What's new

88 Key Midi Controller with Piano-like keys

Just got off the phone with Sweetwater and ordered a Roland A-88. It may not be the perfect action, but I feel it is a safe choice and I have yet to find any discussion on the various forums or youtube about issues or keybed problems (noise). I plan on trying a spare iPad I have with TouchOSC for CC control, and if that isn't to my liking, I'll pick up an X-Touch Compact.

Strings were "my instrument", not piano, so I'm not a virtuoso keyboard player by a long shot. The A-88 action will be 1000% better than what I currently use and the compact size is handy for my upcoming DIY desk project.

also because I ran across some traffic on a couple piano forums where several RD-2000 owners had to have the keybeds replaced under warranty for noise issues that appeared shortly after purchase.

Several users vs hundreds upon hundreds of sold already that are extremely likely working just fine. My assurance did not waver in light of that information. :D

Several users vs hundreds upon hundreds of sold already that are extremely likely working just fine. My assurance did not waver in light of that information. :D

I know - that wasn't the main reason I passed. Given my keyboard skills and complete lack of need for any on-board sounds, I just couldn't see paying the $1400 premium over the A-88. I think it is a great keyboard, and if I were gigging and/or didin't already own Keyscape (EP's), Ivory ACD, Garritan CFX, Galaxy Vintage D, Ravenscroft 275 & Imperfect Samples Walnut Steinway, I might feel differently. The size of the A-88 was also a plus.

I know - that wasn't the main reason I passed. Given my keyboard skills and complete lack of need for any on-board sounds, I just couldn't see paying the $1400 premium over the A-88. I think it is a great keyboard, and if I were gigging and/or didin't already own Keyscape (EP's), Ivory ACD, Garritan CFX, Galaxy Vintage D, Ravenscroft 275 & Imperfect Samples Walnut Steinway, I might feel differently. The size of the A-88 was also a plus.

I think about buy an A88 too. Please, send us your first impress about A88 keybed, touch feel, quiet .. Satisfied or not.

Just a thought, I know SL88 gets no love here but anything about Orla? They are quite affordable and I haven't found anything regarding keybed type but they are also Italian (like Fatar).

I think about buy an A88 too. Please, send us your first impress about A88 keybed, touch feel, quiet .. Satisfied or not.

OK - A-88 came finally (6:00PM!) and I have it setup and playing. First, a shoutout to Sweetwater on packing. It was double boxed, Fedex Ground didn't mangle the box and the interior Roland box and packing was flawless - always a concern when shipping something 1000+ miles that weighs 50-60 lbs in the box.

Also need to figure out what the deal is with my M-Audio damper pedal I was using - doesn't work with the A-88 although the included Roland DP-10 worked fine the minute I plugged it in the same pedal jack. I also am not sure what the point of the Roland USB driver is - it's not like this thing has USB audio or something. I guess a call to Roland and/or Sweetwater might be in order tomorrow to get to the bottom of that.

Physically, I think the keyboard is plain but pretty classy looking. The quality is typical of what I remember of higher-end Roland stuff from 20-30 years ago. All of the keys are the same height and the gaps between keys are very, very close to perfect (a few spacing irregularities but we are talking ultra picky here). The Ivory Feel surface texture is quite nice on both the white and black keys - actually the white keys surface feel is nicer than our Kawai studio upright acoustic.

Granted the unit is brand new, but the keybed is mechanically pretty quiet. The white keys have a very muted thud and a faint higher pitched component - the black keys seem even quieter. Frankly, our acoustic Kawai makes more mechanical noise than this thing. It doesn't strike me as much louder than the RD-2000 I played (also new out of the box).

