What's new

5.6 announced

Lindon

VST/AU Developer
With these new features:

KONTAKT 5.6 – AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 2016
  • The user interface has received a major update, bringing it line with the latest NI designs.
  • A fully customizable XY Pad can now be added to user interfaces built with KSP.
  • Developers can now maintain precision even in use-cases involving complex math, with the introduction of a new variable type for real numbers.
  • Going hand in hand with the introduction of real numbers, a library of advanced math functions has been introduced. Trigonometric functions, logarithms, exponential functions, etc., will allow for more easily readable code and lower memory footprint.
  • Maximum width of instruments raised to 1000 pixels and maximum height to 750 pixels.
  • New command to set an instrument’s color, including its header.

Say hello to much more efficient math calculations with leaner code because a LOT of functions from Big Bob's math lib have effectively been deprecated. :)

Assuming this is the new 5.6 UI. No idea why they aren't updating the header UI of the patch itself. Still some inconsistencies in their design.

img-ce-kontakt_overview_01_the_industry-standard_sampler-94d352d2ac927a5d2075109809905997-d.jpg

i hope that they've updated the file browser which, in my opinion, is the most ugly part (at least on Mac with the ancient mini font and the blurred bigger one). i'm fine with the interface of most newer libraries.

There were complications.

i hope that they've updated the file browser which, in my opinion, is the most ugly part (at least on Mac with the ancient mini font and the blurred bigger one). i'm fine with the interface of most newer libraries.

It's still the same, but there's a backlash among senior beta testers. We'll see what happens before official release...

Although, did you know that the Files browser becomes a LOT better if you enable the "Large fonts" option in Options->Interface?

(The backlash among the betas was because this option was removed in 5.6.)

Although, did you know that the Files browser becomes a LOT better if you enable the "Large fonts" option in Options->Interface?
yeah. it improves the experience from "ridiculous" to "bearable" ;) - on a more serious note: I sometimes wonder if NI doesn't care so much about the browser because they want developers to encrypt their libraries. working with products like SF BML most will find out sooner than later than browsing is a mess and snapshots don't help because they like to break due to their static links among other problems. Kontakt is such a great product but this particular part needs attention.
and yes, i'm barking up the wrong tree ...

Last edited:
Considering math functions, does this update make changes to core in such a way that older libraries get real benefit on either memory footprint or CPU efficiency?

yeah. it improves the experience from "ridiculous" to "bearable" ;) - on a more serious note: I sometimes wonder if NI doesn't care so much about the browser because they want developers to encrypt their libraries. working with products like SF BML most will find out sooner than later than browsing is a mess and snapshots don't help because they like to break due to their static links among other problems. Kontakt is such a great product but this particular part needs attention.
and yes, i'm barking up the wrong tree ...

+1, Marc.

Top Bottom