What's new

Spitfire Audio: Abbey Road Two - Iconic Strings

I red your messages. I'm working in dev industry, please consider these things are done by humans and are error prone. So be nice, there's people on like you and me on the other side. Imho, we should not blame ppl for doing errors but inform them and encourage them to fix them.
Thanks again Karma for taking care of all those things!
I don't think I was very rude or particularly agressive in this thread (just a little bit, trying to keep being polite).
I just express my concern of a bug that seems pretty easy to avoid if the plug is tested by a normal beta team, regarding a very expensive product you are not allowed to demo or re-sell and that had some issues since the day of its release 2 years ago. A bug that seems basic, but is actually preventing me to recall the whole work I did with the plugin in the last 2 years (so it's a pretty bad issue)...

I don't belong to a business like Spitfire Audio, that has around 100 employees and has an estimated annual revenue of around $20.5M per year (as I can see on the net : I was pretty amazed at that number).
I am my own boss, and I earn what I need to survive with music (which is already not that bad).
But if I deliver a mix for which I am paid peanuts with such a coarse issue (like, I forgot to include the hi-hat or the 2nd violin), someone will ask me for a quick correction, and will not tap my back telling me it's not a problem because everybody's doing some mistake.
Same if I forget my line on stage. The audience will not talk to me after the gig telling me it's not a problem, everybody is making mistakes, gig was cool, even considering this very embarassing empty moment in the middle of the last song.
I mean, how many of us did pay more than 300€ for this library ?
Since how long are we waiting for an update ?
And again, show me just an exemple in the industry of such a stupid mistake done to an update that spoils so deeply your use of a plugin (again, NI is quite a champion in this field since some years : it's been months I'm afraid to even launch Native Access).
To give an exemple of a similar situation, I remember I updated Equick (DMG Audio) some months ago, and the plugin was not processing nothing due to a mistake they did in the update : I did send an email to the support and few hours laters (or maybe 1-2 days, I don't remember) the fix was online. I was a bit amazed that this issue could pass the beta testing process, but at least they did quickly what was necessary not to spoil their customers with an issue that just forbid you to work.

It seems Spitfire has a different take on their responsability as developpers. They may give us a fix soon, but given the background I have some doubts about it (sorry in advance to Spitfire if the fix is released today).

I did not buy an expensive toy, I bought a tool with some professional purpose.
It was an expensive tool, with no demo, no resell policy. I think I can demand some more reliability given these conditions.

P.S. : and by the way, I'm even more angry on the people defending Spitfire than on Spitfire themselves. I mean, are you receiveing free libraries from them ? Are you some kind of influencers with some hidden interest in that game ? Or are you some kind of strange masochists that like to pay for unreliables tools and just adore superior authority, whatever the authority in question ? Would you be the kind of person to support a government because "politic is difficult", if the government in question is turning your country into a mess and seems to serve some superior causes (usually, the interests of upper-class) instead of those of the people ?

I don't think I was very rude or particularly agressive in this thread (just a little bit, trying to keep being polite).
I just express my concern of a bug that seems pretty easy to avoid if the plug is tested by a normal beta team, regarding a very expensive product you are not allowed to demo or re-sell and that had some issues since the day of its release 2 years ago. A bug that seems basic, but is actually preventing me to recall the whole work I did with the plugin in the last 2 years (so it's a pretty bad issue)...

I don't belong to a business like Spitfire Audio, that has around 100 employees and has an estimated annual revenue of around $20.5M per year (as I can see on the net : I was pretty amazed at that number).
I am my own boss, and I earn what I need to survive with music (which is already not that bad).
But if I deliver a mix for which I am paid peanuts with such a coarse issue (like, I forgot to include the hi-hat or the 2nd violin), someone will ask me for a quick correction, and will not tap my back telling me it's not a problem because everybody's doing some mistake.
Same if I forget my line on stage. The audience will not talk to me after the gig telling me it's not a problem, everybody is making mistakes, gig was cool, even considering this very embarassing empty moment in the middle of the last song.
I mean, how many of us did pay more than 300€ for this library ?
Since how long are we waiting for an update ?
And again, show me just an exemple in the industry of such a stupid mistake done to an update that spoils so deeply your use of a plugin (again, NI is quite a champion in this field since some years : it's been months I'm afraid to even launch Native Access).
To give an exemple of a similar situation, I remember I updated Equick (DMG Audio) some months ago, and the plugin was not processing nothing due to a mistake they did in the update : I did send an email to the support and few hours laters (or maybe 1-2 days, I don't remember) the fix was online. I was a bit amazed that this issue could pass the beta testing process, but at least they did quickly what was necessary not to spoil their customers with an issue that just forbid you to work.