The keybed feel is very nice. Travel is between the RD-800 I played (quite long) and the RD-2000 and Yamaha Montage (shorter than I expected). I would say the key travel is slightly less than out Kawai acoustic. Not mushy at the bottom, but not jarring. I think the keyboard has excellent repetition (it clearly behaves like a triple sensor keyboard IMHO). The rebound action is just a hair on the slow side but feels more "normal" to me than the RD-800 I played. Overall I would say the action is a touch on the heavy side (think Baldwin, not Yamaha) although I have no problem playing fast on it. Bear in mind I am a very average pianist, so that may not be saying much.

It feels a lot more like our Kawai acoustic than I expected. The biggest difference seems to be the escapement response. The real piano has a little more "over center" obvious escapement than the A-88.

The RD-2000 is clearly a "faster" feeling keyboard, although I was not convinced it felt all that much like a real piano when I played it. I'm sure ED will argue that (and he may be right - it has been a very long time since I played on a good full grand). The RD-800 felt really weird to me and I clearly prefer the A-88 (heresy!). The Montage was like a slightly harder playing RD-2000 as I recall.

Overall, I'm really pleased with this and I can see why Eric @ Spectrasonics is so enamored of these keyboards. I'm sure he could afford to use whatever he wanted to as controllers, but this doesn't feel worse than the high end Roland stage pianos, just a little different.

The joystick sucks for CC1 and the price is a bit steep for how basic it is, but the size/form factor is nice (low profile and narrow depth) and the keybed is excellent. I just need to settle on a velocity curve (I'm using 1 - LIGHT at the moment. Default is 2).

OK - A-88 came finally (6:00PM!) and I have it setup and playing. First, a shoutout to Sweetwater on packing. It was double boxed, Fedex Ground didn't mangle the box and the interior Roland box and packing was flawless - always a concern when shipping something 1000+ miles that weighs 50-60 lbs in the box.

Thanks a lot for your return

https://digitalpianobestreview.com/2014/07/18/comparison-of-keyboard-actions-of-roland-kawai-yamaha-gh3-pha-gf-rm/

do you agree ?

※、☆>◎>上>○>△、

key-5-fix.jpg

Hi,
I received my A88. Here my first impress :
- Keybed quite silent. Mechanic keys three times less noisy compared to that of my old Yamaha S80. I think it almost like a GH Yahama keybed for this.
- Keys quite heavy, more than my old S80. It's less plastic. The appearance of the Key material is matte, not shiny. Like a real acoustic piano keyboard. The keys are covered with a species of synthetic shell that gives them this particular grain.
- The return of the keys is slower with a small rebound. But that feel more like a natural mechanic. The spring is less metalic and less tense. But in case of trill or fast replay, the key will be replayed more mid-race and therefore less dynamic.
- I like the 'escapement' emulation with a slight 'clicking' feeling on key when i play pianissimo.

I added a Korg NanoKontrol 2 to this Good Keyboard to have more knobs controler to modify in real time the vst instruments sound parameters (FM8)

Bye

Test installation :
upload_2017-10-28_12-6-43.png

Yamaha CP300 has always had the best feel/action to me. It bulky and heavy, but the graded weighted action feels great. I think the high end Yamaha’s CPs are all a good bet.

Last edited:
I have purchased a few months ago a Yamaha CP4 stage piano and I can confirm that the action is excellent. I did try a lot of stage piano and master keyboards before settling on the CP4. Unfortunately keyboard action is a very personal thing and what works well for someone may not work for another... Testing is key ;) Cheers, Max

