What's new

Articulation switching in Studio One

Robert Kooijman

here's hoping one day studio one will support expression maps. making macros to do the same is time consuming...

Yes, it was disappointing to see 4.5 didn't add this much requested feature.

However, the drum editor provides a pretty good alternative.

Because of the brilliant way Studio One incorporates the drum editor in conjunction with easy to create pitch-lists, articulation switching is arguably even simpler and more fun then in Cubase!

While there is no expression *mapping* functionality per sé as of yet in S1, one can easily assign keys-witches and name them. I'm normally using C-2 and onward: these appear then always at the top in the drum editor.

Over here, most of the key-switching is done using CCs in Kontakt. But a simple note-to-CC script either globally or on instrument level handles that. In Kontakt, you can assign multiple CC's to single notes and this gives you pretty much the same behavior as when using Cubase expression maps. An overview of your key-switches is only one mouse or key click away.

So, for example you select a violins-legato articulation on C-2, the Kontakt script then maps this to CCx for the desired articulation and CCy for legato (using e.g. $EVENT_NOTE and set_controller). Alternatively, you could skip CCs and use the default note-based key switches that come with the library, but these often start at C0 and offer less options. Once you get the hang of it, using Kontakt scripts for the mapping part is hardly more difficult then when using expression maps in Cubase :) S1 drummap 1.jpg S1 drummap 2.jpg

how do you ensure that the keyswitches are always sent before the actual sounding notes?

thats why i at least was able to rely on macros to handle that. Im not sure what is necessary with a kontakt script. I would imagine it would have to delay the playback of the notes to compensate?

It’s pretty clean I like the visual of the drum editor for keyswitches. How hard is it to change articulations of a note later or to move or copy articulated notes around?

It’s pretty clean I like the visual of the drum editor for keyswitches. How hard is it to change articulations of a note later or to move or copy articulated notes around?

It's possible to do both drum map and macros. Either way its just a lot of manual labor in labeling things to match the library. For the macro, the macros are put into groups based on the library with a pull down menu like how Art Conductor works for Logic. you select the note and then choose the articulation from the pull down menu. If you dont like it, just erase the keyswitch and choose a different articulation. Ive tested and it works on multiple notes at a time since its just a macro saying to [copy note->transpose to fixed note for the articulation (legato at C-2 for example)->humanize that note .50 ahead of the original note->paste the original note back to its original position.]

hhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/bqjsx72l3599sha/Strings Keyswitches.macropage?dl=0

this is the macro page for a few strings libraries that i finished. It's got some 8dio, Spitfire, CSS, Hanz Zimmer Strings, etc. (warning it creates a lot of macros in the macro organizer, but they're labeled with library name to make them easier to find and sort/delete if necessary)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z32k74mhlijnyx/Articulation - CSSS.pitchlist?dl=0

here's a drum map/pitch list for Cinematic Studio Solo Strings, as an example.

Last edited:
do you happen to know if its possible with S1 macros to insert program change events in front of note events, similar to what you have done, but on to the same track as PC events, or perhaps CC events?

do you happen to know if its possible with S1 macros to insert program change events in front of note events, similar to what you have done, but on to the same track as PC events, or perhaps CC events?

I've searched around but note entry itself was already hard enough. It doesn’t seem like there are any macros for program changes and cc events.

I really like Studio One, and I have high regard for the exceptional customer service I have had from Presonus.

However, the expression maps in Cubase means that S1, sadly, doesn't get much use from me.

It's possible to do both drum map and macros. Either way its just a lot of manual labor in labeling things to match the library. For the macro, the macros are put into groups based on the library with a pull down menu like how Art Conductor works for Logic. you select the note and then choose the articulation from the pull down menu. If you dont like it, just erase the keyswitch and choose a different articulation. Ive tested and it works on multiple notes at a time since its just a macro saying to [copy note->transpose to fixed note for the articulation (legato at C-2 for example)->humanize that note .50 ahead of the original note->paste the original note back to its original position.]

hhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/bqjsx72l3599sha/Strings Keyswitches.macropage?dl=0

this is the macro page for a few strings libraries that i finished. It's got some 8dio, Spitfire, CSS, Hanz Zimmer Strings, etc. (warning it creates a lot of macros in the macro organizer, but they're labeled with library name to make them easier to find and sort/delete if necessary)

How do you put these in place in S1?

How do you put these in place in S1?

Screen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-8-01-27.png

I believe if you right click the on the “pages” window on the macro toolbar, it should have options to import and export. I don’t recall if drag and drop also works. I’ll check when I’m back at my computer.

