What's new

An idea to address forum toxicity in VI-C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh for sure I get its not always that....nor is there often any toxicity heading in his direction either. Toxic attitudes tend to bubble up around certain catalysts. The most recent example being HZS. One can't suggest that any toxicity was only heading in one direction (that being towards HZ and Spitfire) when even the most basic of searches would show similar toxicity heading in the opposite direction to me as a person. Its not the forum that creates toxicity, its toxic people. Again it might not always be that way for him but one look at teh comments section shows its nothing to do with VI - its just VI has lots of people in the industry, toxic and not.

So yes while this or CH's communities are not usually toxic, you can see the exact thing he is complaining about in his own 'hubs' already. But as I was saying earlier he may not see things aimed at himself or his company as toxic. Which is why we need places like VI which has no dog in the fight so to speak and can curtail things when they get too bad in either direction.

-DJ

I agree 100% about VI-Control. A bit of ostensible toxicity here and there is vastly preferable to the totalitarian control that some well intentioned and nice people might prefer.

IMO the argument and cross examination that some dismiss as "toxicity", still actually often serves a legitimate and valuable purpose.

This points toward the value of generally maintaining freedom of ideas/expression as an ethical prerogative.

e. If you don't like a conversation/thread, don't read it... and for God's sake, don't participate in it.

You+are+right_ca3f23_6545268.jpg

A couple of thoughts:

1) How about, in addition to a 'like' button, a 'disagree ... but moving on' button?

I think in many cases it is felt that to not reply to critique or misrepresentation is to risk creating an impression that you've conceded the point.

2) Perhaps there could be a mechanism to flag a thread as teetering on the edge of descend into toxicity. Instead of taking it down, when someone navigates to it a such a thread, they might see a fullscreen:

'WARNING: moderators have flagged that this thread may not represent the community's ideals of 'musicians helping musicians' at their best. Do you still wish to proceed?"

In less extreme case, maybe require all posters to check a box reading "I have read and understand the ideal of 'musician helping musicians' of this forum. In more extreme cases perhaps a moderator could make it mandatory to watch a certain Britney Spears video before every post.

3) I wonder if it would be possible to build into the community standards a principle of:

'prioritize the substantive over the combative'

The problem with certain recent threads isn't that they were worthless and toxic, but rather that ~20% of the content actually was extremely valuable (not least, ~80% exchanges between Hans and Daniel). If it were merely toxic threads, I would have happily ignored it and thought no more about it. But there was really, really good stuff there.

(Although, if I might respectfully disagree with Daniel, I think that, on certain recent threads, if you take all the mean things people were saying about Daniel alone, then this absolutely falls into what I consider "toxic.")

I see a dynamic that contributes to creating these 'death spirals of combativeness' as going something like this:

Suppose someone says something with potential for, lets say, strong disagreement. You might reasonably expect to get, say, 5 responses and while 4 of them might be substantive, one will be inevitably be combative.

But it's the combative one - disproportionally - that gets responded to first, while all substantive ones get - disproportionately - ignored. Perhaps this is because reputation is the currency of the internet, or perhaps its something endemic to human discourse as a whole. But not only does it happen, but rewards people who write combatively in that they get responded to more often.

And there is clearly a dynamic where combative exchanges multiply more quickly that the substantive ones (And there's something like a principle of entropy at work here somewhere, in the sense that its always easier to burn a something down than to construct it).

So here is one place where I wonder if a 'disagree ... but moving on' button (or some similar mechanism) might mitigate the need for excessive defensive replies, and maybe even disincentivize combative posts in the first place.

The general principle underlying all of this is that by introducing a number of small speed bumps working to slow the dynamics of the 'death spiral of combativeness', you might, in aggregate, encourage a more substantive and less combative environment.

On most of the internet I'd say that such ideas are hopelessly naive. But as has been pointed out, this is *far* from the most toxic corner of the internet.

4) I'd also like to just put it out there that if you take a slightly more theoretical view of the nature of the medium we're talking about here, there's a good argument that given the dynamics of the evolution of the internet, we should expect that the pressures towards toxicity are only going intensify in the foreseeable future.

The war on toxicity in new media has been an arms race raging already for some decades. And it's an arms race that I'd argue, we, as a society, are collectively loosing rather badly.

So its worth taking the topic seriously. And there's a significant literature on the phenomenon throughout the disciplines of media studies, literary studies, interaction design, human computer interaction, sociology, social psychology - and I've even seen reference to work in psychiatry that sounds perfectly relevant our current situation.

For instance, a touch of media/literary theory: I've been trying to argue (although at too great a length for anyone to actually read, I do realize) that a significant part of the dynamic of recent death spirals comes not from any individual, but in misunderstandings and tensions emerging between the traditional 'forum discussion' and the inherently more chaotic medium of youtube videos.

I really think a lot of recent unpleasantness came from people on both sides interpreting content from one medium and/or genre through the social conventions of another.

