What's new

3 weeks of this kind of music

AdamAlake

Music Person
Well I am not interested in having a teaching career, neither am I saying you have to be "brutal". Little by little might be easier to digest, yet who says it has to be easy to digest? When you put your thing out there and get discoured by the result, that is your own responsibility and nobody else's.

When a parent tells their kid their artwork is the worst thing ever - that is where problems begin. But this is hardly the case, we are all adults here (I hope).

Smikes77

My Avatar looks just like me
Well I am not interested in having a teaching career, neither am I saying you have to be "brutal". Little by little might be easier to digest, yet who says it has to be easy to digest? When you put your thing out there and get discoured by the result, that is your own responsibility and nobody else's.

When a parent tells their kid their artwork is the worst thing ever - that is where problems begin. But this is hardly the case, we are all adults here (I hope).

Didn`t say you were interested in a teaching career, but you were trying to teach him to be better. He was quite clearly discouraged by your initial comments and perhaps you could have delivered it more effectively. Developing thick skin also takes time, and a beginner at an instrument (adult or otherwise), are not told they have so much to learn, or they probably wouldn`t pick it up again.

AdamAlake

Music Person
First off, I entered this thread with acknowledging that Mads is new to composition and pointing him towards an excellent resource for learning the gripes of it. He then asked me to describe what I deemed wrong with it, so I listed what I perceive to be the flaws in a purely informative manner with absolutely no interpersonal negativity.

If that seems heinous to someone, that is their problem. This is the internet and all it takes is to avert your gaze to ignore someone.

Developing a thick skin indeed takes time, but it is not in any way exclusive to music, it is a skill you work at from the beginning of your life, and as a dude who is amongst the younger members around here, I see no issues with assuming a decent amount of mental fortitude in others.

And of course, a beginner would often not be told they have much to learn, as it is fairly obvious.

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Please listen and comment if you want to.

I have made this type of music in 3 weeks now.

Hi Mads,
I have a similar approach with composing music and my graphic design work: Form a strong idea before I turn to the computer. In design work, that often means working with a pencil and sketch pad to quickly put down concepts or ideas (i.e, a logo design or layout for an ad). In music, an acoustic piano or keyboard with a piano sound, to again explore & consolidate a strong idea before jumping into a DAW and working with multi tracks/voices. This gives me a clearer direction to begin with, I waste less time, and more often than not, the result is a solid and cohesive piece of work. In graphic design terms, develop your line-work before you get out your coloured pencils :)

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
As a follow up to my previous post, I can hear you have a talent for music Mads, and I'd encourage you to continue developing your ideas and expanding your skills. VI Control is a wonderful resource to listen and learn from some very talented musicians/composers, who are often very generous with their time and advice.

Johann F.

Mads you have some strong melodic motifs going on here, I didn't find hard at all to lock on to your ideas. Theory can be a great analytical and organization tool which should be used after you already know how to write compelling music. And I think you have what it takes to write memorable and melodic driven music.

I like Alexander's suggestion of writing short pieces focusing on things you need to improve. That's a great exercise. Transcribing is another invaluable tool. Pick a few cues you like and transcribe them as best you can on your own. Internalize what you learn and apply your new acquired skills on your next pieces.

And you know what's funny about the "brutal honesty" thing? Quite often the ones giving such harsh feedback are the ones who should listen to their own words. Especially over the internet, this place is plagued with people who can't do what they preach about. So don't take every single word you read here for granted.

Ultraxenon

For most people constructive feedback with positive laungauge works best. After just 3 weeks of composing its no need to be harsh, but rather constructive and motivating.
I agree with the resources was suggested for Mads, this is a very good way to learn together with Evenant courses and Daniel James's youtube videos. You have the melodies and the drive to make som really good compositions Mads! Keep going!

Smikes77

The emotive power of brutal criticism is quite efficient imho (and I had plenty when I started out). It leads either to rapid improvement or to stagnating denial.

Other factors come into play here.

1. The source and credibility of the brutal criticism. You can`t just assume it`s coming from an expert.
2. I have seen it seriously discourage talented people who are starting out before they have even had a chance to grow a even a little.
3. Some people have the ability to delivery the criticism with charm. Others do not.

OP
Mads Skønberg

Mads Skønberg

I has been working as a teacher for driving before, and I know that critique has to be formed so it gives the receiver motivation to be better.

Enough said about critique. I am still working at the song:

Last edited:

fritzmartinbass

As a follow up to my previous post, I can hear you have a talent for music Mads, and I'd encourage you to continue developing your ideas and expanding your skills. VI Control is a wonderful resource to listen and learn from some very talented musicians/composers, who are often very generous with their time and advice.

This is a beautiful post! Keep working Mads, until YOU are happy with your piece.

gtrwll

Reading the comments before listening, I half expected to hear something awful, you know, with no dynamics at all or something like that. But this was clearly not the case.

Really like the atmosphere on the beginning, but when the male choir staccatos kicks in I think it kinda loses the rhythm of the track. Is it a sample library or a loop? It sounds a bit like the timing of the shouts is off, so I think you should double-check on those. The melodies could be stronger here and there, but that will come with time and experience.

3 weeks composing this kind of music? Keep on working man, you're off to a good start!

OP
Mads Skønberg

Mads Skønberg

Reading the comments before listening, I half expected to hear something awful, you know, with no dynamics at all or something like that. But this was clearly not the case.

Really like the atmosphere on the beginning, but when the male choir staccatos kicks in I think it kinda loses the rhythm of the track. Is it a sample library or a loop? It sounds a bit like the timing of the shouts is off, so I think you should double-check on those. The melodies could be stronger here and there, but that will come with time and experience.

3 weeks composing this kind of music? Keep on working man, you're off to a good start!

Thanx! And I agree, there is something wrong with the choir (Mars). It is off timing. Have to fix:)

OP
Mads Skønberg

Mads Skønberg

I consider my self finished with this song now, after about 15 hours working with it. Hope some of it is good:)

Smikes77

Well done Mads, there are some really nice moments in here. Reminds me of Gaelic music a lot at times, and the melody sounds really sincere.

The things would probably think about amending:
That initial cymbal I would probably opt for a softer sounding one (one that goes shhhhhhhhhhhh rather than Ratatat) and a little quieter, the rhythm when the male vocals came in threw me a bit. You could fix that by having the piano play that rhythm on first run through underneath the melody, then it wouldn`t be so much of a surprise, or have the male vocals chanting the same rhythm as the piano is now. The melody on first run through gets a little buried in the mix at times and I would like to hear it a little louder.

Thanks for posting!

Top Bottom