What's new

Adachi: Important update, 8Dio threatens reviewers and competing devs

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I ask what the process of the whole thing is like, the various attitudes and opinions make it impossible for me to see what happened in the whole thing. Can someone please briefly explain what's going on as I also own their library and would like to know more about this company???
Check from post 613 within this thread.
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/adachi-important-update-in-op.116094/post-5269516

And I think it "started" from this post:

Post in thread '8Dio Anthology $50 - Flash Sale'
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/8dio-anthology-50-flash-sale.134750/post-5269343

Edit: added link to the post in this thread.

Edit: And obviously the OP in this thread.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused - I never bought anything from this developer and don't plan to - but Cory's linked video is 5 yrs old if I'm looking at the right one. Did something else happen recently, or is it that this information is just now being discovered by more people?

What surprises me when I watch his walkthrough videos he really comes across as passionate and caring in a way. It is a bit hard to describe but the videos felt unscripted and genuine even though he is marketing a product he has created. However, hearing these accounts, I feel duped and naive.
I don't see a conflict between that and the stories.
People are complex creatures. Thankfully and unfortunately.
Actually most heinous criminals I've looked into so far through good ol true crime podcasts seemed to make a good impression or even an excellent one before being exposed.
Larry Nassar might be a good example.
Just a general comment on psychology and human nature. Not too quick to jump on any side regarding 8dio.

What surprises me when I watch his walkthrough videos he really comes across as passionate and caring in a way. It is a bit hard to describe but the videos felt unscripted and genuine even though he is marketing a product he has created.

They often go together: self-belief can be a powerful drug. When you get to threatening people because they question something you’re passionate about, that’s where it turns into a drug problem.

I understand what you're saying and i'm still at this point conflicted. We all most likely buy products on a day to day basis and if we knew how they were sourced and created from beginning to end and who was harmed during the process, we may end up not buying anything :). Also, i'm not usually one that likes joining a parade of pitchforks until I've seen enough evidence about what has happened.

For me, it's a personal threshold of what seems to be repeated obvious wrongdoing and a choice to spend my money elsewhere. I still plan on using the 8DIO products I have as I can't get a refund and it helps nobody at this point by sinking my entire investment to make a further statement.

But I can decide where my future money and recommendations go at least for the time being. It shouldn't be much to ask out of all the businesses that exists that sample library developers can both make great products and treat people like human beings.
Agree.

We each have to draw our own lines in the sand on this one.

Isn’t it odd they stopped big releases a few years ago ?

I did hear rumors that a the whole 8Dio walked out during the pandemic.

This thread makes that a lot more interesting.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression all their efforts moved to Soundpaint?
They claim that they're keeping 8Dio developing... But they said they were going to release dozens of libraries last year literally said that. And at the best we just got a few ports from their exclusive branch...

And a lot of these soundpaint libraries are ports in themselves as well!

This company there's some stuff to love like really love and other things I just roll my eyes!

Feel free to open any of 8Dio's manuals and search for any of the team members. All of them gone.
Might be why they put their stuff out for 15-50 $. Closing up shop, but in the sample biz it might just be a never ending 80% off sale running to get som cash flow.

Might be why they put their stuff out for 15-50 $. Closing up shop, but in the sample biz it might just be a never ending 80% off sale running to get som cash flow.
Could be what happened in every single Industry post pandemic in the great resignation. Seems a lot of speculation to me.

I think it is better not to absolutely determine right and wrong before the person concerned comes out to explain. A ball has more than one face, and a problem has more than one face.

I think it is better not to absolutely determine right and wrong before the person concerned comes out to explain. A ball has more than one face, and a problem has more than one face.
That's too simple. It's not like this behavior (and others) is new. There have been opportunities.

Wanted to buy Anthology Strings on recent sale to get Adachi, but reading all this I stopped and I'm glad my GAS was cured, even though it was a steal at that price. I'm big fan of Cory's reviews and TSS/TSD :)
Same here! And it was a good opportunity to explore the string libraries I already have!

What are they going to “explain”? “We made at least several empty threats to sue for libel without grounds but we’re nice really”?

Short of claiming it never happened (which would be interesting given that several people have reported the behaviour independently), the only open path is one of an apology and promising not to do it again - and directly to the people affected. The only saving grace is that the threats were empty and 8Dio didn’t go Full Behringer.

Yeah, I'm very sad reading all of this. But I also can't help feeling that a death spiral of rumour and innuendo isn't going to be very helpful to anyone.

And note also that Sarah isn't calling for a boycott, just sharing her (very negative) experience. And I suppose she's explicitly withdrawing any implicit endorsement that Adachi was being perceived as offering - and recall that it was a reference on another thread to Sarah as a kind of marketing agent that sparked her to, very reasonably, reiterate this clarification.

Anyway, these accounts negative experiences that people are sharing are to be respected (and remembered). But I think a thread that goes down a rabbit hole of rumour and innuendo outside of these first hand accounts of personal experience really doesn't benefit anyone. Nor is is a helpful form of solidarity with the people sharing these accounts.

A better form of solidarity, it seems to me, is to continue to respect and support (and enthuse about) the entirely brilliant work that the likes of Sarah, Anne, Corey and Mario keep doing, entirely undeterred.

Last edited:
What are they going to “explain”? “We made at least several empty threats to sue for libel without grounds but we’re nice really”?

Short of claiming it never happened (which would be interesting given that several people have reported the behaviour independently), the only open path is one of an apology and promising not to do it again - and directly to the people affected. The only saving grace is that the threats were empty and 8Dio didn’t go Full Behringer.
I also think unreasonable threats are wrong and should give her an apology

Yeah, I'm very sad reading all of this. But I also can't help feeling that a death spiral of rumour and innuendo isn't going to be very helpful to anyone.

And note also that Sarah isn't calling for a boycott, just sharing her (very negative) experience. And I suppose she's explicitly withdrawing any implicit endorsement that Adachi was being perceived as offering - and recall that it was a reference on another thread to Sarah as a kind of marketing agent that sparked her to, very reasonably, reiterate this clarification.

Anyway, these accounts negative experiences that people are sharing are to be respected (and remembered). But I think a thread that goes down a rabbit hole of rumour and innuendo outside of these first hand accounts of personal experience really doesn't benefit anyone. Nor is is a helpful form of solidarity with the people sharing these accounts.

A better form of solidarity, it seems to me, is to continue to respect and support (and enthuse about) the entirely brilliant work that the likes of Sarah, Anne, Corey and Mario keep doing, entirely undeterred.
I mean, I pretty strongly feel that no one should be rewarding what was done to Cory and Mario, but I guess it's hard to maintain a stance like that around here when faced with the usual mantra of "you should buy everything".

I mean, I pretty strongly feel that no one should be rewarding what was done to Cory and Mario, but I guess it's hard to maintain a stance like that around here when faced with the usual mantra of "you should buy everything".
For me it's rather about the fact that the producers of the libraries (probably often not Troels and or T.... don't remember the exact name haha) will be more affected by a boycott than the overlords.
Even if I have a problem with the boss of a company, I think they'd have to do much worse than what was mentioned here for me to also drag the works down.
Same with the Spitfire / Christian subject. Regardless of what ones stance is - the libraries tend to be produced by other people who have nothing to do with the situation.
So they'd be dragged down by a boycott much harder than the (most likely) filthy rich overlords.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom