What's new

Spitfire Audio : Abbey Road 1 Modular Orchestra - Speculation Thread.

I think we're going to see the Pro level going for somewhere around $600-$800 and Core at $400-$500. People were shocked at the sticker price of the percussion element pricing, so it only makes sense the flagship strings will be even more.
Yeah, I could see this. I don't see it as probable only because I think the percussion libraries set a basic price level for each pro unit at around $500. But I can't say that I'd be surprised if it hit your range instead of mine.

I wonder how many legato transition types are recorded for this. SCS performance legatos already have I believe:

- Legato fingered
- Legato Bowed
- Legato Portemento
- Legato Fast
- Legato Runs

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I always found SCS’s performance legato cumbersome.

I think the idea is solid but because the implementation was little laggy and the sound uneven, I never felt compelled to learn to play the patch properly.

Perhaps with a snappier implementation these issues would be sorted - I tend to prefer simplicity but I’m open to dipping my toes into this pool again if the sound is worth it.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I always found SCS’s performance legato cumbersome.

I think the idea is solid but because the implementation was little laggy and the sound uneven, I never felt compelled to learn to play the patch properly.

Perhaps with a snappier implementation these issues would be sorted - I tend to prefer simplicity but I’m open to dipping my toes into this pool again if the sound is worth it.
I've always quite liked the performance legatos :)

Yeah, I tend to trigger SCS legato with UACC and articulation sets. Since the Spitfire Player doesn't implement UACC, I'm wondering a bit how well regular keyswitches triggered from articulations sets will work.

The sound is amazing and has me excited to hear more.

Spitfire unfortunately did their Spitfire Thing and made Core "just under-specced enough to be annoying". Taking out portamento slurs, detache, and attack variations really pushes me towards buying Pro.

if they make Core users throw up CTA mics (aka: triple the RAM) and reserve the mixes for Pro that would be... a little silly even for SF.

Last edited:
The runs or fast legato doesn’t sound too convincing to me.
Some sounded better than others to me. I rather liked many of the attacks, and especially the variety, as well as the shaping of the notes. I didn't especially like the portamento at the end.

Spitfire unfortunately did their Spitfire Thing and made Core "just under-specced enough to be annoying". Taking out portamento slurs & attack variations really pushes me towards buying Pro.
I don't know, it would seem that SF has every reason to want someone like you to feel like they needed to buy pro. You more than most of us here are rather the target audience for the Pro version.

Because if they make Core users throw up CTA mics (aka: triple the RAM) and reserve the mixes for Pro that would be... a little silly even for SF.
This is basically how SSO and SCS work, though. The very nice, economical stereo mixes are reserved for Pro, whereas core requires you to mix mics. It's true they haven't done quite the same thing since. Still, I think the most likely model for pro/core is AR2.

Look at the ram! It’s crazy for one string section.

One thing to be aware of is that the Spitfire player will show the total RAM used for all instances of the same plugin. So if that project also has some of the ARO percussion stuff loaded (or other instruments not yet released), the RAM usage reported will be the total for everything.

Of course, the strings alone with all articulations loaded (there's 4 pages, so between 25 - 32 articulations), and perhaps more than one mic, it can certainly be that high just for the 1st violins.

The sound is amazing and has me excited to hear more.

Spitfire unfortunately did their Spitfire Thing and made Core "just under-specced enough to be annoying". Taking out portamento slurs, detache, and attack variations really pushes me towards buying Pro.

if they make Core users throw up CTA mics (aka: triple the RAM) and reserve the mixes for Pro that would be... a little silly even for SF.
Has this differentiation been confirmed? I might have missed it.

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 18.17.19.png

Just a thought: Here's a screen grab of BBCSO Core Flutes. Note that both extended and "normal" Legatos are available. There's a possibility that the "normal" legatos will be a resource saving option on the "pro" version of the strings.

In other words (unless I've missed it already) it's not a given that the extended stuff won't be available on Core. That said, the argument that SFA will use it a differentiator is a strong and solid one. It would be a shame. Borking that, stripping articulations and also a single mix only would make Core much less of a proposition. I guess we'll see Thursday.

Where has this been confirmed? I didn't think any particular details about what Core will have versus Pro were announced as of yet.

If you're just going by the "Extended version" note in the Instagram post, that doesn't mean it's a Pro-only thing. BBCSO does the same thing – even in Core, there are several instruments that have both a "Legato" and a "Legato (Extended)" articulation, with the latter using more CPU for improved quality.

I guess there's also the marketing aspect. It's one thing to create a song and dance about your new tech and then in the same sentence say your core product won't have it. That would a difficult sale.

In other words (unless I've missed it already) it's not a given that the extended stuff won't be available on Core. That said, the argument that SFA will use it a differentiator is a strong and sold one. It would be a shame. Borking that, stripping articulations and also a single mix only would make Core much less of a proposition. I guess we'll see Thursday.
There are ways core could be constructed that it is both very useful to many, while still offering enticements for the upgrade. Arguably portamento is one of those (how necessary is it for rendering credible mockups of contemporary orchestral playing?), but things like extended trills (greater than a major second), sul tasto and sul pont and various other decorative articulations, a larger than usual allotment of shorts, legatos covering various situations (like sul tasto and sul pont), maybe variations in vibrato. Core would still cover 95% of the uses, as Paul puts it, but for someone who wants to cover the rest (or close to the rest), you'd need to invest in Pro. That seemed to be what they aimed for in AR2, though they might not have drawn the line in quite the right place.

I also think we don't know yet what "extended" means for this library. The BBCSO flute example suggests one thing, though the interpretation that "extended" likely means "pro" is also at least plausible.

Top Bottom