EDIT: to import a macropage use the method above, and to import a drum map/pitchlist, just drag and drop into the drum map. you might need to select "store preset" to save the drum map permanately.

just to clarify again, the macropage creates a ton of articulations, so if you want to delete them, go into the macro organizer, and delete the unnecessary ones. They're properly labeled by group (developer) so you can select them in bulk and delete them easily.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-8-07-38.png

Last edited:
Here's a short video showing key-switching in action using the drum editor in Studio One. Its in 4k, hope it's viewable.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144804792@N07/81u7j1

I used Cinematic Studio Strings, 1st Violins with all articulations (18 excl. Con Sordino):
Studio One > drum editor C-2 ... F-1 > Kontakt > KSP note mapping to CCs > CSS instrument.

When setting quantize to say 1/16 in the drum editor, it is rather easy to place key-switches just ahead of "normal" note events. I usually use keypads assigned to notes C-2 and onwards. In practice, after some getting used to, there's hardly any need to apply a negative delay.

Since its so easy and quick in Studio One 4.5.1 to switch views and have all keys-witches clearly laid-out and accessible in the drum editor, I'm hardly using Cubase these days for new projects...

For anyone interested in more details, below are the pitchlist "drum map" and KSP commands used in the video example.

Cinematic Strings default CC 58 is used for articulation switching (see CSS manual for details).
Note that it's no problem to switch between sustain, legato and advanced legato, or e.g. tremolo, tremolo legato and tremolo measured (locked to tempo).
This example also shows it is not needed to map or assign outgoing notes in the script for key-switching, everything can be done using CCs here.

<Music.PitchNameList>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Music.PitchName pitch="0" name="1st Violins Sustain"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="1" name="1st Violins Leg"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="2" name="1st Violins Leg Adv"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="3" name="1st Violins Trem Leg"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="4" name="1st Violins Trem Meas"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="5" name="1st Violins Trills Leg"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="6" name="1st Violins Marc Leg"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="7" name="1st Violins Harm Leg"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="8" name="1st Violins Spiccato"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="9" name="1st Violins Staccatism"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="10" name="1st Violins Staccato"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="11" name="1st Violins Sfz"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="12" name="1st Violins Pizzicato"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="13" name="1st Violins Bartok"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="14" name="1st Violins ColLegno"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="15" name="1st Violins Marc"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="16" name="1st Violins MarcOv"/>
<Music.PitchName pitch="17" name="1st Violins MarcOvLeg"/>
</Music.PitchNameList>

S1 keyswitch 2.jpg

Last edited:
This looks really clever! Unfortunately, most of my expression maps target multis: I need to be able to change MIDI channels.

Here's a short video showing key-switching in action using the drum editor in Studio One. Its in 4k, hope it's viewable.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144804792@N07/81u7j1

I used Cinematic Studio Strings, 1st Violins with all articulations (18 excl. Con Sordino):
Studio One > drum editor C-2 ... F-1 > Kontakt > KSP note mapping to CCs > CSS instrument.

When setting quantize to say 1/16 in the drum editor, it is rather easy to place key-switches just ahead of "normal" note events. I usually use keypads assigned to notes C-2 and onwards. In practice, after some getting used to, there's hardly any need to apply a negative delay.

Since its so easy and quick in Studio One 4.5.1 to switch views and have all keys-witches clearly laid-out and accessible in the drum editor, I'm hardly using Cubase these days for new projects...

For anyone interested in more details, below are the pitchlist "drum map" and KSP commands used in the video example.

Cinematic Strings default CC 58 is used for articulation switching (see CSS manual for details).
Note that it's no problem to switch between sustain, legato and advanced legato, or e.g. tremolo, tremolo legato and tremolo measured (locked to tempo).
This example also shows it is not needed to map or assign outgoing notes in the script for key-switching, everything can be done using CCs here.

S1 keyswitch 2.jpg

Nice! I suppose there are multiple approaches. I haven't used CC controls for CSS to switch articulations. Instead I just used keyswitches and velocity of the keyswitches.

until expression maps become a thing, it's probably good that are many options for working around it. Definitely appreciate the drum map for reminding me where keyswitches are on some libraries.

This should be possible using something like a KS router script. Have you tried that?

excellent. dont know how i missed these at orange tree. I think This will help a lot with my macros. I can just set a base keyswitch range for kontakt based libraries. I can only imagine a few libraries might take some adjusting. I think I'll still stick to the macros, because I like the speed of selecting them, but the drum map will definitely help as well.

Last edited:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqjsx72l3599sha/Strings Keyswitches.macropage?dl=0

how do you install these into S1? I'm S1 newbie so please forgive me if this is obvious..

how do you install these into S1? I'm S1 newbie so please forgive me if this is obvious..
See @chocobitz825’s post above from 5:27 yesterday in reply to me. Open the macros toolbar. Control-click on “pages” located on the left side of the toolbar with the gear icon. The contextual menu that appears should give you the option to import.

Top Bottom