What's new

Spitfire Audio: Abbey Road Two - Iconic Strings

Spitfire can now spend that much more time improving Abbey Road Two Iconic Strings, and hopefully bringing us Abbey Road Two Iconic Small Brass Section! :)
Yes, please! My thoughts exactly. Honestly, having another section of any kind to complement the strings would open up many possibilities. Brass would be wonderful (a couple of solo horns at least for those pop ballads). I hope it will happen and that the focus won’t solely be on adding instruments to the AR1 line. I really like the smaller studio space/sound.

Just checked and it looks like the only other instruments recorded in the same space are Mrs. Mills Piano and Jangle Box Piano. I only have the former and I wonder how well these blend with the strings seeing as they share the same recording venue. I’d like to compare the mics and give it a whirl.

Reactions: tjr
Running a forum means keeping a database up and running, ostensibly moderating out spam, tending to user requests, maintaining some additional level of security, etc. They may have simply not been seeing enough traffic / value on their own forum to warrant the time and expense to keep it up.

I've run just plain simple Wordpress blogs that I'm sure had far, far less traffic than anything Spitfire does, and the comments were constantly filled with spam. Keeping the Wordpress software and MySQL software and Apache software up to date, while not really that complicated of a task, can be an annoyance.

Telling their users to go chat on Reddit or VI-Control -- both of whom are in the core business of providing forums -- probably makes good sense. Spitfire can now spend that much more time improving Abbey Road Two Iconic Strings, and hopefully bringing us Abbey Road Two Iconic Small Brass Section! :)
I thought about writing the same thing. It seems the money and efforts spent running these forums maybe weren't worth it - ie. money and resources better spent elsewhere.

I'm all for constructive criticism, but give Spitfire Audio some slack. They have made strong efforts lately releasing library fixes, which is not cheap in terms of labor costs. If you want to talk about extending a hand to their costumers, this is it.

Hi all!

I, like the rest of you, have been LONG anticipating an update. The shorts in the library are so incredible that I bit the bullet and dealt with the myriad of bugs and used it as the core of a new Netflix show.

Said Netflix show is ongoing and I’m terrified to update. Have the issues with opening legacy sessions been resolved? Has anyone had good experiences where your old sessions open up seamlessly? I’m on Logic (no VSL etc)

Eek.
Bumping this question.... I know the forum convo is a hot topic but wondering if anyone has experience here?

Bumping this question.... I know the forum convo is a hot topic but wondering if anyone has experience here?
On my system, the last update is ok. And I was the first to rant when I noticed the update was actually broken...
I think they fixed the issue and there is no chance you'll get stuck with issues... But you can still archive the old vst3 plugin and replace the new if (for any strange reason) it's not working on your machine... Because the problem was with the vst3 plugin, not the library...

Getting a weird bug with abbey road 2. (surprise fucking surprise). Anyone else have this? (sorry if it's been discussed).

I just transferred my stuff to my new m3, running on Sonoma 14.4.1

I have a track where I'm using the cello shorts, only loading those.

EVERY TIME I open the logic project, that track loads the ensembles all in 1 patch instead of the cello shorts patch and I have to change it back and reload my mic positions.

What's going on? lol.

I couldn't imagine if I had like...15 tracks and they were all loading wrong...

Getting a weird bug with abbey road 2. (surprise fucking surprise). Anyone else have this? (sorry if it's been discussed).

I just transferred my stuff to my new m3, running on Sonoma 14.4.1

I have a track where I'm using the cello shorts, only loading those.

EVERY TIME I open the logic project, that track loads the ensembles all in 1 patch instead of the cello shorts patch and I have to change it back and reload my mic positions.

What's going on? lol.

I couldn't imagine if I had like...15 tracks and they were all loading wrong...
I recently did a clean wipe and reinstall as well. For me setting the default preset to load to "None" worked this time around.

Though I haven't had any of my previous projects load the wrong patch, I suspect this could fix it.

Reactions: tjr
I’m wondering if this library will suit this type of pop music? (More like indie, alternative, folk style) phoebe bridgers, lizzy mcalpine etc…
Im ready to buy this Ar2 or Chris hein solo string.
What do you guys think?

I’m wondering if this library will suit this type of pop music? (More like indie, alternative, folk style) phoebe bridgers, lizzy mcalpine etc…
What do you guys think?
I think they sound overly tuned, and therefore synth-like when they play harmonies. This is what has been keeping me from buying them, despite listening to every demo I could find hoping to have that impression proven wrong.

I'd like to buy this library with the current 50% coupon (Professional version). Could someone tell me approximately how much time it takes to load a patch on an SSD disk now that the library has been fixed and updated? I heard in an old video (before the update) that it could take several minutes.

I'd like to buy this library with the current 50% coupon (Professional version). Could someone tell me approximately how much time it takes to load a patch on an SSD disk now that the library has been fixed and updated? I heard in an old video (before the update) that it could take several minutes.
On my system - M2 Mac Studio with the library on a Samsung QVO870 SATA attached to a BlackMagic rack unit (so not exactly a speed-demon setup), it looks as though the Spitfire plugin reads in data at around 35-50Mbyte/s. So, the 3GB all-in-one ensemble patch at default load settings takes a little over a minute. Sections run at about half that and then legato patches tend be around the 400-500Mbyte mark, so a little under 10 seconds.

YMMV.

What do you guys think?
That’s precisely the kind of music I use it for. I think it fits brillantly with indie stuff.

Hi! I would love to hear some feedback as I'm debating between core and pro. I think this is the best place to ask for it. Someone mentioned that the pro version has more issues? Pros and cons of each one. Dont know how much in size can be reduced from pro version by deleting some of the Mics. Thanks in advance! Is the 100 price difference worth it (with the sales) for Pro over core?

Last edited:
Indeed the bugs seem to be gone thanks to the last update/fix...
At least, I didn't notice any bugs recently (I may be wrong, because of what follows).
But after 2 years of owning this library, I must say I didn't use it much. The sound is truly too synth-like and I didn't manage to find a way to use it in a positive way... Shorts are great, but the most used articulations of a string library are the legato and the longs, and they have this peculiar sound I was thinking appealing at first but is actually difficult to use in most contexts...

Indeed the bugs seem to be gone thanks to the last update/fix...
At least, I didn't notice any bugs recently (I may be wrong, because of what follows).
But after 2 years of owning this library, I must say I didn't use it much. The sound is truly too synth-like and I didn't manage to find a way to use it in a positive way... Shorts are great, but the most used articulations of a string library are the legato and the longs, and they have this peculiar sound I was thinking appealing at first but is actually difficult to use in most contexts...
A lot of its appeal is in the sound design element so try doing some extreme panning and positioning to see if it appeals to you then. Like try putting 2 articulations right up close to your head and then another 2 in the middle of the room and another two in the far in the back. Disclaimer, I didn't buy Abbey Road. But I watched the walkthrough and listened to the demos and this was my analysis.

Top Bottom