What's new

3 weeks of this kind of music

Well done Mads, there are some really nice moments in here. Reminds me of Gaelic music a lot at times, and the melody sounds really sincere.

The things would probably think about amending:
That initial cymbal I would probably opt for a softer sounding one (one that goes shhhhhhhhhhhh rather than Ratatat) and a little quieter, the rhythm when the male vocals came in threw me a bit. You could fix that by having the piano play that rhythm on first run through underneath the melody, then it wouldn`t be so much of a surprise, or have the male vocals chanting the same rhythm as the piano is now. The melody on first run through gets a little buried in the mix at times and I would like to hear it a little louder.

Thanks for posting!
Thanx for feedback. I will try to fix this. I am inspired by your feedback, so Maybe foolish to name the song Inside (final edition) It's never final edition in this game is it?

I tried to fix the cymbals @Smikes77 .

Hey Mads, that's much better! For the very first one, try for a longer and calmer cymbal swell as the melody is slow it might sound more appropriate, and turn it down in the mix. The only other thing I would suggest is to make sure the cymbal peaks line up with the correct beat of the bar you want them on. An easy way to do this is to export the cymbals as wavs and then line them up visually if its too tedious to do by ear. I think the second swell sounds a little early to me for example, perhaps the peak of the swell should line up with the string melody (first beat of the bar)?

Headed in the right direction...

I am in my 4th week of composing now.

Trying to make some epic filmmusic...

Constructive feedback needed! :)

(And Yes I have been watching both Mike Verta and Daniel James videos the last week!)

Last edited:
Hey Mads! Good to see you continuing to post tracks here. The Final v2 of the Inside sounded good. It was heartening to hear you improving it over time, and I think you did a very good job with it. There's still a bit of polishing to do (eg. the Male choir has still got some timing issues), but I think it's served its purpose for you. I'm pleased you also took Adam's advice (even if given a bit gruffly), it is good advice and there is a lot I've learnt from Mike and Daniel Jame's videos. I like how Mike sometimes introduces his own early tracks and critiques his own work. :)

For Fractions, I think really the mixing of the track is what you could concentrate on (it's the mixing/layering where pretty much all hybrid or "Epic" tracks require the most effort). For example some of the cymbals are very loud - these should be an easy fix. At the 0:45 mark you have some lower brass which we can hardly hear, so the string ostinatos sound odd without the brass support. Bring that up a lot in volume to add some interest there and I think it would work better. Plus I think you could watch a bit the chords you are using for the different instruments... it sounds a bit like the string ostinatos are clashing sometimes with notes other instruments are playing, and so you could vary the ostinato to match the other instruments' chords/key they are playing in.

Otherwise, great stuff and well done for an Epic piece! :)

Hey Mads! Good to see you continuing to post tracks here. The Final v2 of the Inside sounded good. It was heartening to hear you improving it over time, and I think you did a very good job with it. There's still a bit of polishing to do (eg. the Male choir has still got some timing issues), but I think it's served its purpose for you. I'm pleased you also took Adam's advice (even if given a bit gruffly), it is good advice and there is a lot I've learnt from Mike and Daniel Jame's videos. I like how Mike sometimes introduces his own early tracks and critiques his own work. :)

For Fractions, I think really the mixing of the track is what you could concentrate on (it's the mixing/layering where pretty much all hybrid or "Epic" tracks require the most effort). For example some of the cymbals are very loud - these should be an easy fix. At the 0:45 mark you have some lower brass which we can hardly hear, so the string ostinatos sound odd without the brass support. Bring that up a lot in volume to add some interest there and I think it would work better. Plus I think you could watch a bit the chords you are using for the different instruments... it sounds a bit like the string ostinatos are clashing sometimes with notes other instruments are playing, and so you could vary the ostinato to match the other instruments' chords/key they are playing in.

Otherwise, great stuff and well done for an Epic piece! :)

Thank you very much for your "review". I agree with your comments and will try to correct the things you mentioned.

By the way I would be pleased if you listen to my last track as well:

Top Bottom