It seems Spitfire has a different take on their responsability as developpers. They may give us a fix soon, but given the background I have some doubts about it (sorry in advance to Spitfire if the fix is released today).

I did not buy an expensive toy, I bought a tool with some professional purpose.
It was an expensive tool, with no demo, no resell policy. I think I can demand some more reliability given these conditions.

P.S. : and by the way, I'm even more angry on the people defending Spitfire than on Spitfire themselves. I mean, are you receiveing free libraries from them ? Are you some kind of influencers with some hidden interest in that game ? Or are you some kind of strange masochists that like to pay for unreliables tools and just adore superior authority, whatever the authority in question ? Would you be the kind of person to support a government because "politic is difficult", if the government in question is turning your country into a mess and seems to serve some superior causes (usually, the interests of upper-class) instead of those of the people ?
Your message was polite enough. You've been trying to get feedback from other users to find a quick solution for yourself until SpitFire can fix it. Big companies with low quality have to accept the price of their strategies, nothing wrong with your request. They can't have low quality services and expect their customers to be satisfied and happy.

If Steinberg released an update that would make all previous articulation maps broken, many people would quickly get much more angry than you, and Steinberg would probably fix it quickly. There are bugs that are acceptable, others that are not.

But you are patient and just exposing your issue. That should help SpitFire find solutions to improve their quality ; in general that's what companies want. There's nothing worse than running a business, being unaware of issues and not even understanding why people complain. So for me you are actually helping SpitFire and other users that may come across the same issue. That's what a forum is for.

thanks for the support @Mitsu99

I actually don't think I spend my time ranting on this forum : I just noticed everybody about this issue, and then had to deal with some guys telling me I was the problem instead of Spitfire.
How am I supposed to react against that ?
Is it a forum or a temple for Holy Spitfire ?

@tjr @Soundbed
Are you using the AU version of the plugin ? Like I already said, the AU version is ok.
My system configuration is not that crazy : a Mac using vst3 (I don't think the DAW enters into the equation).
The bug was acknowledged by the Spitfire Support and it seems it's just an issue with the ID of the plugin : basic mistake, and not system dependent. You just don't want to use vst3...

BUT if you don't have any issue while using the vst3 plugin on a Mac, then it's more complicated than what I was thinking. And I can say hello to my previous sessions with AR2 in it...
I always use VST3 when I can, in Studio One, not AU unless AU is the only option.

I only tried the VST3 version and it worked flawlessly after the update.

I actually don't think I spend my time ranting on this forum : I just noticed everybody about this issue, and then had to deal with some guys telling me I was the problem instead of Spitfire.
How am I supposed to react against that ?
Is it a forum or a temple for Holy Spitfire ?
@Calagan
Thank you for the note. I'm sure some people will find it helpful. Now try to move on - it's a new day :)

I've not had a chance to update yet. So...how's everyone who has the Pro version getting on with the update?

I look forward to giving it a whirl.

I've not had a chance to update yet. So...how's everyone who has the Pro version getting on with the update?

I look forward to giving it a whirl.
Haven’t had any issues with the pro version 😀only used au though. Was a nice update for me.

After the update everything was fine when using AR2 in an empty session, but I just loaded an old session with previous instnces of AR2 in it, and Ableton Live says it can't find the "Abbey Road 2" vst3 plugin. Even if, obviously, the vst3 file with this exact same name is here in my plugin folder and is working ok if I drop it in a track.

Can you recall sessions you did before the update ?
Ok, now that I looked back and read some of your messages more closely, I can reproduce your issue in Studio One 5.5.2.8628 on Mac Studio, M1 Max, MacOS 12.5.1.
  • New session, new AU and VST3 work perfectly.
  • Old session, previous version of AU works perfectly (I found one session where I used the AR2 as an AU).
  • Old session, previous version of VST3 is no longer recognized. Message in Studio One is: "The device is not installed on your system!"
"Funny" enough, it looks like it was a session where I was testing another issue reported by this group, moving legato up a scale. I was able to replace the instrument, select the mics, and play the part with no (other) issues.

So, I'm sure it's frustrating for you. But, it's also something that can be worked around in a few minutes of time spent swapping the instruments.

I still have plenty of old sessions where I rely on the DAW to save many instrument settings.

But I've started to get into the habit of using automation lanes, to adjust important settings at the start of the session / sequence, in case updates like these impact my instruments or effects.

Also, I try not to update any critical software in the middle of "big" projects. I usually save most of my updates for this time of year, when I come on to VI-Control for a couple months ... then I slither back into my den for the winter.

I know these "tips" won't help you now, but it's something to keep in mind, to perhaps save yourself a little trouble later.

