What's new

88 Key Midi Controller with Piano-like keys

It's a good choice. My current MIDI controller does have regular aftertouch, but once I upgrade to RD-2000, I won't have it, so Rise 49 seems like a great thing to do then. I'm still not sure if I'm going to sell my PC3K8 or not... I love some things it can do (most importantly, it's actually a much better MIDI master controller than RD-2000!)... might downgrade it to PC3K6 to also have a synth weighted action, even though I also have S49 mkII... decisions, decisions.

What a pity I did not come across this forum earlier! I was just on a journey to find an 88 key MIDI controller online (where I live, no music stores) and ended up with a Nektar LX88+. Value for money, no doubt. Piano-like? Definitely not. For a Rachmaninov piece or some barking Rhodes you do have to dig in (and, thankfully, the board allows it - but have a good support underneath :cool:), and although there are 4 velocity curves to chose from they are all some form of compromise in my view.

From a humble hobby pianist's perspective: I think it's challenging to find the right keybed for one's taste and playing style that also best suits the various virtual emulations available, subject to adjusting / tweaking velocity curves of both board and software. Workstations / stage pianos are more convenient in this regard, but then who wants to be stuck with inbuilt sounds only (however good they may be).

All in all the Nektar LX88+ is definitely not 'piano like' to play, but a great compromise for: 1. playability across different sound categories 2. portability 3. DAW integration & configurability, and 4. footprint.

Anyone here use the Doepfer LMK+ series? If so how do you like them?
I had an LMK2+, but the older (i.e. non-USB, non-GH TP/40) version. Bare bones, rock solid, excellent action (could be described as rather heavy, but was great for proper & nuanced piano playing).

On 88 keys weighted keyboards, I think that you have to press hard for the Aftertouch to turn on. And when one is in a high level of pressure necessary to the activation one does not have enough force to well modulate the effect (tested on S80).

I never tried an S80, but definitely not on my Keylab 88.

I went to the local music store and they had an RD-2000. Tried it out of course. I guess it really is all that after all. At least the FP-90 is cheaper and the same keybed.

I hardly had to raise those keys at all before they could be played again. I couldn't try hands on an Arturia Keylab 88 or Kontrol 88 but, feels like it'd be an apples to oranges comparison anyway. You probably can't raise a key up just a bit and hit it again with them can you?

Both Keylab and Kontrol have double sensor keybeds so no, you cannot do that same thing as on RD-2000/FP-90 which have a triple sensor keybed.

Did you try the Casio PX-5S? It also has a triple sensor keybed (but likely calibrated quite differently compared to Roland), if you're looking for a more affordable option?

They had some Casios but I didn't try them, childhood trauma from those cheapie toy keyboards has turned me off the brand. A little unfair I'm sure. :)

They had Yamaha MX88BK and some cheaper Yamaha's I tried though. Not a bad feel.

Thing is.. I don't want to settle. I want to get one and be done. Though that's mostly just a feeling.. not a reality. I can wait a bit more. . .

Yeah, you should get over that trauma. PX-5S is a very VERY good board for the money, and weight of the whole unit is kinda amazing.

What a pity I did not come across this forum earlier! I was just on a journey to find an 88 key MIDI controller online (where I live, no music stores) and ended up with a Nektar LX88+. Value for money, no doubt. Piano-like? Definitely not. For a Rachmaninov piece or some barking Rhodes you do have to dig in (and, thankfully, the board allows it - but have a good support underneath :cool:), and although there are 4 velocity curves to chose from they are all some form of compromise in my view.

You probably know that the velocity curve depends almost as much on the receiving instrument as on the controller. And I only say "almost" because instruments tend to be mapped to standard controllers.

But the velocity curve shouldn't be an obstacle, because there are lots of programs that let you tweak and create your own. Most DAWs have that built in, for example; it's just a matter of offsetting each incoming velocity value by the amount you want. (Thankfully you can generally get onscreen curves rather than going in and tweaking each MIDI velocity value by hand!)

It's really the feel of the keyboard that's most important. Of course the velocity curve affects the way the keyboard feels, but you can't really adjust the keys' weight and action in software.

Workstations / stage pianos are more convenient in this regard, but then who wants to be stuck with inbuilt sounds only (however good they may be).

You do know that you're not stuck with them, right? They all have MIDI out, so you can use them to play the best sampled piano libraries and everything else.

Sorry if I'm taking your post too literally and you know all this. Just wanted to make sure...

ED Thanks for clueing me in on the handling of the RD-2000 & FP-90. I figure I'll make an order for an FP-90 shortly.

You should be very happy. My FP-90 arrived in the mail the other day. The feel is great, key expressiveness what I wanted. :) And it looks great too, a fine white one with three pedal board and all.

It's a good choice. My current MIDI controller does have regular aftertouch, but once I upgrade to RD-2000, I won't have it, so Rise 49 seems like a great thing to do then. I'm still not sure if I'm going to sell my PC3K8 or not... I love some things it can do (most importantly, it's actually a much better MIDI master controller than RD-2000!)... might downgrade it to PC3K6 to also have a synth weighted action, even though I also have S49 mkII... decisions, decisions.
I used one of those and found the synth action way too stiff. I bought a used PC3x 8 years ago and it's the longest I've ever held onto my master keyboard since my Roland U20 that I used from 1990 to 1999.

Now I've been looking again for something like the new Korg D05 or the Roland A88...it's time for a change and I hear the action on the Roland is very nice

Top Bottom