5) New rule: @Rctec is allowed to call anyone he wants a twat. Personally, I'd love to be able to say Hans Zimmer called me a twat. I just don't see any downside in allowing this. I'd also like to extend the same courtesy to John Williams, if he happens to be around.

Personally, I'd love to be able to say Hans Zimmer called me a twat.

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

I'm going to assume you are. In which case, this is why "The Meanies" got away with firing snot rockets on people in the front row; idolatry giving celebs a free pass to be a dick.

Celebrities are people just like everyone else and should be held to the same standards. Because right now, somewhere...maybe it's Tom Cruise or Kate Beckinsale, they are taking a dump.

and I assure you, it too stinks.

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, but it's worth mentioning this one last time while I may have @Mike Greene's attention: I've been posting on music forums for over twenty years; and while VI-Control is less combative than most, it's not the most peaceful site in existence. In my experience, the best way to have a civil, yet engaging, discussion is a zero tolerance policy for ad hominem attacks.

Of course, I realize that requires a lot more moderation—especially at first before the people who enjoy name calling give up and leave—but in the end, you have a more welcoming site.
I hear you, but there's no way I could put together a moderation team to monitor the forum carefully enough to keep the forum free of nonsense. It's too big a job.

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

I'm going to assume you are. In which case, this is why "The Meanies" got away with firing snot rockets on people in the front row; idolatry giving celebs a free pass to be a dick.

Celebrities are people just like everyone else and should be held to the same standards. Because right now, somewhere...maybe it's Tom Cruise or Kate Beckinsale, they are taking a dump.

and I assure you, it too stinks.

Ok, wrong room, I get it.

I apologize if anyone really though I was seriously engaging in sloberingly mindless celebrity worship. I though it would be clear enough that this was a bit of silliness to lighten a post that is, this being the internet, already likely to be attacked as as over-long and over-serious.

Neither do I think that John Williams should ever be excused for going around randomly calling people twats just because of Star Wars.

And I complete agree that it would never, under any circumstance, be even the slightest bit funny to for anyone to be called a twat by Tom Cruise.

That said, I’m completely serious that I’d dearly love to be able to start a sentence in a pub some day with “Then there was this time that Hans Zimmer called me a twat...”

The problem with certain recent threads isn't that they were worthless and toxic, but rather that ~20% of the content actually was extremely valuable (not least, ~80% exchanges between Hans and Daniel).
5) New rule: @Rctec is allowed to call anyone he wants a twat. Personally, I'd love to be able to say Hans Zimmer called me a twat. I just don't see any downside in allowing this. I'd also like to extend the same courtesy to John Williams, if he happens to be around.

IMO, it is wonderful to have someone like HZ here, and I personally would indeed show someone like him a bit of deference. But if you make treating him extra nice, a "rule", then the conversation isn't free and real any more.

Now, if VI-Control wants to make a HZ subforum moderated by HZ, I would certainly read it, but it probably wouldn't ever generate the kind of dialog that we recently witnessed regarding HZ Strings, nor would it really be the most interesting source for info on the product in question.

I've seen many times where one person is making legitimate and important (but perhaps uncomfortable) points, whereas the other side makes the accusation that the discussion is "combative" or "counterproductive" (or maybe even "toxic") as a way of basically shutting down discussion/debate. IMO, in a modern and scientifically minded culture, we should all naturally appreciate the intrinsic value of actually testing things out.

As you point out, the recent cross examination of HZ Strings pulled out some excellent content from HZ himself (and others), but with various rules to detox VI-control, that content would probably have never happened.

So, IMO, we need less forum innovation and more human tolerance.

Your point has merit, but if I was actually a lifelong best friend of CH, I would actually still be in no position whatsoever to make a definitive claim about him being a "wonderful human"--no person one can actually know that about another person.

So clearly, I am, in fact, making a preposterously unsupportable claim as you rightly point out.

Nevertheless, I was making a rhetorical argument and IMO making the presumption of CH being a wonderful human is a reasonable starting point.

Some would question whether that last part was very realistic (especially in this few and far between era), however it's not a big deal and neither is calling CH wonderful.

I'm just a cynical old bastard who's barely able to pay the rent with his music. So don't listen to me.

It seems to me that spitfire and HZ strings are getting into every forum,almost feels like clever marketing, this thread included??????????

It might be. But only if you believe that all publicity is good publicity. Apart from the rather generous use of a word like "game-changer", I don't recall SF receiving such negative feedback in the past.

A couple of thoughts:
1) How about, in addition to a 'like' button, a 'disagree ... but moving on' button?

I think in many cases it is felt that to not reply to critique or misrepresentation is to risk creating an impression that you've conceded the point.

I don’t know if that’s a bad thing. Maybe I could just be content with my contributions and accept that some people will simply not agree with me. My ego is the only one worried about conceding a point.

A "disagree... but moving on" button seems like another way of trying to have the last word. The best way to move on is…... to just move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom