What's new

Articulation switching in Studio One

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer
Cool idea to create macros for duplicating the notes and make keyswitches out of them.

Two things that came to my mind:

- Is it really the desired behaviour that more than one note will be created if you have selected multiple notes? Of course it would ensure that each note is played with the correct articulation... but I'd prefer to have just one keyswitch when the articulation should change. This can be easily done in the macro by using the "Merge Events" command.

- You currently use the Humanize command for moving the notes. There is a "Nudge back" command that will also do the job (but without a random offset). The amount depends on the current snap setting but I'd prefer that anyway (you could also call "Toogle Snap" with an argument to deactivate snap).

chocobitz825

View attachment 20766

Just a quick and dirty GIF recording, but that's how I switch articulations with multis:

http://www.gamemusic.ca/SoCh.gif
I don’t know why I only recently started using the transfer notes function. I’ve actually used this to clean up my tracks in the end after I have all my Keyswitches set. I transfer them to a second Keyswitch only track so my melodic data is free of unnecessary stuff. That's really cool though. To transfer the notes to the relevant articulation track.

Reactions: EgM

chocobitz825

Cool idea to create macros for duplicating the notes and make keyswitches out of them.

Two things that came to my mind:

- Is it really the desired behaviour that more than one note will be created if you have selected multiple notes? Of course it would ensure that each note is played with the correct articulation... but I'd prefer to have just one keyswitch when the articulation should change. This can be easily done in the macro by using the "Merge Events" command.

- You currently use the Humanize command for moving the notes. There is a "Nudge back" command that will also do the job (but without a random offset). The amount depends on the current snap setting but I'd prefer that anyway (you could also call "Toogle Snap" with an argument to deactivate snap).

Fair points. Actually the goal was to allow for it to create multiple notes if I was selecting horizontally in the editor (for example same type of articulation in different measures). Otherwise, there’s no need to select multiple notes vertically since the keyswitch doesn't care what notes there are, so long as one note triggers the switch prior. You’d select a single starting note, rather than all the notes in that same bar/position (like full chords). This made it easier for me to scroll through notes with my keyboard with one hand and select macros with the other. It also helps that after setting the macro I believe studio one jumps toward the next notes, so it can be pretty fast. The only case where I thought i might need to highlight multiple notes for the macro was for velocity based switches, but in CSS's staccato options, it seems the velocity is not the notes themselves, but the velocity of the keyswitch, so in every application, you're either adjusting one trigger note, or the keyswitch note itself.

I started with the nudge back function but this actually created problems when I sometimes switched the current snap setting. You’re right, I could set it to disable the snap setting, but really the only thing a keyswitch needs is a few ms head start, and the humanize function gives just enough of that without conflicting with any other settings. Its just enough head start, without being intrusive, and it lets me keep the keyswitch note to a smaller size.

so I should have clarified the process:

To use it, you dont need to highlight multiple notes vertically. If you do it will create as many notes as you've highlighted, which is unnecessary. you just pick one reference note and then select your macro. So for ensemble parts, I normally just click on the root note, or which ever note is first in line, and select the relevant articulation macro. This works across an arrangement also, if you want. You can command click multiple notes across an arrangement and use the macro and it will set keyswitches under them all.

one warning: if you do not highlight a note in the arrangement, and click on the macro, it ends up applying the transpose to every note in the current midi event.

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer
Fair points. Actually the goal was to allow for it to create multiple notes if I was selecting horizontally in the editor (for example same type of articulation in different measures). Otherwise, there’s no need to select multiple notes vertically since the keyswitch doesn't care what notes there are, so long as one note triggers the switch prior.
Ah, right. Of course that makes sense!

Top Bottom