sole savior of the film industry, and having an "I can do no wrong" attitude.

Don't get me wrong, Cameron has talent in spades, but we don't need to be reminded of it every time he has a chance.

PS.

There are plenty other directors who work on high budget films who manage to be very pleasant, even humble.

Thanks Midphase. I don't know him well enough to make any judgement about that, and I like to be careful of all the "hear say" stuff, but I'll take your word for it. :)

I like both the adjusted and raw sales as a measure, plus ancillaries.
Avatar is the biggest game changing film now.
Gone With The Wind and Star Wars were all that and more in their era. Maybe what film had the box office record longest is a way of measuring popular impact. That goes to GWTW.
Yet merchandising and transmedia projects have been huge since the 60's. There SW leads.
Any other ideas on how to measure success? Personal satisfaction, awards, sequels.

It may be raining money on Cameron's roof, but in my opinion the best film ever made, was a film done 70 years ago with no special effects: "Citizen Kane".

But I'm going to see Avatar tomorrow, so maybe I'll change my mind. :)

Can you imagine Citizen Kane as a blue 9 feet tall guy yelling in some alien lanugage "RESOBUD...."!? Honestly I thought of that image and laughed at myself...

Main characters in Avatar are 9 feet tall blue aliens and there's a lot of yelling going on... :D

Top Bottom