What's new

Anybody seen this yet: The Orchestra

MHO:
just grab a basic orch rhythm from menu. Grab the modwheel and take a ride.
after that go on composing your melodies over that and you have a great sounding piece.
Will i do this now every day?
Nope, but... sometimes!

as i said, its very inspirational.
And if they clean out all the minor bugs, make some more improvements, it will be a treasure chest for many years to come! (which it is right now already ;) )

(i am not associated or paid by them ;) )

well if i orchestrate manually i am also quite a "programmer" in a way ...
with "the orchestra" it's easier...
but i dont get everything, so i still have to put my creativity and all my musical knowledge in it.

I've heard this a few times now and it's what's stopping me pulling the trigger. Is the instant gratification of hitting a chord and having a preset motif play going to wear off, and we go back to working as we always have?

Are those "preset motiffs" editable? That'll determine its longevity no?

I have bought The Orchestra and can only agree with Oliver here. It doesn't write a melody for you. It doesn't decide the harmony/chord progressions for you. It doesn't write the transitions, percussion accents. You still need to know what you are doing.

It does increase your productivity by allowing you to create complex arrangements quickly, which is the goal of mockups, demos. And it allows you to do it quickly and rather easily. Hence the limited patches, mike position and the baked sound.

As demonstrated by the demos, in the hands of an experienced composer and orchestrator, The Orchestra can turn out professional quality music.

The instant gratification is also pure fun and I am already modifying the presets for my own purposes.

Last edited:
Are those "preset motiffs" editable? That'll determine its longevity no?

Sure, but I'm guessing its just as fast (and more flexible), by the time you edit 5 different instruments using the arps and envelopes, you might as well have used your daws piano roll and whatever libraries you want.

I haven't used it so I'm only going from what I've seen on walkthroughs. The presets look great, but how often am I going to want to stack brass with strings and have them play the same articulation choices / rhythm for any length of time? I don't know, it looks like it's pretty linear. I'd love to watch someone like DJ take a deeper look.

Sure, but I'm guessing its just as fast (and more flexible), by the time you edit 5 different instruments using the arps and envelopes, you might as well have used your daws piano roll and whatever libraries you want.

I haven't used it so I'm only going from what I've seen on walkthroughs. The presets look great, but how often am I going to want to stack brass with strings and have them play the same articulation choices / rhythm for any length of time? I don't know, it looks like it's pretty linear. I'd love to watch someone like DJ take a deeper look.

Yeah, I'm hoping for one of his 2 hour vids, picking it apart before going any further.

I have also bought The Orchestra and agree totally with Oliver and Eric G.
It is very good tool and very fun.
The most important point now is if #Sonuscore could implement the midi exportation from the plugs to be able to use it more as a sketching tool and be able to use the resulted midi output with other libs.

I did stick two presets where I completely changed the second one for a test and it worked just great. The presets are an easy way to start. You can start with a preset in any direction and change the triggered emotion easily.

Beside the "Orchestra" Ensemble Engine there are also many single instruments available for all sections of the orchestra, including Strings (Violin 1, Violin 2, Violas, Celli, Basses) Woods (Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Contrabassoon), Brass (Horns, Trumpets, Trombones, and Tuba & Bass Trombone), Percussion(Timpani, Tubular Bells, Cymbals, Gran Cassa, Snare Drum, Tam Tam, Piatti, Drum Ensemble,Taikos), Harp, and male & female choir.

You can combine those instruments in the main Orchestra Ensemble Engine patch, use many Orchestra Ensemble Engine-patches in combination and add in single patches with specific articulations. Really great

I did stick two presets where I completely changed the second one for a test and it worked just great. The presets are an easy way to start. You can start with a preset in any direction and change the triggered emotion easily.

Beside the "Orchestra" Ensemble Engine there are also many single instruments available for all sections of the orchestra, including Strings (Violin 1, Violin 2, Violas, Celli, Basses) Woods (Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Contrabassoon), Brass (Horns, Trumpets, Trombones, and Tuba & Bass Trombone), Percussion(Timpani, Tubular Bells, Cymbals, Gran Cassa, Snare Drum, Tam Tam, Piatti, Drum Ensemble,Taikos), Harp, and male & female choir.

You can combine those instruments in the main Orchestra Ensemble Engine patch, use many Orchestra Ensemble Engine-patches in combination and add in single patches with specific articulations. Really great

I'm thinking the vast majority of people would be purchasing this for the engine, rather than the standard articulations, kinda like Novo.

If @SONUSCORE would release a video of the engine features being used in 'real world' conditions, ie. melodic progression and structure, I would likely buy it in a heartbeat.

How do the individual instruments compare to, say, Hollywood Orchestra? Just dropped out of Composer Cloud and I'm lacking in modern takes on a sampled orchestra, so if the individual instruments are at least decent compared to the competition, this would be a must-buy for me.

Does this work? Can you run two versions on the same computer? And I'm wondering if they don't share the same System files, prefs etc. and wondering if that can cause problems?

On the Mac, I have developed a method of defending myself from 'fivesixeightophobia'. I installed 5.6.8, but then copied a prior version over from my laptop into the same folder. Now I can just click on whichever I want......

Thanks! TBH I don't really use that many articulations in my writing (I'm quite a beginner in writing for the orchestra) so it's probably enough for my current needs and the typical projects I'm working on. Have to watch through the vids again and wait for a couple more reviews.

What I find the coolest in this library is the multi patches. Use that, build a chord progression, write a melody with a legato patch.

Instant wow factor. I can't stop feeling giddy about this new library. I spent the whole day playing around and trying it out mixed with other libraries. Much of the time I'll solo out a few 'slots' to scale it back just a bit so it's not too busy or instrument heavy and it just sits well. With a little bit of piano roll midi adjusting I'm seeing that I don't really need programs like Action Strings or Emotive Strings anymore as this covers it. It's a very versatile library. I wish I would have had this a long time ago. It would have saved me a lot of money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom