What's new

Spitfire Audio : Abbey Road 1 Modular Orchestra - Speculation Thread.

Edit: and Spitfire in the commercial announcements forum said V1 is “nearly here” with more details to come “very soon”, so I’d say that indicates it’s more likely that V1 will come out in the next quarter or so.

Spitfire seem to run campaigns very close to release, like teasing a new product a few days before it's released. Let's hope they continue that tradition. 😁

I'm wondering if the whole Abbey Road Orchestral Foundations was forced on them by Covid. It's a wild guess but what if they were half way through making this big library , had a bunch of stuff recorded then covid hit. They couldn't do anything so they released a bunch of little libraries to keep busy and generate new income all the while planing on finishishing the new monster when they could!

it would explain a lot.

Just a theory and apologies if I'm behind on this, and it's already been suggested

Best

ed

Here are two things I noticed about the announcement:

- Paul says the core version will have "95% of the functionality you use all the time". I'm wondering if he really means that, or if he wanted to say "all the functionality you use 95% of the time". If he meant it the way he said it this would imply that whenever someone reaches for the core library they would find that something essential is missing.

- He chooses the word "functionality" which I think is intentionally vague. However, it makes me think of features rather than content. If the only difference is in "functionality", does that mean that both libraries will have the same articulations? The Pro version then could have real divisi recordings, polyphonic legato etc.
However, I think this is rather unlikely and I expect something like SCS Essential for the Core version.

English isn't my first language, so I'd be especially curious to hear what native speakers think about this :)

Paul says the core version will have "95% of the functionality you use all the time". I'm wondering if he really means that, or if he wanted to say "all the functionality you use 95% of the time". If he meant it the way he said it this would imply that whenever someone reaches for the core library they would find that something essential is missing.
I wondered about this too. Core could be a very cut down set of articulations, maybe not a whole lot more than SCS Essentials. That would likely mean an even larger spread in price between core and pro. After his description I feel confident that there will be more differences between core and pro than just microphones, that is, I think pro will have more articulations, perhaps many more, and they will be presented as extended or decorative, things like sul tasto, sul pont, trills larger than a second, different speeds of trem, maybe alternative notes on different strings, etc. Given the 95% comment Core might look something like Berlin Symphonic Strings in terns of articulations, and Pro maybe similar to Hollywood Strings or even beyond. But who really knows? I do hope that the articulation list for pro feels entirely comprehensive, with no corners cut.

I'm wondering if the whole Abbey Road Orchestral Foundations was forced on them by Covid. It's a wild guess but what if they were half way through making this big library , had a bunch of stuff recorded then covid hit. They couldn't do anything so they released a bunch of little libraries to keep busy and generate new income all the while planing on finishishing the new monster when they could!

it would explain a lot.

Just a theory and apologies if I'm behind on this, and it's already been suggested

Best

ed
This is what Christian said in October 2020:

This would have been quite a bit to record during covid restrictions!

This is what Christian said in October 2020:

This would have been quite a bit to record during covid restrictions!
no already recorded before lockdown. Just edited and released during Lockdown

best

e

Reactions: tjr
Here are two things I noticed about the announcement:

- Paul says the core version will have "95% of the functionality you use all the time". I'm wondering if he really means that, or if he wanted to say "all the functionality you use 95% of the time". If he meant it the way he said it this would imply that whenever someone reaches for the core library they would find that something essential is missing.

- He chooses the word "functionality" which I think is intentionally vague. However, it makes me think of features rather than content. If the only difference is in "functionality", does that mean that both libraries will have the same articulations? The Pro version then could have real divisi recordings, polyphonic legato etc.
However, I think this is rather unlikely and I expect something like SCS Essential for the Core version.

English isn't my first language, so I'd be especially curious to hear what native speakers think about this :)
You know some users at VI control have fallen to another level of madness when a single word is isolated in a quick peek video and scrutinized. 😜

Don't overthink it. If it's considered 'essential' it'll be covered by 95%. It could be sonething simple as more articulations, more fx, more mics mixes, look at the differences between core/pro In everything else they've released, or, an approach like Joshua Bell. There's no point speculating until it's released.

