What's new

Avatar - highest grossing film ever

mjc

Hey guys,

I just discovered (excuse me if if I'm a late comer in his realisation) that Avatar took over Titanic as the highest grossing film ever. I liked the film, saw it in in 3D, but haven't been compelled to see it again. I also liked the score (despite Horner's blatant references to Titanic) but kinda 'meh' about the whole scenario haha...it's definitely no Lord of the Rings in my book, but then again I'm a Tolkien nerd :D

I'm very aware there's been a whole topic already on the Horner score, but as for the movie (which I've admittedly enjoyed to certain degree) was taken by surprise tonight when I discovered it's become the highest grossing film ever! Good on ya James Cameron...kinda lol...he has his way of getting the general public interested!! (this is not to be 'for' or 'against' him in any way...just an observation :wink: )

Your thoughts??

Cheers,
Andy

My thoughts:

1) Well done JC
2) However the ticket prices are very high and inflation helps.
3) Numberof tickets sold is the one to go for
4) That might still happen
5) at any rate it's quite an acheivement by JC any way you cut it.

yeah its pretty impressive...but as far as attendance and actual ticket numbers, they dont quite match up tho.

I read Avatar still hasnt cracked the top 50 in terms of actual attendance, but have risen to the top spot due to the increased 3D ticket price,and also becouse the dollar is weak and the revenue from "foreign" terretories are somewhat inflated in that regard.

Still tho...money is money.

"Well the film is garbage but I'm happy for Cameron. "

I agree....except for being happy for Cameron....I don't think this is helping his over-inflated ego.

"Well the film is garbage but I'm happy for Cameron. "

I agree....except for being happy for Cameron....I don't think this is helping his over-inflated ego.

Yeah, but it's not like his ego can get any bigger, he was already the "king of the world" over a decade ago. I was afraid if Avatar was a flop that he wouldn't make many more films. I'm hoping that Avatar was an anomaly, that his next film will be good. He spent 10 years on Avatar and I don't know how you can make a good film after spending that much time on it. How do you not lost all perspective and get sick of the material. Of course, though, he could just be anò†ßÁε†ßÁζ†ßÁη†ßÁθ†ßÁι†ßÁκ†ßÁλ†ßÁμ†ßÁν†ßÁξ†ßÁο†ßÁÎÀ†ßÁÎÁ†ßÁΆßÁÎÆßÁÎĆßÁÎņßÁÎƆßÁÎdžßÁÎȆßÁÎɆßÁÎʆßÁΈßÁÎ̆ßÁÎ͆ßÁÎΆßÁÎφßÁÎІßÁÎцßÁÎÒ†ßÁÎÓ†ßÁÎÔ†ßÁÎÕ†ßÁÎÖ†ßÁÎ׆ßÁÎ؆ßÁÎÙ†ßÁÎÚ†ßÁÎÛ†ßÁÎ܆ßÁÎ݆ßÁÎÞ†ßÁÎ߆ßÁÎà†ßÁÎá†ßÁÎâ†ßÁÎã†ßÁÎä†ßÁÎå†ßÁÎæ†ßÁÎç†ßÁÎè†ßÁÎé†ßÁÎê†ßÁÎë†ßÁÎì†

Well the film is garbage
Another "over-the-top"-posting by Choco :wink:

Are you implying that I'm exaggerating? The only thing this film has going for it is the first 15 minutes where you're impressed by the visuals(not nearly as impressive as all the hype had led you to believe). After about 15 minutes that novelty wears off and then what do you have left? The promise that in 2 and a half hours you'll get to take the stupid glasses off.

I think Choco even judges his own poo:

"Hmm, not really nice ... a bit flat on one side ... but okay, it helped"

=o

Not only was there a crappy story I didn't like how they jumped from telling you that they are about ready to wipe these people out and how they are "very hard to kill" implying they have been fighting with them, to the scientists being "in" with them where the aliens would teach them things and only seem mildly annoyed at their presence. If these strange alien invaders are trying to kill you, especially as life is the most important thing ever to you where you weep when so much as a plant dies, surely you'd be a bit more upset.

Also, I'm not usually one to have a problem with realism in films but WTF kind of sense did the whole Avatar thing make anyway? So they are meant to be clones with human DNA, yet they look mostly just like the real aliens apart from Sigourney Weaver.. bizarrely... and you can also transfer your conciousness into it. What is it meant to be a brain chip thing in there or something where you can experience some kind of virtual reality?

No, because at the end of the movie you see that (spoiler spoiler spoiler) which shows it is literally transferring your conciousness into these Avatars. Also, why wouldn't the Avatars have their own consciousness'? How did they manage to make them just merely soulless empty vessels ready to be taken over by the humans? They just assume we won't ask that question I guess. I think a better idea would be to have the Avatars decide they weren't going to take it anymore and start fighting back, or something. Anyway, so I dont think it really made any sense and just seemed really lazy in order to make their story work.

Oh and lastly the main character also switches sides almost as soon as he gets a hard on and does his big Braveheart impression, even though he seemed to have absolutely no ethical problem with the idea beforehand.

Overall if you've watched the trailer you've basically seen the entire film from start to finish, I exaggerate not.

I think trying to make sense of the story is hazardous to a person's health.

One thing that just came to me is the stupid exposition in this movie. The part where Giovanni Ribisi tells Sigourney Weaver(this is probably one of the few films where I can't remember a single character's name) all about how they need to get the "unobtainium" from under the ground and she's there to find a diplomatic solution. I was waiting for Sigourney to say "really? Tell me more about this unobtainium stuff. I just woke up out of a coma wearing this lab coat and have been wondering what's going on".

I think trying to make sense of the story is hazardous to a person's health.

One thing that just came to me is the stupid exposition in this movie. The part where Giovanni Ribisi tells Sigourney Weaver(this is probably one of the few films where I can't remember a single character's name) all about how they need to get the "unobtainium" from under the ground and she's there to find a diplomatic solution. I was waiting for Sigourney to say "really? Tell me more about this unobtainium stuff. I just woke up out of a coma wearing this lab coat and have been wondering what's going on".

Speaking of "unobtainium", surely that sounds like a placeholder.

So - easy to criticise anything, but what is good about it? It's seems to be resonating with most people. It's not just the CGI... the CGI helps to make a compelling and immersive world as I understand it.

What can we steal from this to make us better at our jobs making scores and films and stories?

So - easy to criticise anything, but what is good about it? It's seems to be resonating with most people. It's not just the CGI... the CGI helps to make a compelling and immersive world as I understand it.

What can we steal from this to make us better at our jobs making scores and films and stories?

I like lots of films people consider crappy, but Avatar's story really was ridiculously crap.

I find it amazing that the public's expectations have become so low that as long as they can marvel in awe at CGI effects, any mediocre and derivative story will do.

It's a shame really considering that movies like Hurt Locker, Moon and The Merry Gentleman have been overlooked by most of the public.

I find it amazing that the public's expectations have become so low that as long as they can marvel in awe at CGI effects, any mediocre and derivative story will do..

I find it amazing that so many people have been fooled by OOOH PRETTY.

If you want to watch Avatar just watch the trailer and then watch the South Park parody.

That's all you need to know.

Yes you miss out on the CGI 3D glory but if you just want to see pretty pictures then go see it, the story is just a way to string the technical accomplishments together.

Mid phase,

You mentioned something about Cameron's inflated ego. 8) I guess I don't follow him enough, haven't noticed that. What makes you say that? Just curious.

Top Bottom