What's new

Ólafur Arnalds Stratus — Available To Pre-order

I didn't read all 4 pages but did anyone else think - "Noire" library?

It's easy to think that, but if you've ever watched a live video of recent performances of Olafur's, this is accomplished in a totally different way. I think the walkthrough will make that more apparent.

It's easy to think that, but if you've ever watched a live video of recent performances of Olafur's, this is accomplished in a totally different way. I think the walkthrough will make that more apparent.

Yep - the walkthroughs will help evaluate. I mention this because if this trailer track was a 'temp' on a project - my first thought is yes, I have that library to reproduce that vibe (using Noire). This is coming from someone that has MOST of the Olafur (SF) libraries - my favorites of SF - IMHO.

I didn't read all 4 pages but did anyone else think - "Noire" library?

Yes, but even before Noire, Olafur came up with this:

I don't know how much of this stratus is a "software version" of this but Noire certainly seemed like an early attempt to "copy" this. And it was interesting to see that Nils Frahm was behind Noire, a close friend and collaborator of Olafur Arnalds.

Is it just me or does this seem to be a weird time to release a new sample library? Asking people to spend $250 to $400 when this crisis is happening seems a bit insensitive. I understand businesses need to make money, but we as individuals need to focus on our health, food, supplies, because our livelihoods will be affected as well. I am wondering if Spitfire is going to be donating any of their profits from this to help people in need or to help combat the virus.

Is it just me or does this seem to be a weird time to release a new sample library? Asking people to spend $250 to $400 when this crisis is happening seems a bit insensitive. I understand businesses need to make money, but we as individuals need to focus on our health, food, supplies, because our livelihoods will be affected as well. I am wondering if Spitfire is going to be donating any of their profits from this to help people in need or to help combat the virus.

I hate to reply to this because the last thing we need is this thread to go down a SJW rabbit hole but ...

Actually, I think it is important for everyone to try and maintain a sense of normalcy (consistent with your national and local guidance on managing the spread of the disease) and not give into panic, which most of the news media is fanning the flames of (it's what they do). I see Spitfire's continuing to offer new products as productive since it keeps their staff employed and able to care for their families. I actually view a stance of thinking businesses should stop functioning rather insensitive to the business owners and employees. I refuse to go into "zombie apocalypse mode" and shut down everything but worrying about coronavirus 24x7. I plan on ordering takeout more often, for instance, than I might normally just because I want to help keep small businesses and their service employees going in these times.

Back to Stratus ...

I hate to reply to this because the last thing we need is this thread to go down a SJW rabbit hole but ...

Actually, I think it is important for everyone to try and maintain a sense of normalcy (consistent with your national and local guidance on managing the spread of the disease) and not give into panic, which most of the news media is fanning the flames of (it's what they do). I see Spitfire's continuing to offer new products as productive since it keeps their staff employed and able to care for their families. I actually view a stance of thinking businesses should stop functioning rather insensitive to the business owners and employees. I refuse to go into "zombie apocalypse mode" and shut down everything but worrying about coronavirus 24x7. I plan on ordering takeout more often, for instance, than I might normally just because I want to help keep small businesses and their service employees going in these times.

Back to Stratus ...

Just going to post the EXACT same sentiment. Good job.

Last edited:

Back to Stratus ...

Pianos are a big part of my coping strategy, especially the Olafur piano.

Life goes on, even after the COVID 19...
If this is a way to support an artist, yes I am in!

Life will hit us hard anyways

tell this to all Spitfire employees. They rely on this company to finance their life through this crisis. I guess we all had have a shitty week. If you prefer to focus on yourself, fair play. Simply don't but the library.

How does the matrix work?
" Where our Evo Grid technology is triggered by note range, the Stratus matrix works by voice groups — dependent on the order in which you play the notes, and how many you play. "

Thanks for the supportive comments!

Just a quick note: we have the same 1% “people fund” as Patagonia. 1% of our turnover goes into a charity fund that we use to support a variety of causes. For example one of our partners is “magic breakfast” who provide school kids who are not getting fed at home with breakfast so they can concentrate in class.

we also pay royalties on all our products to the talented musicians who play on them - it’s a vital extra source of income especially in these times.

we are going to be doing more during this period to help our community - work is in progress so watch this space.

from me personally - I wish you all safety and security through this period - anyone suffering anxiety may be interested in recent posts on BTs twitter feed - he suggests a very simple technique that can help.

as humans - we really are all in this together. Let’s try and keep as “normal” as possible through this time - keep communicating with each other - in my village we’ve set up a community help group so we can pick up medicine or shopping for our vulnerable neighbours, maybe help with manual work - even just be there for a comforting phone chat.

we will get through this, and who knows maybe a few things will have changed for the better.
P x

First off, my intention was not to be a fear-mongerer, not in the slightest. At the sametime what is happening is serious and is not just some “seasonal flu”. To think otherwise is very dangerous, for the safety of ourselves, our family and others we need to be vigilante.

That being said, I love SA as a company, I think you guys make brilliant libraries. I was just opening up a conversation, thank you for your response Paul! I 100% agree that we need to be positive and stick together in this time! My purpose is to always make people think and see from a different perspective! I hope all of you fellow human beings on this forum are safe, healthy, and have enough support to get through this uncertain time! I agree that music is something powerful and beautiful that can help us all get through these hard times! Keep on creating!

Is it just me or does this seem to be a weird time to release a new sample library?
Is it just me or does this seem to be a weird time to be provocative in a divisive way over a trivial matter rather than to encourage unity?

I can't see what WE have to GAIN by SA delaying it?
If SA had felt the need to delay it for THEIR own gain then I would have supported that.
We can live without another new Sample Library for an extended period. Yes, really. :shocked:

Apple announced a range of new products today which might mean people making extra journeys to purchase said products, which could help the spread of the virus.
Is that irresponsible?
At least with sample libraries it is mainly a non physical delivery method.
All the human interaction of the development phase is mainly or completely in the past.
@paulthomson for example could produce the walk-through in his home studio I suspect and upload it ASAP. Hint, hint! ;)

Thanks for everybody's response. I appreciate and respect each one of your perspectives! That is why I love this forum! I am just as excited for this library as the rest of you and I am glad we can have respectful conversations even if we have differing opinions! I truly believe good will come from this period we are experiencing now. It's giving us all pause, to reassess our lives, the way world is, the way it could be, I think good things are going to be on the other end of this, that is what I cling onto! :2thumbs:

Top Bottom