What's new

AVAILABLE NOW — Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations

downloaded, first impressions:

- ...incredible sound.
- The brass and percussion are wonderful
- incredible dynamic range overall for an "ensemble" library.
- High Woods are a little soft for my taste on first hearing. Not as much clarity as I'd like even with close mics.

If this is the sonic character we can expect for the rest of this range...its going to be hard to beat.

downloaded, first impressions:

- ...incredible sound.
- The brass and percussion are wonderful
- incredible dynamic range overall for an "ensemble" library.
- High Woods are a little soft for my taste on first hearing. Not as much clarity as I'd like even with close mics.

If this is the sonic character we can expect for the rest of this range...its going to be hard to beat.
How are the spiccatos? Are they tight or sloppy?

First brief outing with the library to explore lower dynamics. No Legato obviously but creative use of releases helps a bit. Dynamic range is really great, this is with regular CC dynamics. No prerecorded swells.

Forgive my bad John Powell Impression.

Attachments

• Abbey Road One Test.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 331
First brief outing with the library to explore lower dynamics. No Legato obviously but creative use of releases helps a bit. Dynamic range is really great, this is with regular CC dynamics. No prerecorded swells.

Forgive my bad John Powell Impression.
That's lovely. Such a great sound. Entirely in the same league with the BBCSO, but those extra dynamic layers really make a difference.

How are the spiccatos? Are they tight or sloppy?

Both. Theres a tightness slider to cut into the sample more for tighter parts. Heres loose first, then tight.

EDIT: Also, this isn't quantized so if there's any timing issues, its the playing, not the samples.

Attachments

• Abbey Road Spiccs Loose.mp3
    363.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Abbey Road Spiccs Tight.mp3
    363.2 KB · Views: 186
God, those "tight" ones should be outlawed. People are sloppy.

Lol. fair enough, to be fair to the library here it is quantized and 75% tightness. Any more than this and it starts to sound pretty unnatural.

Attachments

• Abbey Road Spiccs Tight [Quantized].mp3
    374.9 KB · Views: 131
But for users of the BBCSO looking to mix in another libraries or someone after some more ensemble type patches to use with the BBCSO wouldnt something like Bernard Hermann's composers toolkit be just as well suited for this or just as good/if not better? On sale Bernard Harman composer toolkit provides many full sections, high strings, low string, woods, brass in section, legatos and more articulations and has a drier sound which could help with mixing the library in with a wetter library like the BBCSO or other libraries.
My 2 cents on BHCT is that it's definitely NOT a dry library. It's smaller and has less tail, but it's still bathed in the character of the AIR Studio One space. Not great for mixing up into a larger space. That library (and all the Studio Series) needs to stay smaller to feel right, or it feels like you're throwing a smaller tubby room into some uncharacteristically large reverb.

Such a shame the library is too limited to handle any real music though!

I thought that the demos on Spitfire's site, and Guy's demo, all sounded very good. How are those not "real music"? Or is my opinion of these tracks sounding very good simply uninformed?

Top Bottom