Core might be essential articulations, Pro extended decorative, special techniques. We really need 3 essential Mic positions, 1 Mix at least in core. Close, Tree, Ambient. The BBSCO approach for Core/Pro doesn’t work good with only a washed or distant Mix… that doesn’t cover 95% at our daily tasks.

Core might be essential articulations, Pro extended decorative, special techniques. We really need 3 essential Mic positions, 1 Mix at least in core. Close, Tree, Ambient. The BBSCO approach for Core/Pro doesn’t work good with only a washed or distant Mix… that doesn’t cover 95% at our daily tasks.
Core might be CTA or a Mix only but with all arts. Maybe missing legato options. Pro might be additional mics. The studio series, among others was designed in a similar fashion. I think it would be smart because it would deliver an easy upgrade path.

Funny that with VSL and the Spitfire SSO is that the difference between the standard and full (or Pro ) versions is the number of microphones and mixes, but the available articulations remain the same.

However, with this one it rather sounds like it will be the articulations that are curtailed.

I do prefer essential Mics than much more advanced arts, for a Core version. Then update later. With only 1 washed Mix as Core in BBCSO you can’t go any further in various contexts. So yeah I prefer fully essential arts and go later for special techniques.

I think that PT referring to 95% is suggesting that ARO will follow similar pattern now established by introducing SCS Essentials, being 3 times more affordable, but limited both in articulations and mic positions compared to the direct upper tier. I also can't imagine ARO Core having just 1 mix signal, when AROOF has more.

Sounds like there are 3 options being speculated?

A) the large majority of the basic articulations.. and one or two sets of mixes or maybe CTA or CTO
B) the large majority of the mics... but significant cuts among the daily-use articulations
C) a product more limited than either A or B

I'd rather have Core A even if Core B were significantly cheaper (like if Core A would be 20% off Pro and Core B would be 50% off, still give me Core A every time). And Core C doesn't interest me at any price - that's just gonna be another Studio Orchestra runaround.

If their Core plan is B or C, I'm very likely just gonna spring for Pro for these violins. Just to give this modular orchestra a fair shot and really see the depth of it. But I'm far from sold on buying Pro for all 5 string sections yet.

Last edited:
Would you rather have

A) 95% of the articulations (cutting things like sul pont., flautando, con sord.) and a small, inflexible, but truly 'complete in itself' set of mics (Mix1+2, or Mix1 alone. Or perhaps Tree, Outriggers and Close)

B) 95% of the mics but half or less the articulations with some truly significant cuts like "oops no staccatos" or "oops no run legato"

C) a product more limited than either A or B
A) without hesitation. That said, I'll likely end up getting the Pro version anyway. If Spitfire is smart about this Core will have "95% of the functionality you use all the time" (instead of the alternative I explained in my earlier post), so there will be a very good reason to get the Pro version.

Taking the speculation even further (sorry to anyone who doesn't like that, but you did come to the "speculation thread"... ;)), we might get Core and Pro now and an "Essential" or "Disover" version later down the line. In that case I imagine they would be split like this:
Pro: All articulations, all mics
Core: No fancy articulations like sul pont and only basic mic options - either Mix 1 & 2 or Mix 1, Close 1 and Tree 1. It would also lack at least one articulation that is relatively standard, e.g. there would be no con sordino at all or maybe no staccato.
Essential: Even further cut down selection of articulations and only Mix 1.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the key word used is functionality. So core may miss out the more advanced functionality. So core could come with the basic legato option (no performance legatos) with the pro version coming with the more advanced functionality (more legato options and more extended articulations).

I would like to have all the artics with 1 mix or CTA within Core - that would be optimal) But probably some articulations will be missing in Core..!)

Top Bottom