1704734096944.png

By the way, reading through some of your posts (even in other threads), it sounds like you've been having a tough time lately (health etc.) ... I'm sorry things have not been going well. I hope you feel better soon!

Does anyone know how to submit a problem to spitfire? There seems to be a ton of irrelevant articles browse though but no way to actually submit your problem. There's video on youtube, but the "submit a request" tab is now absent. AR2 no longer finds samples despite pointing the app to the right location.
Article on how to submit an issue, either "real time" help or bug reports:

The form to submit an issue (linked from the article above, current as of this posting):

@Calagan : @Soundbed

I had missed the part about the reported problems being specifically with loading old VST projects.

Unfortunately, it looks like I've only used AR2 strings as an AU plugin since I got it, so while it does indeed seem to be working fine for me, this is meaningless in relation to the specific problem reported! Hopefully Spitfire can and will fix it.

The update seems to work fine but I’m disappointed they didn’t fix the volume issues with the second violin legato. Seems like such an easy fix, why would they just skip it?!

@Soundbed
ah ah ah... Thanks for your concern about me, but everything is ok (I mean, it's not worst than normally). And I even don't need to recall any previous session using AR2 for the moment : but I have many sessions with AR2 that are not finished, so sooner or later I will need a fix.

The reason I may feel nervous is because I truly can't stand anymore these kind of crazy issues coming from companies with dozen/hundred of employees and weighting millions of $, when there is never any issues with small companies like Valhalla, Tokyo Dawn Labs, DMG Audio, Fuse Audio Labs, Klanghelm etc. etc. etc.

In 2023, I spent much too much time dealing with issues that shouldn't exist. I spent a lot of money on Plugin Alliance, Native Instruments and Spitfire, and this last year I had only troubles with these 3 brands - Native Instrument being the worst I ever experienced (just check the threads about Native Access or K6 libraries compatibility in the NI forum : it's unbelievable).

Anyway, thanks for the tips but I will just wait for the Spitfire's fix. I just hope they will deliver one day (after waiting 2 years for an update to AR2, I can have some legitimate doubts).

ok... It's been 2 weeks I did noticed the Spitfire support of the AR2 bug. No fix so far.

I don't want to appear as the guy who rants on Vi-Control, but I don't think we will get any fix in a decent time frame... Maybe not any fix at any moment... And not even the possibility to download previous version (which is a pretty basic temporary fix)...

I'm not a coder also, but if the issue comes from the fact they gave the wrong ID to the vst3 plugin, why does it seem so complicated to fix ? Don't tell me it will ruin the sessions you made with the updated plugin : is it better to break 2 years of work or 2 weeks ?
The more they wait, the more a fix will mess people's work... After some time, fixing the plugin will not make any sense...

Good afternoon - please be advised we have just released another update to Abbey Road Two: Iconic Strings (standard and Professional versions), which should be landing in accounts over the next couple of hours.

This fixes the issue with loading VST3s in older sessions, for which we received reports on after the previous 1.0.12 update.

The new update will be version 1.0.12 (product in app), which in turn updates the plugin to version 1.1.1.

Please do contact us at spitfireaudio.com/support (using the help widget in bottom right) if there are any problems applying this update, or if you have any further questions or concerns.

(Edited to correct product number typo - should be v1.0.12, applied to the Resources section only)

Last edited:
ok... It's been 2 weeks I did noticed the Spitfire support of the AR2 bug. No fix so far.

I don't want to appear as the guy who rants on Vi-Control, but I don't think we will get any fix in a decent time frame... Maybe not any fix at any moment... And not even the possibility to download previous version (which is a pretty basic temporary fix)...
I love a good roasting of Spitfire as much as anyone, but...

This post aged like cottage cheese under a heat lamp.

I love a good roasting of Spitfire as much as anyone, but...

This post aged like cottage cheese under a heat lamp.
Indeed.

This forum is increasingly becoming a rant fest in most threads.

If these tools didn't exist, even with some imperfections, many people wouldn't even be able to do the work they do.

Normally I wouldn't say anything because it's not worth it but I just want to show some appreciation for the active presence I've been seeing around here, not only by the spitfire team but also other developers.

Good afternoon - please be advised we have just released another update to Abbey Road Two: Iconic Strings (standard and Professional versions), which should be landing in accounts over the next couple of hours.

This fixes the issue with loading VST3s in older sessions, for which we received reports on after the previous 1.0.12 update.

The new update will be version 1.0.13 (product in app), which in turn updates the plugin to version 1.1.1.

Please do contact us at spitfireaudio.com/support (using the help widget in bottom right) if there are any problems applying this update, or if you have any further questions or concerns.
Any chance for a sale on AR2? :]

Top Bottom