I have followed this thread with interest and wanted to share my own experience in case others find themselves in a similar position. I have been looking to consolidate my yamaha p-95 (which I never really enjoyed playing) and a necktar LK61+ into a single unit. I looked for months and being in hong kong I could never try everything i wanted (no native instruments, studio logic or doepfer keyboards for example). At first I was most interested in the roland a-88 or fp-30s as space is an issue in my room...but then i actually played one. Don't think I could ever get used to the initial resistance on those keys...pretty disappointed especially after finding a cheap one second hand. The roland RD2000 though was lovely, the best I tried but overspec'd for my own needs. The yamaha cp-4 was also very good but too big. I was about to get a yamaha p-115 as the key bed has improved from the p-95, when the guy in the shop suggested I tried some of the casios. I had a bad experience 10 years ago with casio and would never have tried one but in the end... I bought the casio PX-160 after playing it for just a few minutes. I am quite delighted with it. The key action and feel is lovely (same as a few of more expensive casio models i understand) - it's on the light side but very similar to pianos I've played. It's compact, has speakers and came with a triple pedal/stand. Had it for a few weeks now, and I play more piano now than ever before. Although i didn't manage to get everything into one keyboard I am super happy I found the px-160. Cheers

Been following this thread hoping to find something to upgrade to from my Arturia Keylab 88. It is decent, but I wonder what could be better. Though I have a big limitation, and that is the height needs to be same as the Arturia Keylab 88 (which is 4.25"). Anything out there with better action (my most coveted need) and a height equal to or less than 4.25"?

Been following this thread hoping to find something to upgrade to from my Arturia Keylab 88. It is decent, but I wonder what could be better. Though I have a big limitation, and that is the height needs to be same as the Arturia Keylab 88 (which is 4.25"). Anything out there with better action (my most coveted need) and a height equal to or less than 4.25"?

Height is a big problem with hammer action keyboards.

I have a Yamaha P155 which I'm happy with, but it's too tall to be installed over my legs in front of my DAW and keep a comfortable position with the keyboard and mouse.

The Doepfer master keyboards seem to be the best option with no knobs/faders on the top but damn they are not cheap. The PK88 with 11cm of height seems to be the most affordable but I'd like the LMK4 with 10cm of height. Since I already have my P155 and I'm a hobyyist I can't really justify spending 1500-2000 USD on another weighted keyboard.

I will probably end up buying a semi-weighted 88 keys controller and move away from the computer to use the nice keys.

Height is a big problem with hammer action keyboards.

Yup, I figured as much. Thought I'd ask here and see if anyone knew of options! Appreciate the reply.

The Doepfer master keyboards seem to be the best option with no knobs/faders on the top but damn they are not cheap. The PK88 with 11cm of height seems to be the most affordable but I'd like the LMK4 with 10cm of height. Since I already have my P155 and I'm a hobyyist I can't really justify spending 1500-2000 USD on another weighted keyboard.

Those might work. The maximum height I can allow is 10.8cm (or 4.25"). On their website, Doepfer says the their height is 10.5cm/4.13" without ball corners, but 12cm/4.72" with the ball corners (and all keyboards/cases come with ball corners).

I don't know these keyboards so I'm confused if the keyboard can be removed from its case; I'm assuming not?

Also, do the ball corners add height (the extra 1.5cm) equally at both the bottom and top of the keyboard/case?

I have purchased a few months ago a Yamaha CP4 stage piano and I can confirm that the action is excellent. I did try a lot of stage piano and master keyboards before settling on the CP4. Unfortunately keyboard action is a very personal thing and what works well for someone may not work for another... Testing is key ;) Cheers, Max

I can also vouch for the CP4. I've tried a lot of controllers and stage pianos, and this one has been my favorite by far. It's a joy to own and play.

I can also vouch for the CP4. I've tried a lot of controllers and stage pianos, and this one has been my favorite by far. It's a joy to own and play.
Here is my CP4 built into my desk - I had the builder take into account the feet on the bottom of the board along with its height so that when I sit at it its at the perfect height to play...The computer mouse and keyboard are at desk height so there is no difference from sitting at a normal computer desk.
IMG_4357.JPG

It's a good idea the removable transparent plate
Your knees easily pass under?

Here is my CP4 built into my desk - I had the builder take into account the feet on the bottom of the board along with its height so that when I sit at it its at the perfect height to play...The computer mouse and keyboard are at desk height so there is no difference from sitting at a normal computer desk.

Top Bottom